Scrolls Will Include "Aspects of Free to Play"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Scrolls Will Include "Aspects of Free to Play"

Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson says he hates free to play, but it's going to feature in Mojang's upcoming Scrolls anyway.

"Free to play" means different things to different people and in different games as well. To Notch, it's kind of like dealing crack; you lure them in with a freebie, get them hooked and then bleed them dry.

"The idea is to find a model where there basically is no cap on how much the player can spend, then try to encourage players to spend more and more money," he wrote in a recent Half-Life 2 [http://notch.tumblr.com/post/11856491580/i-hate-free-to-play]."

So why are so many games transitioning to F2P? Money, obviously. Zynga blazed the trail, bringing in roughly a bazillion dollars with games that even its most ardent supporters must admit are pretty thin, while numerous struggling MMOs have also found salvation in the model. And that's okay with Notch, whose concern appears to be not with the concept so much as with the misleading terminology.

"Instead of calling it 'free to play,' we should call it 'as expensive as you want it to be' or something," he wrote, adding that "people who think free to play is a great future are mostly game developers, not game players."

Nonetheless, Mojang's new game will sport some free to play functionality of its own, albeit under a different name. "And, yes, Scrolls will contain aspects of 'free to play'," Persson tweeted [http://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/128367858131550210]. "We won't call it 'free to play', though, as it's not a 'free' game."

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
I like Free to Play models so long as the free model is sufficiently fun, and you're not required to pay any money to get content if you don't want to.

Case in point: TF2 and LoL/HoN

They're more like extended demos in that regard, but Notch does bring up a good point about their leeching nature.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Scrolls? Are they making elders scrolls into a morpg? This is the first I've heard of it.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
luvd1 said:
Scrolls? Are they making elders scrolls into a morpg? This is the first I've heard of it.
You are the ONLY person i've ever seen that actually confused Notch's trademark of "Scrolls" with Bethesda's "The Elder Scrolls."

Maybe Bethesda really did have grounds for something or other here.

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
luvd1 said:

That's really funny.

Anyhow, I Agree. I usually would rather pay for a game than have it bleed me dry over the course of some months. That's why I stopped playing LoL, and why I'm so glad I have a HoN Legacy account.

Free to play is a myth!

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
You know what's funny? I thought this article was about the Elder Scrolls series for a second when I saw the title.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
^ What has been said before. Can't believe Bethesda fell for a troll's joke.

And I'm glad more people are embracing F2P. I'm one of those people who would love to play more of those games if it wasn't for the price cap. So what if I don't get ALL the cool items? I just wanna play. I'm looking at you, DC Universe. Let that be an example.

Mar 5, 2011
Zynga blazed no such trail. Companys like Nexon or Gamers First where in the F2P market long before Farmville hit mainstream. And Zynga wasn't the first on Facebook either.

Speakercone

May 21, 2010
This is an angle on Free to Play that I've not heard before. On the other hand, the same could be said of games whose pricing is subscription based. In either case, the temptation is to design the game as an elaborate skinner box in order to keep people subscribing or keep them buying hats.

What the F2P model also encourages is a constant stream of novelty on the part of the designers. League of Legends does this by ensuring delivery of new characters and skins. As I see it, if I play for free, I get to buy an occasional character with the gameplay-earned currency and otherwise get to play some random guys as well. That's not so bad, but I can also choose to pay for a character pack to get a bunch of guys to play. I can also drop a few bucks on a skin from time to time. I have no problem with that because I'm being provided value a la carte. If I don't want it, I don't buy it.

This is a problem for people with poor impulse control and die-hard completionists, but I don't see it as a skinner-box in the same way that WoW is. In fact, it's probably the best way to do F2P we've yet seen. Special mention also goes to TF2, though it would be nice if things were a bit clearer vis-a-vis how to get stuff without cash.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
Zynga didn't invent nor perfect the current f2p model... they jut made it more popular in the eyes of publichers, and even then, something along the lines of 80% of MMORPGs already had this model (free to play with item mall cash items).

I personally like the f2p (What happened to calling it freemium to seperate it from ACTUAL f2p games where there is NO money transaction?) model when done right.

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
This Scrolls better turn out to actually be a decent game after the whole lawsuit thing. If not I'll beat Mojang to death with a perfectly cubed stone.

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
thiosk said:
luvd1 said:
You are the ONLY person i've ever seen that actually confused Notch's trademark of "Scrolls" with Bethesda's "The Elder Scrolls."

Maybe Bethesda really did have grounds for something or other here.
hey it caught me to, I mean this close to skyrims release with all the hype and they make something just called 'scrolls'? I thought it was a just a lazy title for elder scrolls ><

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
So he's saying the F2P model is a scam, but he's doing it anyway? I'd say "At least he's being honest about it" but then so is Bobby Kotick.

Carsus Tyrell said:
This Scrolls better turn out to actually be a decent game after the whole lawsuit thing. If not I'll beat Mojang to death with a perfectly cubed stone.
Just remember that jumping and hitting him on the way down does critical damage now. And be sure to save some of that golden apple for the rest of us.