Batman: Arkham City Ships 4.6 Million Copies in One Week

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Batman: Arkham City Ships 4.6 Million Copies in One Week

Batman: Arkham City has shipped more than 4.6 million units in its first week of release.

4.6 million is a big number. No matter what it is - money, people, videogames, whatever - if you've got 4.6 million of 'em, you've got a lot. And 4.6 million copies of Batman: Arkham City [http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham-City-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0JAVK/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319561121&sr=8-1-spell] shipped worldwide sure does sound impressive. But how many of them actually sold? Well, that's a different thing that nobody seems quite ready to talk about just yet.

Now fair is fair and to be fair, Arkham City is putting up some very impressive review scores, with a Metacritic rating firmly ensconced in the mid-90s. It's a hit, and it deserves to be. But in spite of WBIE's claim that the figure is "more than double the number of units sold of Batman: Arkham Asylum [http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham-Asylum-Platinum-Xbox-360/dp/B003C1I0CO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319561174&sr=8-1] in the same time period and solidifies the game's place as a contender for one of the top-selling titles of 2011," shipped ain't sold.

You probably already know what the difference is but if you're still trying to get it nailed down, just pop over to your local GameStop and ask how many copies of Arkham City it had available for launch day, then have a peek at how many are still sitting on the shelf. Or consider this: in mid-June, Take-Two announced that L.A. Noire [http://www.amazon.com/L-Noire-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J5UQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319561213&sr=8-1] had shipped more than four million copies, yet the game had sold "only" 899,000 copies in the U.S. and roughly 250,000 copies in the U.K. in the month of May. Those are very solid numbers by just about any measure, but let's be honest: one of them isn't quite like the other.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Yeah, nice playing with the language. It's not like they are made to order. Though there are so many of those units that were pre-ordered, so Gamestop and the like could tell us the preorder numbers..... though they won't.

I personally am waiting for the PC version to release. I own Arkham Asylum, so I can pick it up at only $40. I love Steam preorder sales.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
These aren't the returns that Arkham City needs, but it's the numbers that the City deserves.
HAHA, Nice. I see what you did there.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Great, now release a patch which fixes the autosave problem so I can continue to play Arkham City! :<

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
These aren't the returns that Arkham City needs, but it's the numbers that the City deserves.
This its really good, between Batman, Dark Souls uncharted 3 and Skyrim, Ahh what a time to be a gamer

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
Let's hope that covers their advertising costs on all of the Escapist video segments.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I'm still waiting to pick my copy up. Damn you and your perfection aiming for PC version!
The combat in this game looks phenomenal.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
therandombear said:
Great, now release a patch which fixes the autosave problem so I can continue to play Arkham City! :<
Distressing news is distressing.
What platform are you playing it on?
The 360. I've checked the arkham city forums, happening for other people aswell on different places, and then suddenly they got autosaves back, not for me though. >.<

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Always love these headlines for any product. We shipped this many, WOW. So what let me know if you manage to sell any...

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
therandombear said:
DVS BSTrD said:
therandombear said:
Distressing news is distressing.
What platform are you playing it on?
The 360. I've checked the arkham city forums, happening for other people aswell on different places, and then suddenly they got autosaves back, not for me though. >.<
http://files.sharenator.com/FUUUU_RE_FFFFFUUUU_Pizza-s508x387-44250-580.jpg
Know MY luck with machines, I'll end-up in the same boat as you.
This is all Mark Hamill's fault! Somehow...
Not everyone's getting it either, so you might dodge the bullet.

And some are saying suddenly autosave came back, I've been stuck at same point for 3 days now though, everytime I die I get sent back and everything up until then, gone. No autosave, even if I enter building or new area.

Zoe Castillo

Mar 4, 2011
it nice to see a good game do well .

now if they can stop counting their money for a moment and start working on the PC version I?d be even happier

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Doesn't the publisher care more about the number shipped than the number sold? I mean, they get paid for the ones they ship and then it's up to the retailers to sell them...

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
cefm said:
Let's hope that covers their advertising costs on all of the Escapist video segments.
What's that supposed to mean?
I think it's supposed to be some kind of back handed insult implying they bought a good review from you guys.

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
Hey look Spider-Man, Thor, and Captain America developers. Batman's going to sell more in 1 week than all of you combined in your lifetime. Maybe you guys should stop worrying about quick cash ins and actually try step your game up. Especially Spider-Man, there's no excuse with his powers and rogues gallery.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
It doesn't surprise me that Arkham City has sold so many copies.

Arkham Asylum received critical acclaim and the expectations for it's sequel were highly viewed by the people who enjoyed the first game.

There are a lot of comic book nerds/fans/geeks(however you wanna call them) that have been waiting for a good comic book game and it seems Rocksteady have found the magic formula.