Battlefield 3 on Xbox Looks Awful Without HD Texture Pack

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Battlefield 3 on Xbox Looks Awful Without HD Texture Pack

The world of non-HD Battlefield 3 is a very fuzzy place indeed.

Although Battlefield 3's PC graphics look amazing, things might be a little different for gamers playing the game on an Xbox. If your Xbox doesn't have Battlefield's HD texture pack installed - either because you don't have room or just don't have a hard drive - the graphics that you'll experience will be nothing like the gameplay we've seen [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113774-Battlefield-3s-Launch-Trailer-Highlights-Single-Player-Story] up until now.

The attached video, recorded by Battlefield: Bad Company 2 [http://wikigameguides.com/Battlefield-3/wiki/HD-Texture-Pack-Graphics-Comparison-16937] didn't look as good as the HD version of its sequel, but it didn't need any extras to maintain graphics superior to the non-HD display.

If you're planning on playing Battlefield 3 on an Xbox, it goes without saying that we'd recommend you make room for its HD texture pack on your hard drive. The video shows a non-HD world filled with disappearing graffiti, fuzzy tyres, floaty cardboard boxes and some generally very grainy gameplay that is to be avoided. The differences are really very stark, looking at times almost as if you're watching a modern gameplay video compared with one from several years ago. While it has to be said that this issue probably won't affect too many players, it does seem a little demanding. Though, that's probably what happens when you design a console game using the PC as your lead platform [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109304-DICE-Battlefield-3-Looks-Better-on-Consoles-Because-Were-Making-it-for-PC].

Source: WikiGamesGuide [http://wikigameguides.com/Battlefield-3/wiki/HD-Texture-Pack-Graphics-Comparison-16937]

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Yeah another point for the PC master race! We have to celebrate our wins whenever we can, because they're so rare now!

Wow, now I realise I'm not sure if my machine can play this game on max setting?

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
I don't understand why they even have these two different texture packs. Why not have it default for the game?

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Old.

Seriously, why can't the escapist come up with news that isn't a couple of days old? It'd be much better if it was actually current news.

Apr 28, 2008
So I'm fucked if I get it on the 360, then.

Got the old 12gb hard drive.

And no, I will not buy a bigger one, because it will be a cold day in hell when I pay $100 for a 120gb 360 hard drive when I can buy a 1tb hard drive for my PC for $60.

Microsoft can shove their over-priced hard drive where the sun don't shine.

And even if the graphics were super-good, the game itself is just pretty... meh. Ah well.

Sectan said:
I don't understand why they even have these two different texture packs. Why not have it default for the game?
Because there's not enough space for them on the disks the 360 uses.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Hevva said:
Though, that's probably what happens when you design a console game using the PC as your lead platform [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109304-DICE-Battlefield-3-Looks-Better-on-Consoles-Because-Were-Making-it-for-PC].
Erm, no else the PS3 would have the same problem. This is the same issue where Rage needed more HDD space on 360 than PS3 due to not having blu-ray. Stop trying to drum up consoles vs PC arguments. This has nothing to do with the PC being lead platform.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Fuck it, I was pretty on the fence about this game, but I will not go out and buy a new hard drive to replace my tiny, original sized model just for this game, I think I will just save my money this year

Frizzle

Nov 11, 2008
Wow that's bad. Like, really bad. I don't mean to make this sound fanboyish, cuz I was considering an Xbox but: Is the hardware really that far behind the PS3 and regular computers? If i didn't have that texture pack i'd be so pissed.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
The Xbox has very little RAM and relatively limited disk space, textures use plenty of both so this makes sense.

Putting them on the HDD actually makes for a very neat side step, although people with older 360s won't see it that way. Pitfalls of using the cheaper hardware I guess.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
You know, I often joke that I can't tell whether a game is good or bad because to me every game that looks better than Resident Evil 4 looks just as good to me, but I hadn't realized how serious that was. Except for the fact that the non-HD version is slightly blurrier, I couldn't tell them apart. I couldn't see the divide when half the screen was HD and half wasn't.

Hooray!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Frizzle said:
Wow that's bad. Like, really bad. I don't mean to make this sound fanboyish, cuz I was considering an Xbox but: Is the hardware really that far behind the PS3 and regular computers? If i didn't have that texture pack i'd be so pissed.
The issue is disc space.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Irridium said:
Got the old 12gb hard drive.
There are third party drives available for much less than Microsoft wants, probably better quality too...

Forgive my ignorance, but can the old 360 not accept USB drives?

ReaperGrimm

Jun 2, 2011
Well at least DICE gave us a texture pack and I have TONS of hard drive room so I'm not complaining.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
well I do have space on my 360...

but honestly even without it, it'd still look better than it would on my current (working) PC =.=
not exactly swimming in the dough to upgrade everything plus buy all these games coming out meh