Hobbits and Comedians Love Lord of the Rings: War in the North

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Hobbits and Comedians Love Lord of the Rings: War in the North

Various personalities discuss Tolkien's influence on their lives and how the upcoming RPG matches up.

I am not alone in my love for The Lord of the Rings. Nearly every fan of fantasy has read Tolkien's novels and probably watched the recent film adaptations by Peter Jackson. In developing The War in the North, Warner Bros. Interactive has come in contact with many people who've expressed their love of Tolkien, and in one of the last videos released by Snowblind Studios before the game's launch on PS3 and Xbox 360 on November 1st shows actors Dominic Monaghan (Merry) and Sean Astin (Sam Gamgee) talking about their love of Tolkien. My favorite bits through are from comedian Brian Posehn and Kunal Nayyar from the Big Bang Theory.

While Monaghan talks about how important the books were in his family and Posehn says his fandom stops just short of cosplay, I have to say that Astin doesn't seem like he was a fan before he was cast as a hobbit. His story of asking the bookstore clerk where he could find Tolkien books and then being surprised at their number is pretty telling.

Alternately, Nayyar said he was personally affected by his first viewing of the The Fellowship of the Ring film. "I started crying when the opening sequences rolled," he said. "That's how big of a fan I am."

I can relate to Nayyar; the prologue of Galadriel speaking was so pitch perfect that I too wept with the joy of seeing them in that movie theater in New York City in 2000. Who am I kidding? I cried when I watched the extended edition DVD of The Two Towers last week. They are that good.

The license for Peter Jackson's film adaptations of The Lord of the Rings has been pretty lucrative for game publishers. Surprisingly, the films - the last of which was in theaters in 2003 - are still spawning videogames. The War in the North departs from retelling the events of the films through action set-pieces, and instead delivers RPG gameplay through a party of three new characters that will intersect with some obscure events and characters from Tolkien's books such as Elrond's sons Elladan and Elrohir.

I'm looking forward to playing the game and seeing if Snowblind pulls off an alternate story set in the world that I love so dearly. Given that all of the personalities seemed to enjoy their time with the game so far, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
On a slightly related note, When my little sister was starting school and the end of summer there, I was suprised to see Billy Boyd (Actor of Pippin) seeing his son off to school.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Good, good, good.

I hope this game returns the Lord of The Rings franchise to it's gaming awesomness. Back to the glory days of Battle For Middle Earth.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Alternately, Nayyar said he was personally affected by his first viewing of the The Fellowship of the Ring film. "I started crying when the opening sequences rolled," he said. "That's how big of a fan I am."
He said Return of the King, not fellowship.
I'm still not sure about this game, the studio is unproven (as far as I know) and adaptations are hard, even if it's not following the films or books. Plus it's coming out the same day as uncharted.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
5 minute video, about 30 seconds of the game.

That says just about everything I need to know.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Me being a hardcore LotR fan, I've already preordered it. I'm really excited by the prospect of this game causing LotR games to make a come back after conquest.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Woodsey said:

While I share your skepticism, to be fair that's not what this video was for. There's a combat trailer and a stage-demo from Comic-Con on youtube. I don't really care about this game anyway, maybe someday I'll pick it up from a budget bin if it's good. Always cool to see Brian Posehn though.

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
My favorite bits through are from comedian Brian Posehn and Kunal Nayyar from the Big Bang Theory.
Typical Escapist reporting quality. Everyone knows that nobody that has anything to do with the Big Bang Theory can be called a comedian.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
brunothepig said:
Woodsey said:

While I share your skepticism, to be fair that's not what this video was for. There's a combat trailer and a stage-demo from Comic-Con on youtube. I don't really care about this game anyway, maybe someday I'll pick it up from a budget bin if it's good. Always cool to see Brian Posehn though.
The video's trying to get people wet for the game by focusing on the exceptionally well-received films and books instead. They're still marketing for the game, so they should be concentrating on the game, not making people attribute false impressions to it.

DogOnDrugs

May 29, 2005
So what you have there is basically a video of some people that like to sell out. Good for you!

RoboGeek

Apr 3, 2010
i played this at eurogamer expo and it was really quite bad i don't expect anything decent from the finished product.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
being a hardcore LoTR fan i really looking forward to this game, but i probably wont get the game at lauch. i have it really busy already with other games and don't have the friends to co-op. and i have the nagging feeling that the game isn't that deep as they a trying to show.

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
Yeah, this might have a bit more punch if it wasn't part of the marketing scheme. Opinions bought and paid for are useless. That's why reviewers exist.

Dec 27, 2010
Combat looks disappointingly smashy. Why on earth can't game devs just try and create weighty, semi-realistic hack 'n' slash combat. The closest I've seen is Demon Souls'. Otherwise, this vid has only revealed how much their marketing department is relying on fanboy-bait to sell this.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
admittedly that was a pretty good video :]

well okay so yeah I agree with everyone here. Lord of the Rings *is* bloody awesome :D
the game...err well I'll probably play it eventually