Zombie Gameboy Cries Out For "GAAAAAMMMMEEEESSSS!"

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Zombie Gameboy Cries Out For "GAAAAAMMMMEEEESSSS!"

A videogame sculptor brings to life the most terrifying handheld experience since Harlem Globetrotters: World Tour.

It's the middle of the night when the sound of a slow, creaking door awakens you from restful slumber. You follow the eerie noise down the hallway outside of your bedroom to the closet reserved for all of the old electronics you stopped using ages ago, but just couldn't bring yourself to throw away ... a computer graveyard, if you will. You muster your courage, convinced that your cat has simply gotten tangled in the wiring of your old Commodore 64. That's when you see him, mindlessly munching on the motherboard of an Atari Jaguar. It's ... a ... Zombie Gameboy! Ruuun!

[gallery=530]

Donald Kennedy (or "kodykoala" to his online followers) is a thirty-one year old sculptor living in El Paso, Texas. He's been known to create all manner of custom videogame-themed statues, but the Zombie Gameboy may be his best (or at least the most terrifying).

According to Kennedy, he first got the idea for his undead handheld after reminiscing about Captain N: The Gamemaster (like ya do), and the human-sized Gameboy character who wore his face on his front screen. Apparently, the Gameboy he was fiddling with at the time was decently banged up, so he decided a zombie theme would be just the thing to bring it back to life.

For the face, Kennedy printed out a weird little undead face from design website SpareType. [http://www.sparetype.com/] For the feet and hands, he amputated a couple from an old Iron Man Mark I action figure and an Iron Monger collectable respectively, and repurposed them for his superior Frankensteinian creation. In one of the creature's hands, he holds a circuit board he's undoubtedly eating until he can find some nice, juicy brains. Kennedy hasn't said where he got the board, but I like to imagine it came from a Nintendo 3DS.

Sadly, if you were hoping to take the little guy home, he's already been sold for a cool hundred bucks. I guess you'll have to find a different way to clear out that closet after all.

More photos of Zombie Gameboy and the rest of kodykoala's work can be seen on his website. [http://www.kodykoala.com/]

Source: Geek.com [http://www.geek.com/articles/geek-cetera/zombie-gameboy-is-better-at-eating-brains-than-playing-tetris-20111029/]

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
God, I remember having one of those early models and using it all the way until the GBC came out. I also remember finding it a few years later in a box filled with torn apart cartridges like some kind of abomination from hell got to them. I wonder if these things are related...

Dec 14, 2009
Shit, I have no idea where my old Gameboy is...

It could be anywhere! Just waiting to feast on my tasty tasty electronics.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
ElektroNeko said:
Seriously: If my older electronics would turn into zombies, a zombie Gameboy would be my least concern...
*looks at classic xbox* I hope i'm able to move out of the way before it lunges at me...

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
That's just awesome! :D

I really like how it does look like came back from the dead with how dirty it looks and the neat wire like arms reaching out for your yummy brains~

*Loads up shotgun and keeps it close by just in case*

karloss01 said:
*looks at classic xbox* I hope i'm able to move out of the way before it lunges at me...
You're an Angry Marine damnit, face it head on with your power sword and smash it for the Emperor!

OOC: Nice avatar you got there Karloss01. :D

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Hah, that's really cute. The only way I feel I would've wanted to improve this is to make a custom cartridge with a few bytes of data on it so the face was actually displayed by the Gameboy instead of putting a printout there. I'm sure that would've been possible although, admittedly, probably a lot more of a hassle.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Zombie gameboys? What's next?

Atari werewolves?
Sega vampires?
Commodore boogeymen?

Seriously though that's some amazing craftsmanship. I'm jealous i haven't discovered my talent yet (if i have one. Not sure where to universe stands as to whether or not everyone actually has some latent ability waiting to burst forth)

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Really cool lo-fi anyone-can-make-it-sculpture. And I mean that in a good way

Oh and you should TOTALLY click on his other stuff if you like Misty from Pokemon fingering herself while Ash (from Pokemon not Evil Dead) watches while the artist debates the sexual tension between the two.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
It would have been better if it were actually USABLE, but yeah, thats pretty damn cool.

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
A 3DS would be more appropriate...

...Seriously? Nobody else thought that? The original GameBoy had TONS of games. If anything's craving games these days, it's the 3DS...