Rowling Almost Killed Ron Weasley

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Rowling Almost Killed Ron Weasley

True Story: Harry Potter's creator nearly killed Mr. Hermione Granger because she was in a bad mood.

J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter novels may have a ton of appeal for kids, but they also contain a lot of mature content. Rowling's never been one to shy away from killing off important characters like Sirius Black, but it may surprise you to learn that Potter's creator almost got rid of Ron Weasley. Why? Because she was in a crummy mood.

Speaking to The Telegraph, Rowling explained:

"Funnily enough, I planned from the start that none of them would die. Then midway through, which I think is a reflection of the fact that I wasn't in a very happy place, I started thinking I might polish one of them off. Out of sheer spite. 'There, now you definitely can't have him any more.' But I think in my absolute heart of heart of hearts, although I did seriously consider killing Ron, I wouldn't have done it."

I'm not going to lie: I sort of adore the fact that Rowling almost killed off one of her main characters simply out of "spite." I'd have much rather had Ron bite the big one instead of Fred Weasley, but I guess someone had to marry Hermione.

Source: <a href=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/harry-potter/8860175/JK-Rowling-admits-she-was-thinking-of-killing-off-Ron-Weasley.html>The Telegraph via <a href=http://io9.com/5855210/jk-rowling-wanted-to-kill-ron-weasley>io9

Carrotslayer

Jun 14, 2010
Typo? I'm fairly certain that you mean Mr Ron Weasley and not MR HERMIONE GRANGER.

To quote you: "True Story: Harry Potter's creator nearly killed *Mr. Hermione Granger* because she was in a bad mood."

Other than that, I couldn't care less for this story.

*EDIT: Well, it's now official. I screwed up pretty royally with my posts on this thread.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Carrotslayer said:
Typo? I'm fairly certain that you mean Mr Ron Weasley and not MR HERMIONE GRANGER.

To quote you: "True Story: Harry Potter's creator nearly killed *Mr. Hermione Granger* because she was in a bad mood."

no he's Mr Hermione Granger, we all know who wears the pants in that relationship!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
putowtin said:
Carrotslayer said:

no he's Mr Hermione Granger, we all know who wears the pants in that relationship!
It's true!

OT: Hehe, would have made it a bit more dark at the end. Oh well.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Carrotslayer said:

And yet you cared enough to not only read it, but post a (wrong) comment.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
I can totally empathize with Rowling's feeling spiteful towards her fans. You guys may not know this, but I'm actually a mega bestselling author in my head, and characters will live and die according to me, not from the wishes and whining of fanboys.

Killing off Ron would made it too dark of a book. Even though Harry Potter has garnered fans of all ages, I feel that the book is written for Young Adults or pre-teens. If I was the same age when I started reading Harry Potter, I would've been distraught at the death of Ronald Weaseley, but by the time she actually got around to that, I stopped having any real emotional investment in the series (it also stopped being good, me thinks). I just finished it for the sake of finishing it.

vansau said:
Carrotslayer said:

Pretty Princess, we try to ignore useless comments. Why? Because we don't want to legitimize them.

the spud

May 2, 2011
He was always kind of necessary for comic relief in my eyes. Killing him off would seem like a mistake. Oh well, it is kind of nice to know that sometimes people do stuff purposely to piss off their fans (and I miss Fred too).

Feb 13, 2008
I'd have killed off Hermione. Just to annoy the Emma Watson fanbase.

And replaced her with Diggory, in a dress. Just to use later against Twigletters.

Then let Voldemort win. Because he deserves to.

Carrotslayer

Jun 14, 2010
vansau said:
Carrotslayer said:

Yep, I'm special, aren't I? :3

On a sidenote, the thing I called out as a typo, if it's an inside joke then I probably didn't get it.

Roy Smith

Sep 23, 2011
Voldemort was the least interesting villain in a major series that I've ever seen. At least Darth Maul had cool visuals and Glinda the Good Witch perfectly hid her villainy. He utterly lacked any sort of personality - five minutes with Hannibal Lecter was before than seven movies with Voldy.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:

And replaced her with Diggory, in a dress. Just to use later against Twigletters.

Must you live up to your username every time?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Well there you go. JK Rowling hates gingers.

Oka not really. I was actually surprised by the end of it one of the three didnt die (and stay dead). Not really sure why but after the fourht or fifth book I just had this feeling that one of them werent going to make it

Also:
putowtin said:
Carrotslayer said:
XD Thanks, i needed that laugh.

Feb 13, 2008
Giest4life said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:

Must you live up to your username every time?
Sorry, it comes with the job. :)

May 28, 2009
putowtin said:
Carrotslayer said:

One wears the pants, the other wears the dress robes.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
And she only mention this now (well ok she mention it in a recent interview)? Something like this would of been mention years ago after the relese of the final book.