Apple Voted Largest Influence On Gaming Industry

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Apple Voted Largest Influence On Gaming Industry

According to industry professionals, Steve Jobs and the iPhone had a bigger impact on videogames than Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony combined.

According to a survey distributed to 1,000 videogame industry professionals, the iPhone has shaped videogames more than any other device or console, and Steve Jobs has shaped videogames more than any other human. The questionnaire was sent out to industry attendees of the London Games Conference, and asked participants to make a top five list of various professionals and hardware. Based on the answers received, the LGS ranked them according to the number of mentions.

The iPhone took top honors in the "products" category, earning an impressive 53% of voters claiming it belongs in the top five of all time, and 17% as number one. The full results were as follows:

iPhone: 17%
Wii: 7%
Xbox Live: 3%
PlayStation One: 3%
Steam: 2%

As for people, Apple also took the throne, with Steve Jobs being mentioned in the top five list of 46% of survey takers, and as number one by 26%. Here's how he stacked up against other industry giants:

Steve Jobs 26%
Gabe Newell 16%
Shigeru Miyamoto 7%
Tim Berners-Lee 4%
Mark Zuckerberg 3%

At first glance, this list seems a bit unfair. No one is denying that Steve Jobs was important to the tech community, but is he worthy being heralded as a videogame giant, more so than the creator of Steam or the Mario franchise? And what the heck is Zuckerberg doing on this thing at all? I guess the thing to remember is that this isn't a list of the "best" or "top-selling," it's a list of who and what shaped the industry. That being said, there's no denying that the invention of the Apple app store has radically changed the way we think about games, pricing, availability, and portability. Still, Jobs' death is fresh on everyone's mind lately, just sayin'.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-02-games-industry-votes-apple-as-biggest-influence]

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I think this is only because Steve died recently and now everyone wants to make his family feel better, that's the only reason this could've happened.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
This... Pardon?
What the hell did this survey look like?

How has Steve Jobs done more than Shigeru Miyamoto?

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Well if there was a option for "Call of Duty" that would have won by a metric mile.

Dec 14, 2009
My Bullshit senses are tingling...

Steve Jobs? Really?

Methinks his recent death has skewed the results somewhat.

Aug 1, 2010
Ok, now where is "Browser Games" with a %25?

I know Apple HAS had an influence on gaming, but I think the reason for this poll being the way it is, is less about Apple being a gaming giant and more about the fact that most people already HAVE an Iphone and the games were immediately available.

Also, "Industry Professionals"? You mean the guys who repeatedly predict gaming about as accurately as weather casters?

LordBongo

Jun 13, 2011
I'll admit that I'm guilty of occasional Steve Jobs worship. But this... this is just not at all right. Sure, the iPhenomenon introduced a lot of people to the joy of casual gaming, but it didn't define a generation like the NES did.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
If talking about very recently, I'll be inclined to agree.

If talking about the industry in general, I'd be absolutely amazed. Nintendo clearly are the forerunners, no matter whether you're a fan of their product or not.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
"has shaped videogames more than any other device or console,"
I believe that honor goes to the Xbox 360, since just about every multiplatform PC game for the past 6 years has been a crappy 360 port.

And as for the people poll. Steve Jobs hated games. He went on an hour long tirade with Ron Gilbert, telling him that you can't tell a story in a game.
Where's Sid Meier in that poll, heck, where's Garriot or Peter Molyneux?

This poll is rigged, rigged I tell you!

sune-ku

Cynical optimist
Mar 25, 2009
I have to admit this is beyond my comprehension. For starters how is PS2 not even on that list for products... let alone some of the older consoles.

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
Xan Krieger said:
I think this is only because Steve died recently and now everyone wants to make his family feel better, that's the only reason this could've happened.
This. It's that whole 'respect the dead' mentality (that people take way too far sometimes). He hasn't really done anything for gaming, directly at least.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Did the phrase the question: Who is the biggest figure with anything to do with games who has died recently?

If so, then I might understand.

silent-treatment

Oct 15, 2009
wait wat. This literally makes no sense like at all. I must have read it wrong. *goes back and reads again* okay exactly what I thought it said. Where is Ralph Baer, Nolan Bushnell ya know the people who INVENTED video games? Why the HELL is Mark Zuckerberg even UP there?

Edit: I mean they should have been at least mentioned right?

This has got to be just talking about the last year or so, Like the most influential people of the year.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
What is the person behind this statement smoking and where the hell do you get/legalize something that strong?

lovest harding said:
Xan Krieger said:
This. It's that whole 'respect the dead' mentality (that people take way too far sometimes). He hasn't really done anything for gaming directly at least.
Also this.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Yeah, either most of the attendees were people currently getting arts degrees, or the way that the question was worded was biased.

For example, if you're telling me to make a top five list of "most advanced products" or "most innovative products," while I wouldn't put the iPhone at the top of that list, most people would when comparing it with, say, the Wii. However, if the question was which is the most influential to gaming, there is no chance that the iPhone would make that list ahead of the DS or the other consoles.

If you're asking which makes the most money, well then yes, the iWhatever takes the cake.

As far as the people go, either the people in attendance were not gamers in any respect, or, again, the question was worded badly to encourage you to pick Jobs. Perhaps it's because he revolutionized the computer scene decades ago, but he has done nothing to help gaming in recent times, or really, to help gaming at all, ever.

*Edit* If this is just about money, then yes, the iCrap and Jobs win. But that doesn't make them GOOD, only makes them good business-makers with a large (cult) following.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
Xan Krieger said:
AndrewC said:
Stupidest thing I've ever read.
You two, you said what I agree with.

I mean really? Apple? Ho ho ho. I'm just gonna ignore these results.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Um, what? Steve Jobs is the most influential person in Gaming???

The same Steve Jobs that essentially crippled gaming on Macs for a decade because he doesn't like them?

Ugh.

This is literally a kick in the teeth to the gaming community.

SergeantAnt

Feb 27, 2011
Lol this has to be a joke.

Nintendo has done 100x more for the industry then steve. He didnt even want to have anything to do with gaming.

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
Fo Shizzle?

Steve Jobs... biggest impact... I mean really?

I really want to provide a much more usefull responce, but I'm just gonna go with others by saying it's just because he unfortunately died recently. If you'd ask this question in a couple of months I would like to see if he remains on top. As that is something I could get extreamly pissed over.