Crackers Cut Origin From Battlefield 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Crackers Cut Origin From Battlefield 3

A Battlefield 3 crack that purports to allow gamers to play without Origin is out and about on the internet.

One of the biggest complaints about EA's EA denies it [http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-3-Pc/dp/B002I0HJZO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1320261738&sr=8-4], of course, but that's exactly what you'd expect it to do, right?

Anyway, if you really want to play Battlefield 3 but you really don't want to deal with Origin - and you don't mind dumping randomly patched .EXE files onto your PC - the cracking group Razor1911 might have just what you need: a modified BF3.EXE file that allows the game to operate and even play online without having to connect to EA's service.

"Razor1911 doesn't accept and support the online DRM 'Origin' from EA," the group wrote in a Pastebin doc [http://pastebin.com/ycF4YqcT]. "This release is dedicated to our fans worldwide who bought this game on legal way and don't want to install the trojan from Electronic Arts to play online."

To be clear, this is a point-out, not an endorsement, and in fact I'd go so far as to say it's probably a good idea to stay away from it altogether. Aside from the fact that I can't even say whether or not it actually works [and even if I had Battlefield 3 installed, I wouldn't risk testing it], it's a safe bet that EA and DICE are already working on ways to detect and defeat the patch, and that some sort of consequences could be suffered by anyone caught using it. Consider yourself warned - if you really find Origin so intolerable, maybe the best move is to just avoid Origin-dependent games altogether.

via: GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2011/11/02/razor1911-cuts-origin-out-battlefield-3-online-equation]

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Isn't suggesting using a crack a no-no? I'm just asking.

OT: Well, good for those who don't want to use Origin. Maybe I'll invest in it now.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Only a matter of time this would happen. But as I say, doing so in violation of EA's policy isn't a good idea. If you're against Origin, don't buy EA. I know people think it sucks and hate on EA for it and praise Steam at the same time but in the end, they both are corporations and only want your money despite the fact that one may have cheaper "deals" than the other and one may or may not contain spyware.
I don't play BF3 anyway, but even if I did and owned it on PC, I wouldn't care about Origin because I have it for ME2, and it doesn't do anything malicious on my PC.
I don't condone piracy or cracking, and feel the "price" of playing a game I enjoy might just be putting up with a publisher's crap from time to time. Its their money that developed the game, their time and effort to put it out and they get to dictate the terms on how its released. Get over it or don't buy into it.
Peaceful protest works, circumventing their programming doesn't work and leads to even more draconian DRM.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011

OT: I'm interested in seeing how EA responds to this. I wonder what they'll do

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
Pointless, you can't play multiplayer with a crack and honestly, who in his right mind would want to play the single player of BF3?
If you have a valid cd key of course you can.
Try to skim the article next time

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
It took me too long to realise what the "Crackers" mentioned in the headline referred to. Either savoury biscuits have learned to program, or a group of talented white people.

I don't have a problem with Origin per se, but as long as you've bought the game legally then It's fine by me. Would online multiplayer still work?

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Oh man, if I had any interest in Battlefield 3 whatsoever I might actually be excited about this bit of news. :eek:

Apr 28, 2008
Eh, whatever.

Steam was cracked many years ago as well, and can still be cracked. Of course, since generally people like Valve they'll still use Steam.

But people don't like EA, and EA has shown it doesn't like its customers. So it'll be fun to see if that changes things.

May 25, 2010
GiantRedButton said:
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
Pointless, you can't play multiplayer with a crack and honestly, who in his right mind would want to play the single player of BF3?
If you have a valid cd key of course you can.
Try to skim the article next time
For now. How long do you think it's going to last? EA isn't going to let this stick around. Before long, people with cracks will only be able to play SP.

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
I just didn't bother to buy it. Just like I did with Assassin's Creed until Ubisoft got wise and took the stupid DRM out. Good job, EA. Nice business strategy.

On the other hand, it probably doesn't matter much, if at all. Everybody knows that PC gamers have backbones made of limp noodles, and that no matter how much they complain, they'll all back down by day 3 after release when all their sheep-friends are going on about how awesome something is.

Well done, indeed, EA. Your understanding of the gamer psyche will probably have you ruling the world by 2015 at this rate!

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
maddog015 said:
Isn't suggesting using a crack a no-no? I'm just asking.
I doubt the rules are quite as strict for contributors. Besides, the last paragraph specifically says he's just reporting on it, the article is in no way endorsing or encouraging the crack. The Escapist reports on piracy too, but we all know their stance on that.

OT: Hardly surprising, I was wondering when this would pop up. Don't care about the game anyway, so luckily I don't have to have Origin yet.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
"Ugh. This multi-million corporation has installed spyware on my computer! Good thing this .EXE I downloaded off some site will let me play the game without it."

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
The Random One said:
"Ugh. This multi-million corporation has installed spyware on my computer! Good thing this .EXE I downloaded off some site will let me play the game without it."
That was the gist of the article, yes.