Rumor: Sony Developing Biometric Controllers

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Rumor: Sony Developing Biometric Controllers

Sony has apparently filed patent papers detailing its designs for controllers which can tell how stressed you're feeling and adjust your experience accordingly.

Though very little has been said about the future of biometric gaming ever since Nintendo's Wii Vitality [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93093-Nintendo-President-Defends-Wii-Vitality-Sensor] proved unfit for its purpose, potential applications for these devices have not escaped other hardware companies. According to patent papers filed several months ago, Sony could be planning to create a biometric controller which would adapt your gameplay experience based on physical readings taken from your hands.

The patent papers, found by Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2011/11/01/sony-patent-reveals-biometric-ps3-controller-and-handheld/], apparently show diagrams of DualShock 3 and Move controllers fitted with integrated biometrics readers which monitor sweat levels, heartrate and muscle tension. Interestingly, there's also a diagram of a handheld device (which bears more than a passing resemblance to the Vita) which is fitted with similar readers. The idea appears to be that these integrated readers gather second-by-second information on how stressed or excited you're feeling and adjust your gameplay experience to match your mood.

Here's a full list of the applications attached to the patent files:

- Weapons that change depending on how stressed you are. An increase in stress level could make a weapon more accurate or less steady, which will make it difficult to target an enemy. Sony specifically mentions a sniper situation where the weapon becomes more steady if you're relaxed.
- Tensing up your muscles to withstand an attack or charge up a shield.
- A video game character whose facial expressions, movements, posture, and even voice changes depending on your biometric data. For example, this character will sweat when a player is nervous.
- An adrenaline style boost which will let you run faster, jump higher, and punch harder when stressed.
- A health bar that depletes more rapidly if you have a high stress level.
- An attack button that changes a character's move depending if the player is stressed or relaxed.
- Background music and scenery that changes depending on your stress level. Matching music is one example, but Sony also proposes to change music to make a player more relaxed. Brightness of objects and the zoom level, representing a higher level of focus, are two ideas for scenery.
- A game that adapts difficulty levels depending on a players stress level.

If the above is serious and this turns out to be more than a case of forgotten patent papers gone huge, then it seems that Sony's controller - at least in these early stages - is in real danger of making games harder for you when you're at your worst. I'm not sure how many people are looking for their tense in-game moments to be rendered even more tense by a leaky health bar and a shaky rifle. Saying that, though, some of the other applications do sound useful, especially the idea of the soundtrack changing to reflect how tense you are (well, as long as it doesn't decide to start playing Moonlight Sonata at you in the middle of a boss battle or anything). Still, done right, the potential for this technology remains huge.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2011/11/01/sony-patent-reveals-biometric-ps3-controller-and-handheld/]

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
IWATA: So for the Nintendo 64, we released a controller with an analog joystick, to better facilitate 3D games such as Super Mario 64.

MIYAMOTO: And then Sony put two of them on their controller.

IWATA: Right. I remember that. So then we made the Rumble Pack. It was an add on motor that would vibrate when given cues from the game.

MIYAMOTO: And Sony put two of them in their controller.

IWATA: Indeed. With the Wii, we created a motion sensitive wand that we demonstrated with a collection of sports themed mini games.

MIYAMOTO: So there, Sony tried to squeeze the technology into their controller. But it was rejected. It ultimately caused the closure of Factor 5. A few years later, they released a motion sensing wand, and sold it with a collection of sports themed mini games.

IWATA: But theirs was different, wasn't it?

MIYAMOTO: Right. It had a glowey ball on the end.

IWATA: Do you remember E3 2009?

MIYAMOTO: THat would be the vitality sensor year, right?

IWATA: Right.

MIYAMOTO: If I remember, we just took an old love tester from our novelty days and slapped a nunchuck wire on it. Two years later, we announced that we were going in a different direction with a tablet controller.

IWATA: Have you looked at Sony's patents this week?

MIYAMOTO: Did they take the bait?

IWATA: (laughs)

MIYAMOTO: (laughs)

edit: I also wonder if anyone who commented on the Wii vitality sensor with disdain two years ago are going to revise their opinions on the tech now that it isn't Nintendo doing it?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Ya know what? It doesn't sound terrible and I like that idea a whole lot better than motion controls. I would like to see where this goes but I'm not of the mindset that this is the next big thing.

Sep 14, 2009
well i can say this has me more interested than motion controls at least..

the sniper thing sounds kinda cool actually, i know a few people who would have shit for accuracy in games if this was applied..they stress explode when they play COD/halo/etc...

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Yay gimmicks we missed you so...
I guess we aren't coming around to developers buckling down on good gameplay just yet.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
An intriguing idea I've heard people suggest that as a possible use for the vitality sensor, but unless you have a very well designed game that can really grip a player it's going to be a pain at worst and unnoticeable at best.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I like this, as long as it's implemented properly.
Making stuff harder when tense will just result in the controller being snapped...

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Well... uhm... why? I can't see that making a game harder because I might be stressed because of external stimuli such as:

A. Wife Aggro
B. Sickness
C. Phone ringing

It just isn't sound reasoning. Cool idea, but potential for bad experience is high, and possibly expensive for those of us who ruin controllers due to rage...

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
IWATA: So for the Nintendo 64, we released a controller with an analog joystick, to better facilitate 3D games such as Super Mario 64.

IWATA: Right. I remember that. So then we made the Rumble Pack. It was an add on motor that would vibrate when given cues from the game.

IWATA: Indeed. With the Wii, we created a motion sensitive wand that we demonstrated with a collection of sports themed mini games.

MIYAMOTO: So there, Sony tried to squeeze the technology into their controller. But it was rejected. It ultimately caused the closure of Factor 5. A few years later, they released a motion sensing wand, and sold it with a collection of sports themed mini games.

MIYAMOTO: If I remember, we just took an old love tester from our novelty days and slapped a nunchuck wire on it. Two years later, we announced that we were going in a different direction with a tablet controller.

It may be taking up space but I didn't have the heart to snip that post.

Thankyou for the laugh.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
I wonder if this is real. I'm tired of "technology" patents being made around concepts that never see the light of day.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
What? Who wants this shit? Who asks for this? Motion controls at least have some futuristic appeal. Did anybody ever play Mass Effect and think, "Damn, wouldn't it be awesome if Shepard's balls were as sweaty as mine?" Even minus the hyperbole, nothing on that list sounds immersive or fun. Hopefully this is just random patent we'll never hear about again number 678.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
TheGuy(wantstobe) said:
<spoiler=Spoilerified>IWATA: So for the Nintendo 64, we released a controller with an analog joystick, to better facilitate 3D games such as Super Mario 64.

edit: I also wonder if anyone who commented on the Wii vitality sensor with disdain two years ago are going to revise their opinions on the tech now that it isn't Nintendo doing it?
ROFL. Thank you sir, that is the funniest thing I have seen all week, omg xD
*reads again*
Ahahahahahaha xD

Ok, seriously now, lol...
I think the game making itself harder and your accuracy going down when you gets stressed, can potentially be a really really shitty idea. Stress is a part of the human defence response, that same thing that allows mothers to lift cars if their children are beneath them. Making your game a little harder when you get stressed at a challenging part, just makes you more stressed.
Its bad enough my stress at a game makes me do stupid things (especially during MW2 MP sessions), so a controller that knows I am stressed and makes itself harder? That just screams stupid.
But at least its only on Sony controllers, so /shrug @ that.

Sep 30, 2010

This has potential but if implemented incorrectly (which it will be) could break the game completely. Also if they put it in a COD game everyone will just wear gloves and scream at each other about exploiting it.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
So, it'll see I'm stressed, while playing a video game, and compensate for me? But, one of the best ways I become unstressed is by beating something fairly challenging when I'm gaming, something that's causing me a bit of trouble. It's so satisfying, it makes stress go away! Mind you, lulling me into a sense of false complacency, then deciding I need more challenge, that might make stress go away, too, as I suddenly have the urge to stop playing and osmose with some ice cream.