Saints Row: The Third PC Requirements Revealed

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Saints Row: The Third PC Requirements Revealed

Volition has revealed exactly how beefy your PC will have to be to play Saints Row: The Third.

And the verdict is: "reasonably beefy." The bare minimum pc specs you'll need to start the game [http://www.amazon.com/Saints-Row-Third-Playstation-3/dp/B004QEWVLC] without it laughing in your face and pushing over your recycle bin are:

Processor: 2GHz Dual Core Processor (Intel® Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon™ X2) or higher

Memory: 2GB System RAM or more

Graphics: 320MB Video RAM GPU w/ Shader Model 3.0 support. NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 series or better. ATI Radeon™ HD3800 series or better

DirectX®: 9.0c

Hard Drive: 10GB

Sound: 100% DirectX® 9.0C compliant sound card or equivalent onboard sound

Co-Op Play: NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 cards require 640MB of Video RAM. ATI Radeon™ HD3800 cards require 1GB of Video RAM

Of course, that kind of "low end" hardware is just going to get your foot in the door, graphically speaking. Volition recommends at least:

Processor: Any Quad Core Processor (Intel® Core i5 or AMD Phenom™ II X4) or 3.0+ Dual Core CPU

Memory: 4GB System RAM or more

Graphics: 1GB Video RAM GPU w/ Shader Model 4.0 support. NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 400 series or better. ATI Radeon™ HD5000 series or better

DirectX®: DirectX® 11

Hard Drive: 10 GB

Sound: 100% DirectX® 9.0C compliant sound card or equivalent onboard sound

Now, anyone who's worth their PC gaming salt knows that developers and publishers can be a little ... optimistic when it comes to system requirements, so if you're just barely meeting the requirements you may want to consider the console version, or perhaps an upgrade or two. This goes double for a Saints Row game, considering how much of a massive, resource-hogging monstrosity the PC port of Saints Row 2 was.

So what does the game have for PC gamers with the right kit? Advanced depth of field, proper reflections, ambient occlusion, actual HD resolutions and high-end anti-aliasing. It also boasts support for SLI and Crossfire configurations, as well as the ludicrous testament to technical opulence that is AMD Eyefinity. There's a record mode, which lets you record in game footage and upload it to a media service of your choice. The Steam version also provides you with Team Fortress 2 themed bobble heads for your in game avatar. Most importantly, however, the PC release lets you use a mouse and keyboard, giving you a perfect opportunity to crow about how superior a method of input they are, much to the chagrin of resentful console peasants everywhere. Enjoy.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/saints-row-3-pc-system-requirements-for-that-ass-214974.phtml]

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Hmm... Yep I can play it, but to be honest, I'm still probably going to go for the PS3 version if I get it at all. I just find games made in a sandbox style such as GTA, Prototype, and the Saints Row series work a lot better for me with a controller rather than a keyboard and mouse.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I barely meet the recommended, my problem is 4GB of ram is the max my 32bit XP can do. Guess I'll need to find the 64bit version of XP and upgrade to that.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This is kind of old news. They released this info a while ago. Anyway, here's some new stuff you might want to put in the news, related to PC exclusive features: http://www.saintsrow.com/news/detail/article/251623/pc_exclusive_features_for_sr:tt

As many of our PC fans are probably aware, the Saints Row 2 port on PC could've been a lot better. With Saints Row: The Third though, we've taken all of the development of the PC version in-house, so that the PC version will be at the same level of playability as the console versions. Today though, since we're continuing "All Saints Day", we felt it was time to share some reasons why the PC version of Saints Row: The Third is worth your purchase.

First up, the Steam version of Saints Row: The Third will feature the Saints Video Record Mode, allowing you to record and save your most over-the-top gameplay clips, which you are free to share on social media sites and of course right here on SaintsRow.com. And if you?re a true cinephile, you can switch off the HUD and showcase your cheerleader assassin character in all her unblemished glory.

Post launch, the PC version will receive exclusive customization options, including oversized bobblehead masks of characters from your favorite non-THQ online shooter, Valve?s Team Fortress 2. They?re free, so Strap Them On! Stay tuned for more details in the future.

Other highlights include AMD Eyefinity support, DX9, DX10, and DX11 support, Crossfire enabled, SLI enabled, advanced depth of field, reflections, and ambient occlusion quality, and, of course, God Rays.

Saints Row: The Third on PC is not a port, and it's our goal here at Volition to prove that to our PC fans. We hope you enjoy the game when it releases to the public on November 15th!

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
This is kind of old news. They released this info a while ago. Anyway, here's some new stuff you might want to put in the news, related to PC exclusive features: http://www.saintsrow.com/news/detail/article/251623/pc_exclusive_features_for_sr:tt

As many of our PC fans are probably aware, the Saints Row 2 port on PC could've been a lot better. With Saints Row: The Third though, we've taken all of the development of the PC version in-house, so that the PC version will be at the same level of playability as the console versions. Today though, since we're continuing "All Saints Day", we felt it was time to share some reasons why the PC version of Saints Row: The Third is worth your purchase.

First up, the Steam version of Saints Row: The Third will feature the Saints Video Record Mode, allowing you to record and save your most over-the-top gameplay clips, which you are free to share on social media sites and of course right here on SaintsRow.com. And if you?re a true cinephile, you can switch off the HUD and showcase your cheerleader assassin character in all her unblemished glory.

Post launch, the PC version will receive exclusive customization options, including oversized bobblehead masks of characters from your favorite non-THQ online shooter, Valve?s Team Fortress 2. They?re free, so Strap Them On! Stay tuned for more details in the future.

Other highlights include AMD Eyefinity support, DX9, DX10, and DX11 support, Crossfire enabled, SLI enabled, advanced depth of field, reflections, and ambient occlusion quality, and, of course, God Rays.

Saints Row: The Third on PC is not a port, and it's our goal here at Volition to prove that to our PC fans. We hope you enjoy the game when it releases to the public on November 15th!
Damn, after reading this I actually do kind of want it for the PC now... Anybody have any idea if it will have xbox controller support? May just want to pick one up for this game.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Adam Jensen said:

Duly mentioned, thanks.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
*sighs* My graphics card is outclassed, as usual. Guess i'll be getting this when I get a new PC... someday.

Edit: Though.... not by much. My PC is good enough for Skyrim, so.... I might be able to squeeze our SR3 too. Still.... I better wait to buy this one.

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
I dunno, correct me if I'm wrong but the sort of gamer that'd prefer PC is likely to already have a powerful machine for it. So these requirements might not be that far fetched.

But then I read the first quote box in the article and felt my brain starting to overheat. Too advanced for my weedy, console playing brain.

BakedZnake

Sep 27, 2010
I think I'll wait and see how well it runs on the PC and how well it looks better than console version before buying. If it looks the same as the console version, but runs worse (ie like SR2) then console version it is then.

Darkfiretiger

Jun 30, 2011
Well it looks like I'll be tinkering with my case to get both my graphics card in there to take advantage of the SLI technology.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
I meet all recommended settings except the processor and sound card.

I may get this game. Never played a Saints Row game before.

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
Hmm yes I say those monotonous console hounds will once again be left in the dust to the glorious configuration that is the mouse and keyboard.

I am excited though, will have to fit this in between skyrim, skyrim, and assassins creed.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
...They recommend DX11? Holy shit, you don't see that often. I just might get this game, Rockstar can't do the crime sandbox thing anymore in my opinion. Saints Row 3 actually looks fun compared to the brown, gritty, cousin infested game that was GTA IV.

Note: I realize that there's the ICEnhancer for GTA IV that makes everything look amazing, but it doesn't change the fact that it was dull and lacked the same kind of personality as the previous games.
Grey Carter said:
This goes double for a Saints Row game, considering how much of a massive, resource-hogging monstrosity the PC port of Saints Row 2 was.
I never played the previous ones but I did look up the specs for it on steam. It must have been a pretty shitty PC port. By the sounds of it with SR3, they did some pretty good work on the PC version. Here's to hoping they optimized it right?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
TestECull said:
Grey Carter said:
Most importantly, however, the PC release lets you use a mouse and keyboard, giving a perfect opportunity to crow about how superior a method of input they are, much to the chagrin of resentful console peasants everywhere. Enjoy.
Odd that you mention this since the vast majority of us are going to reach for our 360 pads anyway. I know I will, I fucking hate trying to drive on keyboard. It just doesn't work. I can't hit apexes, I can't meter out power for slippery situations, I can't powerslide and I can't brake without crashing on keyboard. Need proportional inputs for that shit.
Indeed, there are some PC games that a mouse and keyboard should never be used for. Though I can't say I buy my PC games out of some superiority complex, many of them play just as well as their console counterparts and I don't ever notice a difference. Rather it's that Steam has made it more convenient for me to buy my games with them rather than lugging my 360 with me to school and have it take up the precious space in my tiny dorm room.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
TestECull said:
Grey Carter said:
Most importantly, however, the PC release lets you use a mouse and keyboard, giving a perfect opportunity to crow about how superior a method of input they are, much to the chagrin of resentful console peasants everywhere. Enjoy.
Odd that you mention this since the vast majority of us are going to reach for our 360 pads anyway. I know I will, I fucking hate trying to drive on keyboard. It just doesn't work. I can't hit apexes, I can't meter out power for slippery situations, I can't powerslide and I can't brake without crashing on keyboard. Need proportional inputs for that shit.
Same. My keyboard is reserved for Minecraft and other games with a significant micromanaging component.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
bahumat42 said:
Xan Krieger said:
I barely meet the recommended, my problem is 4GB of ram is the max my 32bit XP can do. Guess I'll need to find the 64bit version of XP and upgrade to that.
you do realise that when the industry shifts to the dxl1 standard your going to have to leave that behind right?
Yeah I know, not looking forward to it though. I might just get console games instead of building a new computer, I do have an xbox 360.