Critical Miss: The Douche King

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Every time I see one of those obnoxious Apple ads, I think of this:
"Set a course for iHell, Douche-factor 5!"

I do hope the newest string of ads won't be quite as pervasive and prevalent as they were back in late 2009. One couldn't go a single damn day without listening to the ongoing "I'm a Mac/I'm a PC" ad-war at least somewhere.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I was expecting worse from that advert, it wasn't overly bad.

Still makes me want to strangle their ad department. People complain about EA? That shit is TAME compared to the rage this instills in me.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
/stands up and applauds

I knew I wasn't the only one that thought the same thing.

Dec 14, 2009
[HEADING=1]Douuuuuuuuuche![/HEADING]

Something about Apple ads just makes me want to murder people.

I should probably do something about that...

*Sips tea*

Hmmm, maybe later.

Feb 13, 2008
Apple's entire design philosophy seems to be:

"You're better than everyone else. Stuff it in their face while paying us to allow you to do it."

Microshaft may be a vile, money-grabbing parasite, but at least they don't pretend not to be.

Of course: Siri isn't completely foolproof: http://shitsirisays.com/

Jan 23, 2010
Erm, I really don't see the douche factor in that, sorry.

Maybe you are just thinking of the really douchey "I'm a mac" adverts and you perceive this one as douche-tastic too?

Dec 14, 2009
The Almighty Grigard said:

Maybe you are just thinking of the really douchey "I'm a mac" adverts and you perceive this one as douche-tastic too?
Hmmm, this looks likes the first set of symptoms...

Do you suddenly have an urge to break out your laptop in Stabucks coffee shops?

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
The only way to make this ad actually bearable:

Did anyone else notice that Apple was actually quite honest in their distinction between PCs (Personal Computers) and Macs, which are becoming increasingly locked down and controlled? Not quite as bad as their phone (at least the interface provides some semblance of control and useability on their computers, if you are never looking for advanced options), but still pretty limiting.

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
Please. The ads may not be all gritty, nerdy and hardcore, but they dó make sense: they depict handsome people, young enough for young people to relate to and old enough for old people to relate to. They can't make ads for all different social standards in society, so what they do is simple: they choose a standard a lot of people 'agree' to (even though that may not be you or me), and make sure everything is as generic as possible, so they're not stepping on any toes. Plus, the 'environment' in their ads perfectly relates to their desired image: clean, simple and 'stylish'. And not only are this all very understandable marketing choices, they're also very good at it. Which is possible why you seem to hate it so much: you realize what an incredibly unrealistic image of the world they create (and also one that is adapted to a different social group than yours), and people are actually attracted to that image. Which can be annoying. I know.

Also, of course they try to create the idea that you're superior or cooler of whatever if you have one of their products. It's called brand management, something every company with luxery products in a hardly differentiated market tries to do. These BMW 1 serie commercials that keep popping up on this website are definitely not trying to sell the technological advances in that car..

And finally, if you still want to hate the Apple ads, don't forget to hate every ad Nintendo and Microsoft produced since the Wii. Actually, these ads are no different than the 'cool' oldschool Nintendo commercials or the Kevin Butler ads from Sony: they are both very much focusing on a certain social group. The casual ones just have a broader audience. And don't forget, the 'cool' commercials are also designed to make us feel smug; these kind of commercials greatly contributed to the whole 'hardcore gaming identity'. Which is the very cause for the pretentious attitude against casual gaming that we've seen for years now.

Jan 23, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
The Almighty Grigard said:

Hmmm, this looks likes the first set of symptoms...

Do you suddenly have an urge to break out your laptop in Stabucks coffee shops?
Nope, Because we don't have Starbucks... But I do have a Macbook!

Attempting to diagnose me with "Apple-Fanboyism"?
I'm no Apple fanboy, I despise Apple for most of it's shenanigans and my Macbook is the only Apple product I own because I got it from my High School. They are smug and advertise their products as "superior" in a very smug tone. But this particular add, I don't think so.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
HAHA thank you, glad I'm not the only one who thinks the smug factor in apple ads is getting a bit much. A fella in work got one of new iPhones and for whole day he did nothing go on and on about about the speak functions asking it questions and blah blah etc. And all the while everyone else has the same collective thought, that these phone are actually smarter than the idiots who buy them.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Ohh no, they didn't try and introduce some new technology to some general, everyday fucktards did they?

Seriously, have you ever tried to explain anything technical to a normal person these days? - it's rediculous how much I have to dumb down IT issues for 'normal' people... No Mr.Managing Director, you probably shouldn't send these Nigerian princes your bank account details, no you probably haven't won the Chechnian lottery... Let me have that laptop, I'll go find you some fucking lego's to play with instead.

Apple do a good job of selling technology to people who shouldn't really be allowed near it... I don't see a reason to hate them for that, in fact having a reaction to what Apple does is so bloody predictable that it's incepid, boring, and not the sort of thing I like to waste my time on.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Scrumpmonkey said:
Their marketing apeals to their proto-human fanbase who breakdown into three types;

1. "More-money-than-sense Douchebags". Affluent, usually mid 20s to late 30s types who want show off how much better they already are than you by buying the most overpriced peices of flashy-junk they can get their hands on.

2. "Aspiring douchebags"; people who have to save up (or more likely mooch of their perants) to keep up with their stlye-tech fetish. They will buy into the fact that simply owning these poducts enhances their lives and makes them better than other people.

3. "Connoisseur douchebags"; These typically own high priced Macs or entire product ranges and like to advertise that fact, they like to gleefully tell you how their macs could never crash. Ever. And it is utterly impossible for a mac to ever get a virus or suffer from slowdown. They use sudo-tech 'knowlege' gleaned from Apple marketing and apple blogs. Their smugness is the most entrenched, they define themselves by how much better their taste in tech is than yours. "It just works" they will tell you. "It just does".
you win. everything. forever.

OT: Is anyone surprised at the new adds? Apple has always targeted their products to arrogant D-bags who think that they are better than everyone else because that own a mac, and I would say that it works because the few mac users I've met were just that (not saying everyone who owns an apple product is an asshole just the elitist fan-boys)

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
I´m seriously glad I read the comic before watching the ad. At least got a chuckle out of the comic this way.
Because honestly, working under the assumption that I did not see the new, slimmer, de-douchified version, I really can´t understand what the hell some ouf you go on about.
Sure, the first guy was kind of a douchenozzel, but after that we had... a guy in a car... a woman packing a bag.... someone making a cake.
You know.
Douche stuff...