Go Sneaky Platforming in Stealth Bastard: Tactical Espionage Arsehole

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Go Sneaky Platforming in Stealth Bastard: Tactical Espionage Arsehole

It's Sam Fisher meets Mega Man in Stealth Bastard: Tactical Espionage Arsehole.

Okay, I admit it. I got into this entirely because I wanted to say "Tactical Espionage Arsehole" in a news post. But the truth is that Stealth Bastard is actually a solid little platformer with a sneaky twist: stay out of sight or get chunked.

As Curve Studios put it, "Stealth games are awesome. Hiding from The Man, skulking in shadows, the thrill of the unseen infiltration. But why do they have to be so... slow?"

And Stealth Bastard is anything but slow. You'll run, jump, hang from ledges, skulk in real-time shadows and die, instantly and horribly, as you work your way from one side of 28 deviously-designed levels to the other. "It's like Metal Gear Solid and Super Meat Boy had a baby out of wedlock," the studio says. "Semi-literally."

Despite all the traps, hazards and other ways of coming to grief, time is of the essence if you want to see your name up in lights on Stealth Bastard global leaderboards. And even when it's over it's not really over, because the game also includes a full-on editor that allows levels to be created and shared with players around the world.

Best of all, Stealth Bastard: Tactical Espionage Arsehole [and yes, that is its real name] is free. No ads, no "freemium," no nothing. Just straight-up free. In other words, there is absolutely no reason not to give this thing a go, so what are you waiting for? Check it out for yourself at stealthbastard.com [http://www.stealthbastard.com/].

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
As I was reading it, I was thinking it looks pretty fun, but I have things to do. Then I saw it was free.
*Downloading*
Andy Chalk said:
Okay, I admit it. I got into this entirely because I wanted to say "Tactical Espionage Arsehole" in a news post.
Knew it... The Stealth Bastard did nothing for you?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Awesome title, solid looking gameplay and it's free? Well, I guess I know what I'm doing tonight.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
the Tactical Espionage Arsehole makes me think more of MGS due to the simmularity in title with it

OT: I need a new stealth game time to give this a nice free go :D

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I wasn't expecting much, and then I watched the video.
'Seems fun!' so I downloaded it.
Yeah, it's pretty fun! Puzzles, stealth, and a full featured level editor!
I don't care that it's a promo for another game, all I know is that I'm having a lot of fun!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
GeorgW said:
"Stealth Bastard" got my attention, but it was "Tactical Espionage Arsehole" that put it over the top for me. Far as I'm concerned, we need to make this a genre.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
GeorgW said:
"Stealth Bastard" got my attention, but it was "Tactical Espionage Arsehole" that put it over the top for me. Far as I'm concerned, we need to make this a genre.
Considering how many times I've knocked out prostitutes in both DX:HR and Alpha Protocol, it already is.

Awesome find, by the way.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
GeorgW said:
I definitely agree. Though I feel that Tactical Espionage Arsehole is a good genre and the thing to draw from this, I must say, the Stealth Bastard is more funny to me.

Diegolomac

Jan 28, 2009
I downloaded it, but it makes my computer crash on the menu screen. Anyone else having problems?

exp. 99

Mar 31, 2010
Stealth Bastard.

This is the game I've been waiting for since forever. More punishing than my NES platformers, more hilarious than chasing a monocle clad fetus in a jar...

And fittingly named, to boot. Tactical Espionage Arsehole is definitely the new name for the genre.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Is anyone else having trouble with downloading the game? My anti-virus keeps deleting the file because it's infected.

The_Fezz

Oct 21, 2010
It's one of those days where I genuinely think that indie developers are taking their ideas from the more Edgar Wright side of my fractured psyche.