PETA Dumps on Battlefield 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PETA Dumps on Battlefield 3

PETA is officially unhappy with Battlefield 3 because of a callous, brutal and utterly inhumane sequence of rat-stabbing.

Pop quiz, hotshot: how many rats have you snuffed in all your videogaming adventures? If you answered less than "about a bazillion," you're a dirty liar and we can't be friends anymore. Because we all know that when it comes to laying the cheap XP beatdown on filthy creatures that nobody cares about, it's Rats Uber Alles, baby. But that doesn't sit well with People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals in Germany, which issued a statement today criticizing the game for allowing players to stab a rat with a combat knife and then toss its carcass away like... well, like a dead rat.

"[Google-translated statement [http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-3-Xbox-360/dp/B003O6G5TW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320705083&sr=8-1].

"There have been repeated cases in Germany of animal cruelty, where young people kill animals in cruel ways," it continued, drawing a "science says" connection between videogames and bad behavior in the real world. "Inspiration for these acts they received in the past, often by violent movies and computer games."

It's a bit silly, given that rats have been the go-to punching bag for gamers pretty much since the dawn of time, but this isn't PETA's first foray into videogame criticism. shoot German attack dogs [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105778-PETA-Unleashes-Super-Tofu-Boy].

Battlefield 3 publisher Electronic Arts has not yet commented on the PETA criticism, and is not expected to.

via: Battlefield 3 Blog [http://bf3blog.com/2011/11/battlefield-3-criticized-by-peta-over-animal-cruelty/]

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Let me go stab a few more rats. While I am it, let me slay a dragon in Dark Souls. Take that PETA!

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I... uh... right.... ok.

Is this really the best use of anyones time? Unless I play BF3 then have the sudden urge to go murder lots of rats for giggles I think the poor rats are going to be fine PETA.

Andy Chalk said:
Battlefield 3 publisher Electronic Arts has not yet commented on the PETA criticism, and is not expected to.
If I was an EA employee, I wouldn't comment either, I'd be too busy laughing. Hell, I'm not an EA employee and I'm too busy laughing!

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
Stab a Rat? PETA RRRRRRRAGE

Shoot thousands of other people in multiplayer? s'cool.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
I honestly don't really knbow why PeTA even bother any more. Most people seem to know that they make up an awful lot of information anyway.

OT: I remember when WaW came out, and they got angry that you could break the dogs necks. Someone made a very valid point

"Let's put them in a situation where an attack dog is after them. If they can survive without killing the dog, then they win."

theonecookie

Apr 14, 2009
Not a fan of BF3 to be honest but peta can go jump off a cliff There no better than terrorists in my book

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
You know we gas, poison, trap and suffocate literally millions of rats every year jsut so that they don't completely overrun the place? Rats used to be a huge problem for every city until they had dedicated pest control agencies to constantly keep the rat population at near extinction levels yet if they ever stop... population of rats explodes.

PS: Modern Warfare 3... aren't they strapping bombs to dogs? And PETA objects to rat stabbing?!?! Damn Peta, you crazy!

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
So wait a moment, they are complaining about the inhumane treatment of the rat but not the countless humans who must presumably die just as violent deaths in the game?

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
AND NOT A SINGLE SH*T WAS GIVEN.
Damnit PETA, when will you finally learn that no one takes you seriously anymore!

anthony87 said:
Is this relevant?

Meh I'm posting it anyway.
Steve Hughes is always worth quoting.

Feb 13, 2008
You....idiots.

If you've not played that set piece, you are given the option of stabbing a rat or getting gunned down like a rat.

That's not cruelty. That's survival.

I'll say again; you idiots.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
anthony87 said:
Is this relevant?

*clip snip*

Meh I'm posting it anyway.
Hadn't seen that, pretty much sums it up.

On Topic: PETA being PETA, they have been discredited by most people nowadays.

TheRussian

May 8, 2011
Stab people in the neck and throw them away like trash?
Silence
Stab rats and throw them away like trash?
RAAAAAAGE!!!!

Loves2spooge

Apr 13, 2009
PETA can go screw themselves as far as I'm concerned, they support and encourage terrorism among their members. And besides, it's a rat; even other rats don't care about rats.

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
.....really? Rats? Seriously? There are billions of the things, and is this context it's self defense.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
I kinda think the whole rat stabbing thing could've done without
pointlessest pointless QTE I've seen

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Doesn't it seem to you like PETA is doing more harm to the protection of animal rights than all the video games and KFC combined?