Koei Tecmo Joins Calls for PS3 Price Cut

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Koei Tecmo Joins Calls for PS3 Price Cut

Kenji Matsubara, CEO of Koei Tecmo, has added his voice to those calling for a price cut for the PS3.

Apparently taking cues from Activision's Bobby Kotick [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92530-Update-Activision-Might-Have-to-Stop-Supporting-Sony], Koei Tecmo CEO Kenji Matsubara has made it known that he has asked Sony to drop the price of the PlayStation 3.

In an interview with CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=218823], he said: "Whenever I discuss this with Sony reps I always ask them: 'Please cut the price', but I don't have a clear view on Sony's situation."

"It's definitely a way of boosting the PS3 market, but it's Sony's strategy and I don't know their cost structure. Sony introduced cutting-edge technology in the PS3, that's why people in the industry accept that the PS3 cost is so high, but we'd welcome a price cut."

"Yes, from a publisher's point of view we would welcome a price cut for PS3, and we are waiting, definitely," he added.

Source: via 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175054]

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Forgive my ignorance but are PS3 games actually on Blu-Ray discs?
If not, couldn't they make a second more affordable model PS3 without the Blu-Ray player?

It just seems that whether or not Blu-Ray is the way of the future, people aren't all that interested in switching to it yet. I for one still don't have a Hi-Def compatible television (its still the old bulky model) and as such Blu-Ray would be redundant for me.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
fletch_talon said:
If not, couldn't they make a second more affordable model PS3 without the Blu-Ray player?

It just seems that whether or not Blu-Ray is the way of the future, people aren't all that interested in switching to it yet. I for one still don't have a Hi-Def compatible television (its still the old bulky model) and as such Blu-Ray would be redundant for me.
its part of their marketing stratigery, yeah stratigery, blu ray will make us all go out and buy the same movies that Sony Pictures made before.

Its the whole DVD thing again, but with DVD Sony got pissy that they didn't think of it, they helped out with Philips in making the Compact Disc and made everyone buy the same albums they had on vinyl all over again, they wanna do the same with Blu-ray, get you to buy more Sony stuff all over again.

Hoxton

Oct 10, 2008
This thread has been done 3 times in one day. It seems that mods can easily overlook their own rules.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
ColdStorage said:
fletch_talon said:

its part of their marketing stratigery, yeah stratigery, blu ray will make us all go out and buy the same movies that Sony Pictures made before.

Its the whole DVD thing again, but with DVD Sony got pissy that they didn't think of it, they helped out with Philips in making the Compact Disc and made everyone buy the same albums they had on vinyl all over again, they wanna do the same with Blu-ray, get you to buy more Sony stuff all over again.
Fair enough. However could they not just run out both versions of the console at the same time. If making money is their objective (which of course it is), then I would suggest they make a compromise of sorts, some people (like myself)wouldn't mind buying a PS3, but considering I'd only use it for gaming, the excessive price puts me off (and in my case the non PS2 compatability is a turn off too, I have a PS1 but not a PS2).

If they really are losing money on PS3 units (which seems to be popular belief) then why not try to recuperate loss by bringing out a "lite" version of the console, one that they might be able to realistically sell at a profit.

Hoxton said:
This thread has been done 3 times in one day. It seems that mods can easily overlook their own rules.
Or perhaps since this is a thread made to discuss an official article/content your point is null and void. Escapist content to my knowledge is not really comparable to random people making threads about it.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
fletch_talon said:

Yeah, that's not really the case at all. People >are< interested in switching to it. The problem is that people can't afford it, not because of the price, but because it's a commodity for a commodity. When people can't afford commodities why would they get a commodity for a commodity?

It's really no different than DVD's or VC's.

What people don't realize is that while Sony loses money on the PS3, they gain nothing but money from all Bluray related sales. Phillips Bluray players? They get money from each sale. Warner Bros. puts a movie on Bluray? Same thing. Games on Bluray? Again, same thing.

So, it doesn't really matter if they lose some money on it nor does it really matter if you buy one or not. They did exactly what they wanted to do with the PS3 and everything else is really just a bonus to them.

Despite what people think, Sony knows what they are doing. Just because it doesn't all revolve around the world you live in doesn't mean anything.

And yes, all PS3 games are on Bluray. Most PS3 exclusives would not fit on a DVD.

fletch_talon

Nov 6, 2008
Credge said:
Despite what people think, Sony knows what they are doing. Just because it doesn't all revolve around the world you live in doesn't mean anything.
I hope this isn't directed at me. Considering I didn't once criticise what Sony does with the PS3, I was just asking why they havn't followed a particular path. Yes I think its silly to market the PS3 as a gaming console when they apparently are relying on its Blu-Ray player to make money, but if its working for them, fine.

Yes I would like the PS3 to be more affordable and backwards compatible with the PS2, but I'm not about to come and whine about it. Considering how much I hate it when others do the same about my console of choice. Honestly, if you don't like it, don't buy it, if you honestly can't find any redeeming features for it, then you won't be missing out on much will you?

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
fletch_talon said:
Fair enough. However could they not just run out both versions of the console at the same time. If making money is their objective (which of course it is), then I would suggest they make a compromise of sorts, some people (like myself)wouldn't mind buying a PS3, but considering I'd only use it for gaming, the excessive price puts me off (and in my case the non PS2 compatability is a turn off too, I have a PS1 but not a PS2).

If they really are losing money on PS3 units (which seems to be popular belief) then why not try to recuperate loss by bringing out a "lite" version of the console, one that they might be able to realistically sell at a profit.
The Blu Ray games are a great addition in my opinion, I've never had disc read errors because they are almost impossible to scratch and the extra size allows the games to be quite a bit bigger (like MGS4). The uncompressed sound really does sound good with all the SFX in games. You can really notice the difference with a good TV, but I wouldn't call it necessary.

Anyway, I don't think they should drop the format, especially for future potential.

The PS3 might get an emulator technology of sorts that would allow every model to play PS2 games and if rumors are to be believed they are dropping the price soon along with a Slim model, so your problems might be fixed then.

Hoxton

Oct 10, 2008
nilcypher said:
Hoxton said:
And what rule would that be?
Not to make same posts? Everyone around escapist is rattling about the search button. So i came to understand that it's essential to check if there have been same topics (at least recently) before posting one? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Hoxton said:
nilcypher said:
Hoxton said:
Not to make same posts? Everyone around escapist is rattling about the search button. So i came to understand that it's essential to check if there have been same topics (at least recently) before posting one? Correct me if I'm wrong.
It's a slightly different matter if you're talking about a news post though isn't it?

Hoxton

Oct 10, 2008
nilcypher said:
Hoxton said:
nilcypher said:
Hoxton said:

It's a slightly different matter if you're talking about a news post though isn't it?
How come?

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
I have to confess that I'm starting to think that Sony don't care about the sales of this console. It has already served its purpose in winning for them a format war between their Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. They still own Columbia pictures, right? So they have a content-pipeline. They are keen on getting everyone to upgrade their widescreen TVs to HD Bravias, obviously they need an HD disc player of some sort. Hence the PS3.

So long as third party developers keep working on the 2nd wave of its games (and, frankly, how many AAA titles can gamers afford to buy?), they will in a couple of years have a smallish, high-quality, catalogue of exclusives whereupon the drop in the price of its components will give them the latitude for a dramatic price cut.

There isn't any reason for them to sell more subsidized consoles when there is so little software for them and so few people can afford it.

The only snag in having a 10-year plan is that it spans the normal 5-year console lifespan. One could reasonably expect them to find strong competition from the next Xbox in another 18 months. I'd expect Microsoft to launch a 1080 around November 2010, forcing a PS3 price cut.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
fletch_talon said:
I hope this isn't directed at me. Considering I didn't once criticise what Sony does with the PS3, I was just asking why they havn't followed a particular path.
Oh no, I didn't aim it at you. It was intended to be one of those "Everyone says this, and it's not really true" sort of deals not directed at anyone.

Yes I think its silly to market the PS3 as a gaming console when they apparently are relying on its Blu-Ray player to make money, but if its working for them, fine.
It's not marketed as a gaming console. It's marketed as a home media platform.

Gamers think it's marketed as a gaming console. Asking random people about it, they generally say "Media" or "Games and movies".

Yes I would like the PS3 to be more affordable and backwards compatible with the PS2, but I'm not about to come and whine about it. Considering how much I hate it when others do the same about my console of choice. Honestly, if you don't like it, don't buy it, if you honestly can't find any redeeming features for it, then you won't be missing out on much will you?
There's a PS3 that is backwards compatible with PS2 and all PS3's are backwards compatible with PS1 games. They removed it because it "costs too much money" and gets in the way of the PS2, which still sells well and is nothing but huge profit for them.

Everyone would like the PS3 to be more affordable, but you're looking at a lot of tech that needs to go down in price. It's not just Bluray, Cell Processors, and other required bits. It's just technology as a whole. The list of features the PS3 has goes through the roof, and it all supports each other.

Here's sort of a break down of logic for just 7.1 surround sound.

Bluray allows for 7.1 surround sound in games and movies.

Not including 7.1 surround sound on the PS3 would save money, but then what is the real point of the Bluray?

So, in order to make the Bluray worth while, you need to include 7.1 surround sound.

And you could sort of do this with every tiny little thing that is included. Wi-fi, 1080p, Bluetooth, a decently sized hard drive... all of it sort of revolves around the Bluray or something linked to the Bluray.

So, as much as everyone would like to see a price cut, you're looking at cutting features out that negates a big part of what makes the PS3 a really good deal despite the cost. That is, unless all technology advances enough to warrant a cheaper price on some of the basic things I listed above.

If they're able to make a PS3-Slim then the normal PS3's should be cheaper as well UNLESS the PS3-Slim has a lot of those features removed and it's made specifically for games. Which is cool for those who don't want a media system and just want a gaming console... but then... don't the 360 and Wii cover that area pretty well?

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Credge said:
fletch_talon said:
I hope this isn't directed at me. Considering I didn't once criticise what Sony does with the PS3, I was just asking why they havn't followed a particular path.
Oh no, I didn't aim it at you. It was intended to be one of those "Everyone says this, and it's not really true" sort of deals not directed at anyone.

Yes I think its silly to market the PS3 as a gaming console when they apparently are relying on its Blu-Ray player to make money, but if its working for them, fine.
It's not marketed as a gaming console. It's marketed as a home media platform.

Gamers think it's marketed as a gaming console. Asking random people about it, they generally say "Media" or "Games and movies".

There's a PS3 that is backwards compatible with PS2 and all PS3's are backwards compatible with PS1 games. They removed it because it "costs too much money" and gets in the way of the PS2, which still sells well and is nothing but huge profit for them.

Everyone would like the PS3 to be more affordable, but you're looking at a lot of tech that needs to go down in price. It's not just Bluray, Cell Processors, and other required bits. It's just technology as a whole. The list of features the PS3 has goes through the roof, and it all supports each other.

Here's sort of a break down of logic for just 7.1 surround sound.

Bluray allows for 7.1 surround sound in games and movies.

Not including 7.1 surround sound on the PS3 would save money, but then what is the real point of the Bluray?

So, in order to make the Bluray worth while, you need to include 7.1 surround sound.

And you could sort of do this with every tiny little thing that is included. Wi-fi, 1080p, Bluetooth, a decently sized hard drive... all of it sort of revolves around the Bluray or something linked to the Bluray.

So, as much as everyone would like to see a price cut, you're looking at cutting features out that negates a big part of what makes the PS3 a really good deal despite the cost. That is, unless all technology advances enough to warrant a cheaper price on some of the basic things I listed above.

If they're able to make a PS3-Slim then the normal PS3's should be cheaper as well UNLESS the PS3-Slim has a lot of those features removed and it's made specifically for games. Which is cool for those who don't want a media system and just want a gaming console... but then... don't the 360 and Wii cover that area pretty well?
Bluray is not directly required for HD or surround sound. It's just a very large disk at an even more disproportionate price. It fits alot of data, and those things are data intensive. It's possible to put HD footage with 7.1 surround sound on a DVD, CD or if it's short enough, a floppy or NES cartridge. I'll stick with my extrenal HD that fits the content of 30 blu ray disks at about the price of 10 of them.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Hoxton said:
nilcypher said:
Hoxton said:
nilcypher said:
Hoxton said:

How come?
The mods spend time researching the facts and writing a quality article, much different than a random person posting a link and a sentence. And the news stays on the front page of the site, unlike user posts which can fall behind and never been seen by everyone.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Mornelithe said:
*Sniff* I liked this thread the first time, when I made it yesterday morning =

(
Rednog said:
Hoxton said:
nilcypher said:
Hoxton said:
nilcypher said:
Hoxton said:

How come?
The mods spend time researching the facts and writing a quality article, much different than a random person posting a link and a sentence. And the news stays on the front page of the site, unlike user posts which can fall behind and never been seen by everyone.
I receive multiple RSS and Google news Alert feeds on the hour, every hour, for PS3, and PC gaming updates. In fact, I also posted the GTbyCitroen post before anyone else.
That's great, but it is escapist magazine not escapist forum. Thus the staff has every right to post their own news articles. The rules exist to help stop multiple user threads for popping up, ie look at when Jackson died, a ton of posts were generated across the forums. And like I mentioned user news can be looked over easily, but having something written on the front page at least gives a better chance for the news to be seen. And we don't all subscribe to various news alerts.