Ubisoft Confirms Next Year's Assassin's Creed Sequel

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Ubisoft Confirms Next Year's Assassin's Creed Sequel

Ubisoft has another Assassin's Creed game in the works. No, not Revelations. Another one.

Though Assassin's Creed: Revelations won't hit store shelves until next Tuesday, publisher Ubisoft has confirmed the existence of a new title in the series, scheduled for release sometime during 2012.

The game, which was confirmed by Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot during a recent financial earnings conference call, remains unnamed though presumably it will heavily feature people dying under mysterious circumstances. Almost as if they had been assassinated, I suppose.

Truthfully, outside of the franchise it belongs to, the game is a mystery. Will it star Ezio? Will we meet a new Assassin? Will the titular "Creed" be an actual creed this time, as opposed to a simple marketing-approved buzzword?

Who knows?

Less of a mystery though, is Ubisoft's motivation in making its blockbuster Assassin's Creed games an annual thing. During the conference call Guillemot stressed that pre-orders for Assassin's Creed: Revelations are "significantly higher than last year" and that the game is expected to sell as well, if not better than Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.

(For those of you keeping score at home, Brotherhood has moved more than 3 million copies since its November 2010 release.)

Alright boys and girls, we have an upcoming game in a beloved series of which we know nearly nothing. You know what that means: wild speculation time!

Here's my thinking: With Ezio appearing in Soulcalibur V [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113718-Rumor-Assassins-Creeds-Ezio-Joins-Soulcalibur-V-Cast], the next game is wide open for cross-mythos shenanigans. Picture this: Ezio, Solid Snake and Batman join forces to bring down Mother Brain. Also, everyone is a zombie for some reason.

(Oh, like you could do better.)

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/38449/Ubisoft_Confirms_New_Assassins_Creed_Coming_Next_Year.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29]

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
Wait, I thought they said that they weren't doing another annual release next time, with Revelations being the confirmed end of Ezio's story.

Oh well, if they are able to keep the same standard that they have been annually, I'm happy with that.

PS, still wondering how Revelation's cliff hanger will outdo Brotherhood. Good god was that a twist.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Drummie666 said:
Wait, I thought they said that they weren't doing another annual release next time, with Revelations being the confirmed end of Ezio's story.

Oh well, if they are able to keep the same standard that they have been annually, I'm happy with that.

PS, still wondering how Revelation's cliff hanger will outdo Brotherhood. Good god was that a twist.
How to out-do the ending? All they have to do is make it even MORE confusing!

However, I want Victorian London setting, maybe even a little rendezvous with Jack the Ripper, perhaps? Or Desmond in modern day?

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
Ubisoft's yearly releases with the AC games are really starting to worry me. No, I'm not worried about the series becoming COD-ified or something like that, I'm worried about the state of the workplace at Ubisoft considering the huge games being made on such a tight schedule. With all the worker mistreatment in this industry coming to light lately, I wonder if Ubi's employees are being treated properly.

As for the game itself, eh. I'd rather see more spaced-out releases, but if it works, it works.

May 25, 2010
Broterhood has sold way more than 3 million. In fact, it did 3 million in 2010 alone (that's in a month and a half). By now, it's closer to 7 million.

Unless they go for a radical time period, setting and (assassin) protagonist change, this series is going down the crapper. Just give me a game with Desmond if you're that out of ideas guys, I am SO sick of Ezio. To think I actually liked him a lot in 2.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
My guess is that the next assassin will be something premodern, then we'll actually get Desmond as the main character, and finally we'll get a game taking place in the future.

If they don't make an Assassin's Creed set in the future with glowy laser hidden blades, they are fools.

Edit: Also, did everyone miss the news a while back where they said they actually liked doing yearly releases for the series and would probably continue doing that for the foreseeable future? It doesn't seem to have really hurt the games (though Brotherhood could have stood for a tiny bit more polish - especially in some of the in-engine cutscenes).

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Replace "Zombie" with "Robot Zombie Space Pirate Ghosts" from Ratchet & Clank 3. Did I do better?
V TheSystem V said:
Drummie666 said:

How to out-do the ending? All they have to do is make it even MORE confusing!

However, I want Victorian London setting, maybe even a little rendezvous with Jack the Ripper, perhaps? Or Desmond in modern day?
Considering that Jack was killing prostitutes, and Assassins are allied with courtesans, that would make sense. And that blades could still be used, The worst people would have the on the streets of London would be Revolvers, which could be single action.

Dec 14, 2009
I've said it once and I'll say it again.

Female Assassin

Voiced by Jennifer Hale

Victorian England

Or I will kill 2 hostages every hour.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Drummie666 said:

It is back and forth. They certainly have the capabilities to make one every year, especially if it still a big money earner for Ubisoft. They have five studios working full time on the AC games, and like most of their big AAAs, they send parts to almost every studio for some of the development.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:

Female Assassin

Voiced by Jennifer Hale

Victorian England

Dear Ubisoft, please hire this person kthxbai.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
Here's my thinking: With Ezio appearing in Soulcalibur V [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113718-Rumor-Assassins-Creeds-Ezio-Joins-Soulcalibur-V-Cast], the next game is wide open for cross-mythos shenanigans. Picture this: Ezio, Solid Snake and Batman join forces to bring down Mother Brain. Also, everyone is a zombie for some reason.
No, they're saving the Zombie-fest for a DLC standalone.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
Broterhood has sold way more than 3 million. In fact, it did 3 million in 2010 alone (that's in a month and a half). By now, it's closer to 7 million.

Unless they go for a radical time period, setting and (assassin) protagonist change, this series is going down the crapper. Just give me a game with Desmond if you're that out of ideas guys, I am SO sick of Ezio. To think I actually liked him a lot in 2.
Revelations is the last game with Ezio and/or Altair. They said this when the game was first announced.

OT: There's really only 2 ways the series can go from here. Either they find a reason for Desmond to investigate yet another ancestor's memories in another time period or have him be the main assassin in the game. Both seem like interesting concepts.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
This will be Assassins Creed 3, Revalations is the end to Ezio's story.

It's talked about quite a bit on the Assassins Creed Wiki...

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:

Female Assassin

Voiced by Jennifer Hale

Victorian England

Wouldn't that be a bit weird for Desmond? I imagine the fact he has such a strong likeness to his ancestors helps integrate him as such a likeness would help him feel more in place in the bodies of his ancestors.

However surely the anatomical differences would make it much weirder for him? I imagine it would be harder to synchronise what a female ancestor was feeling with what Desmond was feeling and I think this would affect his immersion in the world created by the animus, making it much harder to get it to work and to get reliable information from it.

Of course I'm one game behind so for all I know the animus is obsolete or something else that makes my points invalid.

As for the game my guess is that it is going to be Assassins Creed 3 (because this seems to be a 2012 thing and next year is of course 2012).

ddc123

Mar 25, 2011
Didn't they say that the current story arc would end in 2012 to coincide with the whole end of the world thing?

SangRahl

Feb 11, 2009
I've got it!
A new reimagining of the Assassins through the generational World Wars. In WWI, you take to the trenches and fight through Europe while trying to uncover information about the artifacts. In WWII, you're a member of the British Special Forces, trying to follow the trail of your WWI counterpart. And in the near-present, you attempt to piece together the discoveries of the previous Assassins, while trying to take down a militant offshoot from the Aspergo Templars.

Oh, and it's an FPS. (You know, where the "reimagining" comes in.)

Heheheh.

*NOTE: Please, DEAR LORD, do not do this... ever. Period.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Ah son of a bi***!!!!

Do hope it's not the same storyline of Ezio considering that if such was true it would be classified has overusage of the same character over and over again.

Common did he only had 2 ancestors? Altaiir and Ezio? Goddam i want to see other time periods...

i will shut up before i have further details though... Don't want to act like a idiot before i know the full development of the information...

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Drummie666 said:

This just in: Assassin's Creed meets Kingdom Hearts.

Daystar Clarion said:

Female Assassin

Voiced by Jennifer Hale

Victorian England

...Make it three.

TitanAtlas said:
Ah son of a bi***!!!!

Do hope it's not the same storyline of Ezio considering that if such was true it would be classified has overusage of the same character over and over again.

Common did he only had 2 ancestors? Altaiir and Ezio? Goddam i want to see other time periods...

i will shut up before i have further details though... Don't want to act like a idiot before i know the full development of the information...
Revelations is supposed to be the last game featuring Ezio. Which makes sense, considering that Ezio is an old man and he hasn't spawned any offspring yet. Sex minigame, ho!

Edit: Since the Animus would transfer Desmond over to the next of kin, that means that the game will either end with Ezio boning some chick, or he bones her mid-game and you play out the rest of the game as someone totally new! What a tweest!

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
If Ubisoft is smart, they'll make Assassin's Creed III next year and bring close Desmond's story. Why? Because next year is 2012 and that is a very significant date for the in-game fiction. Specifically,
December 21, 2012 is the date that the unspecified disaster that Minerva warned Desmond about at the end of ACII. It's also the date that Abstergo is supposed to launch their satellite network containing the Pieces of Eden and beginning controlling the minds of the entire world. Any and all 2012 anxiety will fall flat in the game's story if the game is released AFTER the 21st of Decmeber, 2012 has come and gone uneventfully.