Infinity Ward Exec: Success for Both Call of Duty and Battlefield is "Better for the Industry"

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Infinity Ward Exec: Success for Both Call of Duty and Battlefield is "Better for the Industry"

Modern Warfare 3's executive producer has described any Battlefield trash-talking as "silly publisher talk."

On the surface, publishers EA and Activision don't seem to have been getting along terribly well of late. During the run up to the launch of both of their big FPS titles - Battlefield 3 and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 respectively - both sides engaged in name-calling [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112486-EA-Slings-More-Mud-at-Activision]. Now that both games have launched, however, the executive producer behind the latter has made it clear that this apparent acrimony does not extend to the studios responsible for the games.

"Much respect for everyone involved on the DICE side and I think they feel the same way with us. We're friends with them," said Infinity Ward exec and Modern Warfare 3 producer Mark Rubin to Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-08-infinity-ward-its-better-for-the-industry-if-mw3-and-bf3-succeed]. "It's not what they portray on the EA side...honestly, it's the fans you want to listen to. They're gamers, they're going to play both games, both games are great."

Rubin described the mud-slinging as "silly publisher talk" before elaborating on how he thinks success for one game doesn't necessarily mean loss for another. "When both games succeed it's better for the industry as a whole," he said. "It's not just us - we want the gaming industry to succeed because the better the gaming industry does the better we all do. We root for everybody."

It's nice to hear expressions of professional respect in a world cluttered with loud taunts that sound more and more like bad attempts at marketing the more you hear them. As Rubin said, huge success is good for the industry as a whole; being divisive doesn't get us anywhere and despite which you prefer, both Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 look set to be great games. Doesn't it feel nice to be nice?

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-08-infinity-ward-its-better-for-the-industry-if-mw3-and-bf3-succeed]

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Ive often noticed something intriguing. People love DICE, yet hate EA. People love Infinity Ward, yet hate Activision.

I guess you have to dance with devil-oper in order to survive.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
Haven't gotten MW3 yet, does it come with an online pass like BF3? My little brother recently came over and I wanted to show him BF3, but when I put the game in my downstairs console we couldn't play. Even though I was on the same xbox live account apparently the code is saved to the console. I just watched him play campaign because even coop doesn't work without the code.

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
I never thought I could actually muster up any respect for IW or anyone affiliated. . . but this is easily one of the most grounded, and agreeable statements I've ever heard from a developer. Major props to Mark Rubin.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
I'm happy to see that the people who actually create the games get along fine. I just hope EA can grow up a little.

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
Fusioncode9 said:
I'm happy to see that the people who actually create the games get along fine. I just hope EA can grow up a little.
These are the guys that did the dead space 2 commercial. I love DICE but EA is just plain disagreeable with.

EDIT: Sorry about double post. My post wasn't appearing for a while. My bad.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Don't forget the fans, they are like the publishers flying monkey minions... minus the fairytale aesthetics.

It's wasted effort, but I wish people would start making the distinction between Developer and Publisher. Not that Devs are always paragons/geniuses and Publishers are always evil/stupid, but a lot of finger pointing these days are missing their mark.

Jubbert

Apr 3, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
"You wanna put out a flame war, Sir, You need to set-off a bigger explosion right next to it...
http://gamingbolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim.jpg
You are a god.

Also, I thought it was common knowledge that big-name publishers are nearly all fuckers while the developers are simply a collection of artists and engineers working together to create something they like.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
The huge success is good for both of them. I hope publishers realize you don't have to be THE game to be very successful. Halo isn't the number 1 game anymore but it is still doing quite well. Killzone, Resistance, Gears, they all have healthy populations as far as I've heard.

I hope we move away from this "next big thing" mentality and just let everyone enjoy a comfortable marketshare. Some will inevitably be more successful than others but hopefully any new game that isn't (insert most popular Shooter here)won't always dead on arrival.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
wooty said:
Ive often noticed something intriguing. People love DICE, yet hate EA. People love Infinity Ward, yet hate Activision.

I guess you have to dance with devil-oper in order to survive.
so true, its usually the publishers fault for the state a game comes out in, im sure the dev teams would love to spend all there time making the game the best it can be but when the publisher is eager to get their money back, they want the game out in the open as soon as possible, and then the dev team take the flak for it, good example is BF3. I think thats why i like nearly all the games valve do because they are there own publisher in a sense so they release their games when they want to, not when they have to.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
That is all well and good that they can get along post launch, But I am just counting the days until Blop 2 or whatever they are cranking out in 1 year, gets announced so I can lol.

I love COD I try to they had been putting out the best war fps's for a while, at least out of IW, they had that good parent bad parent thing going on where every other game sucked up until black ops.