Ninja Theory Invites a Select Few Players To Try DmC: Devil May Cry

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Ninja Theory Invites a Select Few Players To Try DmC: Devil May Cry

Ninja Theory has invited several Devil May Cry veterans to try its controversial take on the series.

The initial response to the Enslaved: Odyessy to the West and Heavenly Sword developer's semi-reboot of the DMC franchise was not particularly positive, to put it lightly. Fans didn't like the fact the series had been handed off to a relatively unproven western developer, they didn't like the fact the game would be running at 30FPS rather than the traditional 60 and they certainly didn't like the grittier redesigned Dante - whose uncanny resemblance to lead designer Tameem Antoniades [http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/3/34626/1675720-tameem.jpg] has not gone unnoticed. Ninja Theory was initially dismissive [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112373-Ninja-Theory-Devil-May-Cry-Skeptics-Secretly-Want-to-Like-It] of the fan skepticism, with Antoniades claiming the complainers "secretly wanted to like [the game]."

Now it appears Ninja Theory is interested in fan feedback, at least from certain fans. According to NeoGAF, "top DMC players" in the UK have been invited to Ninja Theory's Cambridge Studio to try the game and hopefully offer some feedback. Previous DMC titles have had bustling communities dedicated to high-level player, and Devil May Cry 3, which is widely regarded as best game in the series, was developed with input from top-tier players.

I wonder if this is a genuine request for player input, something Ninja Theory hasn't been particularly receptive to thus far, or if it's a PR move in the vein of Valve's method of dealing with Left 4 Dead 2 boycotters [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94599-Valve-Flies-L4D2-Boycotters-to-HQ-to-Prove-Them-Wrong]. Either way, the message I'm getting is that if you complain loud enough, developers will offer you a trip to their studio and free food. Begin whining.

Source: NeoGAF [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451332]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Does this mean we can expect another news post within a week of this happening with what they thought about it then?

Either way to have pulled this Ninja Theory must be confident about DmC's success with DMC fans.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
I don't secretly want to like it, nor do I secretly care about Devil May Cry. Somehing being true and trying to makes yourself believe something is true are two very different things, Mr. Antoniades.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Redundant titles really annoy me. Like the new Doctor Who logo where the Tardis becomes a big DW. We already know that DW stands for Doctor Who, you don't need to remind us. Ugh.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Ninja Theory is staffed by trolls. I think I'm perfectly justified in speaking for all the skeptics when I say NO ONE "wants to secretly like" this fuckheap of an alternate interpretation. In fact this is going the EA way; they steal the rights to a popular franchise, take a shit all over it then deny the backlash from the public.

I'm fucking serious when I say no one should buy this. Minimize their profits from this treachery, so Ninja Theory will learn a lesson in source material respect.

cgentero

Nov 5, 2010
Hopefully those chosen won't sugarcoat things if its as bad as I'm thinking, specifically stuff like those slo mo kill cam BS, either way nice to see they're trying to get the old DMC fans back.

Ninja Theory has yet to confirm the emails authenticity BTW

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
blalien said:
Redundant titles really annoy me. Like the new Doctor Who logo where the Tardis becomes a big DW. We already know that DW stands for Doctor Who, you don't need to remind us. Ugh.
If that's aimed at me DmC: Devil May Cry is actually the title of the game. Yeah I know, it's dumb.

gigastar said:
Does this mean we can expect another news post within a week of this happening with what they thought about it then?

Either way to have pulled this Ninja Theory must be confident about DmC's success with DMC fans.
I'll be keeping an eye on the NeoGAF forums. Assuming the players aren't under an NDA then yeah, I'll cover their responses.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
blalien said:
Glad to know I'm not the only one who hates the new Doctor Who logo... what was wrong with the first one they made for the rebooted series? D:

OT: Again, I personaly think this is just trying salavage something from the PR mess Ninja Theory has done with the game. The fact they changed it to a another reality pretty much proves they don't have that much confidence in it at all. It's not even a interesting interpretation of the series like how they did the reboot of Battlestar Galactica.

I think @Cid Silverwing has the right idea to show how angry we are, just don't buy the game. Don't scream "Boycott!" and rage online about it, just don't buy the bloody thing.

Vor@Tan

Apr 29, 2009
it's funny, but i read elsewhere (unfortunately i can't remember the name of the site (it was a weird one... japanise-spelling/sounding but i think it was american???)- which pisses me off as some of the comments on it about this game were hillarious!!!...) that NT really didn't care about getting the old DMC fans back and were too busy trying to get new ones.

yeah know, this is actually rather annoying because we all know that this IS a PR move and whatever the "top DMC players" say will be edited to make the game not sound as ugly as it is (or make it sound like the most kick-arse game in history *pointiedly looking at you Duke!! ^.0) and how do we know they'll ACTUALLY have gamers playing, they could just be making this crap up!!?

but untill they actually bring back all that made us LOVE DMC in the first place -not this shite of a reboot garbage gimmick- i won't be buying it (but i will be keeping one beary eye on any news of it)
but i'm not holding my breath for anything good to happen (just looking at the state of games nowadays is enough to make one depressed for anything good to be made)

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Say, Ninja Theory. How about releasing a demo and letting us decide for ourselves whether or not this is a worthy addition to the franchise.

I still intend to reserve my final judgements for when I actually play the damn thing, but I have no intention of listening to players praise the game when there's a possibility they're being paid off.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
A gift for insulting all fans of the franchise? Oh wait no, its just for a select few that can/will be bought off for positive reviews.

Remember, all haters secretly want to like it.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
I don't care if it has solid gameplay.
That's not good enough.
It has to meet the standards DMC 3 set, and it probably needs to take hints from Bayonetta seeing as it's the same guy who made them.

This game will not be a revival of the franchise, because the franchise wasn't dead yet.

And the name DmC is stupid, Why the fuck is it uncapitalised?
It doesn't look new age or 'hip' for fucks sake.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Cid SilverWing said:
Ninja Theory is staffed by trolls. I think I'm perfectly justified in speaking for all the skeptics when I say NO ONE "wants to secretly like" this fuckheap of an alternate interpretation. In fact this is going the EA way; they steal the rights to a popular franchise, take a shit all over it then deny the backlash from the public.

I'm fucking serious when I say no one should buy this. Minimize their profits from this treachery, so Ninja Theory will learn a lesson in source material respect.
i agree with this.

you may be giving them to much credit for a learning curve though. after all they spent the better part of development bad mouthing the fans, and NOW they care what we think? right .... I buy that, i hope they rip the game several new ones

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Enslaved and Heavenly Sword are both great, I have faith for the gameplay of "DmC".

IcyTicey

Sep 20, 2011
The best way to rub NT's nose in it would be if millions of copies of the HD rerelease of the Devil May Cry collection sold, and only meger amounts of their DmC.

I think their announcing the alternate universe setting last week is bull. They stated in earlier press releases it was a prequel; now they are just trying to save face because everyone hates that strung out emo they are trying to pass off as Dante.

The fans love Dante because he is DANTE. NT doesn't like original Dante so they change him. So, NT, are you making a game for yourselves, or the fans? Only one option will make you money...