Game Devs Vote Baldur's Gate Best Game of All Time

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Game Devs Vote Baldur's Gate Best Game of All Time

1,000 developers listed their twenty favorite games, and a certain mustachioed plumber didn't even make the top fifteen.

A recent survey given to game developers awarded BioWare's beloved game series Baldur's Gate top honors as the best game series of all time, winning out over second place runner up, Diablo, and third place winner, Monkey Island. I know everyone's aching to cheer and/or groan at what else was included, so without further ado, here's the full list:

1) Baldur's Gate (series)
2) Diablo (series)
3) Monkey Island (series)
4) Shadow of the Colossus
5) Mass Effect (series)
6) Batman: Arkham Asylum
7) StarCraft
8) The Legend of Zelda
9) EverQuest
10) Devil May Cry
11) Tomb Raider (series)
12) BioShock
13) Metal Gear Solid
14) World of Warcraft
15) Deus Ex
16) Super Mario (series)
17) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
18) Silent Hill
19) Assassin's Creed
20) Dead Space

The poll was conducted by The World Gaming Executive network for the first issue of its WGE magazine. While the publication may be new, the organization itself has been around for four years and includes over 30,000 members. You may have never heard of the WGE, but Blizzard, Apple, Virgin Games, and Ubisoft are but some of the larger developers already included in its network.

All in all, while there are a few surprises to be had (and some obvious exclusions), I think we've all read multiple "best games of all time" lists far worse and nonsensical than this one. I was even impressed by the variety of styles and genres represented, spanning everything from point-and-click adventure to first-person-shooters. Since games are subjective, there's never going to be a list that's a perfect fit for everyone--especially one that's made from 1,000 different people's opinions--but hey, I've seen worse. Only one thing really stands out to me: Not one of these games was made for the App Store. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113986-Apple-Voted-Largest-Influence-On-Gaming-Industry]

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-08-game-devs-favourite-is-baldurs-gate]

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
Magic is impressive, but now Minsc shall lead with blade and boot. Boo will take care of the details.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
This really begs the question: if so many developers love Baldur's Gate, why the hell does no one make that kind of isometric RPG any more?

Lucyfer86

Jun 30, 2011
So, there's Modern Warfare, there's Bioshock... but no Half-Life, bullshit.
Crappy list anyway in my opinion.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
Leftnt Sharpe said:
This really begs the question: if so many developers love Baldur's Gate, why the hell does no one make that kind of isometric RPG any more?
That sort of decision is ultimately based on what they think will sell, not what they'd prefer to be playing themselves.

randomsix

Apr 20, 2009
Leftnt Sharpe said:
Because it's harder to make an AAA title out of one. They still make them indie though.

OT: A lot of the higher ranks go to older games. Perhaps this is an indication of a trend of quality?

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Wait...Baldur's Gate is there, but -not- Planescape Torment...seriously?

Though I'll admit it's still a pretty good list otherwise.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Sorry, but this list is kind of crap and reeks of developers trying to push their own games. I have been wanting to try Baldur's Gate for a while, but this list is not reinforcing or diminishing my desire to play the game.

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
How come the MGS series wasn't included but the Mass Effect series was! I detect major bias here.

Also who the feth voted for COD and Dead Space? Okay their good games; but not best ever. Silent Hill2 > Dead Space anyday. What about RDR (series) or a Total War game? Half-Life (series).

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
SteelStallion said:
Leftnt Sharpe said:
It's more of a fond, nostalgic love I believe.

Also, Diablo 3, Torchlight and Dungeon Siege 3 are just a few off the top of my head.
Those are all Hack and Slash RPGs, not CRPGs like the Infinity Engine games.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
alrekr said:
How come the MGS series wasn't included but the Mass Effect series was! I detect major bias here.

Also who the feth voted for COD and Dead Space? Okay their good games; but not best ever. Silent Hill2 > Dead Space anyday. What about RDR (series) or a Total War game? Half-Life (series).
MGS=13

I do agree with you and everyone else about the bizarre lack of HL, though.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Leftnt Sharpe said:
They tried a total conversion of Mass Effect 2 in that style. Wyvern Aeon II or somesuch shit. Didn't sell too well.