Modern Warfare 3 Nutcase Threatens to Blow Up Best Buy

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Modern Warfare 3 Nutcase Threatens to Blow Up Best Buy

A Colorado idiot threatened to shoot employees and blow up a Best Buy after the store screwed up his Modern Warfare 3 preorder.

Call of Duty really seems to bring out the Einsteins, doesn't it? First we had the criminal mastermind who was picked up at a midnight launch event after a Modern Warfare 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114117-Modern-Warfare-3-Fan-Fends-Off-Really-Stupid-Thief] preorder.

When it turned out that the store didn't have his game, Sar became "irate," according to the manager, and instead of angling for a gift card or a free upgrade to the Hardened Edition, he started asking employees what time they were done work - so he could shoot them in the parking lot as they left. Then, for good measure, he threatened to blow up the whole damn store.

Fearful employees, unable to determine whether Sar was a lunatic or just a kook, called police, who pulled him over as he drove away from the store and charged him with disorderly conduct. "Investigating officers issued a criminal summons to a man who threatened to carry out his own version of Modern Warfare at the electronics store," Detective Bob Friel told the Aurora Sentinel [http://www.aurorasentinel.com/email_push/news/article_d480b74e-0a53-11e1-a1b2-001cc4c03286.html]. "Fortunately, this situation did not end in violence."

And why didn't this guy just pop over to another Best Buy to pick up his game if he was so desperate to get it that night? Apparently he's a bit of a known hothead; 9News.com [http://www.9news.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=1265386574001] said he's had at least a half-dozen previous run-ins with police over traffic violations.

via: GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2011/11/09/colorado-man-threatens-blow-best-buy-over-modern-warfare-3-pre-order-problems]

Feb 13, 2008
Welcome to retail, guys.

For every 1,000 people you serve, there will be one that wants to destroy you.
For every 1,000,000 you serve, there will be one that tries.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Why cant the CoD fanbase be like regular fanbases? As in buying whatever pleases thier fanboy desires and keeping thier insigificant rants to internet forums.

Snarky

Chirp-Chirp
Jul 27, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Welcome to retail, guys.

For every 1,000 people you serve, there will be one that wants to destroy you.
For every 1,000,000 you serve, there will be one that tries.
Electronics Retail: There's always that one guy who wants to buy a butane torch so he can smoke his meth, but doesn't want to pay for it. That guy will stab you in the parking lot.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
gigastar said:
Why cant the CoD fanbase be like regular fanbases? As in buying whatever pleases thier fanboy desires and keeping thier insigificant rants to internet forums.
Well said sir that is what the internet was created for right?

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
Mental. Absolutely fucking mental.
Does Call of Duty make people so crazy that it makes them want to kill actual people? I mean, CoD is OK, and addictive, and everything, but not THAT great! Jesus...

Tonz of Fun

Mar 29, 2011
What? This guy is dumb! I would have just calmed down and asked if I could get it at a discount.

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
A free upgrade or explosions?!
Well, I know what I'd choose there!
Explosi~~I mean, upgrades! Jeeves!

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Damn. I'd have just taken the Hardened Edition. In fact, from now on, I'm going to pre-order all big releases, come in at the very end of the day, throw a fit if they don't have it, and then take the free upgrade. Win-win.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
I've been to that Best Buy; I can very much relate to his general sentiment.

But in all seriousness, it looks like Fox is already putting some anti-video game spin on it:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/11/09/nationwide-violence-greets-release-new-call-duty-video-game/

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
It's the CRAZE of Advertising and Promotion that makes the idiots to MUST HAVE the game At LAUNCH!!! Last night i happened to walk into a Gamestop passing by the trash bins full of monster energy drinks and moutain dew. They were sold out of MW3, Best buy was sold out, and 4 other stores were sold out around the area. I thought to myself. Well Amazon.com could never be sold out because they stock piles millions for years and gradually increase the price as their supplies dwindle in their stock Warehouses. Example Try buying Modern Warefare 1 at Amazon.com. Buy new at $39.99! WTF? Buy used at $0.01..lol..

The Hype and false promises of greedy intentionally understocked stores, makes it partially their fault.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
LavaLampBamboo said:
Damn. I'd have just taken the Hardened Edition. In fact, from now on, I'm going to pre-order all big releases, come in at the very end of the day, throw a fit if they don't have it, and then take the free upgrade. Win-win.
He couldn't because the Hard Edition was another 5 day wait!

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
ugh... And now the anti-gaming lobbyists have even more ammunition against the industry. Every time we manage to do some good, some idiot fan has to pull something like this.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
MW3, MW3, MW3. I.dont even own the thing and im bored of it already.

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
And as the article made clear, this guy was an angry nutter with low impulse control regardless of video games. Unless those traffic violations were a product of too much Need For Speed.

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
Oh god, here comes another video game rant.

You don't see stuff like this happening because of Assassin's Creed or Skyrim do you?

It's just Modern Warfare that seems to attract the total nut jobs.

EDIT:Right guys, I didn't know going to put my opinion down was going to attract such bloody hate, I get it fine. I'M WRONG. Is that what you want to hear? I'm nt going to bother argueing with all of you? It was just a personal opinion, something half of the Escapist community can not seem to understand if it does not fit with their own.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I dunno, for Fox thats pretty restrained, especially the 'Rarely does virtual violence led to such real world violence, however.' comment at the end.

I would honestly have expected them to go for the throat a lot more than they did