Urban Beehive Brings Bees Indoors

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Urban Beehive Brings Bees Indoors

Because your house is woefully lacking in flying, stinging insects.

Electronics giant Philips wants to bring the beekeeping experience to the inner-city masses. Keeping a hive cozy inside a stack of boxes is fine if you own a farm and one of those ominous suits, but what if you live in a major metropolis yet still crave delicious honey and the warm companionship of a few million drones? "No problem," says Philips, presumably while stroking a fluffy white cat.

The firm's website explains what the eff this thing is:

The design of the beehive is unconventional, appealing, and respects the natural behavior of the bees. It consists of two parts: entry passage and flower pot outside, and glass vessel containing an array of honeycomb frames, inside. The glass shell filters light to let through the orange wavelength which bees use for sight. The frames are provided with a honeycomb texture for bees to build their wax cells on. Smoke can be released into the hive to calm the bees before it is opened, in keeping with established practice.

So it's essentially a birdhouse, except instead of a small wooden box, it's a giant glass bubble jutting through the wall of your home, and instead of a charmingly melodic family of robins, it's full of bugs that will literally murder themselves in an attempt to sting you into submission. That sounds lovely.

And why would we want to install one of these things in our breakfast nook? Again, Philips explains:

This is a sustainable, environmentally friendly product concept that has direct educational effects. The city benefits from the pollination, and humans benefit from the honey and the therapeutic value of observing these fascinating creatures in action. As global bee colonies are in decline, this design contributes to the preservation of the species and encourages the return of the urban bee.

Alright, I suppose that's a valid point. Honey is delicious and as one of our most awesome flying insects, we should do everything in our power to save bees from the mysterious extinction level event that seems to be wiping them out.

On the other hand, why does the creation of this urban beehive fall to Philips? This is a company more readily associated with DVD players than ominous, widescale entomological preservation. If Philips was going to cook up a world domination plan, I would have expected at least one moon laser.

Source: Philips [http://www.design.philips.com/philips/sites/philipsdesign/about/design/designportfolio/design_futures/design_probes/projects/microbial_home/urban_beehive.page]

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
...that's really cool. although I wouldn't be comfortable having such a large hive of bees so close to where I live.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Do want, stupid badger keeps killing my little workers under our porch :(

They dance, they work, they make life sweet.

Couldn't we all learn something from the bees? :3

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I see the beehive and I see the future. It looks like one of those odd, unidentifiable installations in many a future/ cyberpunk video game and now that I can identify it, I must have. Besides, fresh honey is always a plus! It doesn't matter if I run the risk of being stung, I have no allergy to bees so BRING THEM ON!!

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Sweet. So I can now spend several thousand euro on a device to produce irregular and unreliable amounts of the same honey that's dirt cheap in the super market? And I get to deal with bees as a bonus? Man, I cannot wait for their buzzing to keep me up at night or freak out myself and any guests.

Yeah, no. Do not want.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
I think this is just an attempt by Philips to eliminate bee allergies from the gene pool. I'm on to you Philips. Seriously, what? I mean, I can understand maybe doing something like this in the country but in an urban environment? It's all fun and games till Jimmy and his friends think it's a good idea to mess with the bees.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
This is... creative.

Yeah, that's all I can really say. It's nothing I would do in my house, mind. I don't like honey THAT much.

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:

BADGER you say? SHOTGUN I say!

Also I might love bees, but I love them away from me, doing their own thing. Like that we get on just fine.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
I'm no apiarist, but is a single flower pot sufficient for an entire swarm? If not, wouldn't hundreds if not thousands of yellow striped death machines (ok, slight exaggeration) be flying all over the place in search of food? This thing is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Not that I would go within 10km of such a contraption without wearing a full haz-mat suit and wielding a flamethrower...

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Olikunmissile said:

BADGER you say? SHOTGUN I say!

Also I might love bees, but I love them away from me, doing their own thing. Like that we get on just fine.
Don't know how aggressive Honey Bees are, but the Bumble Bees we have up in Canada are probably the most calm natured insects I have ever seen.

Nothing like Wasps, freaking mindless aggressive vermin.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Oooh, this would be an awesome installation! Bees are awesome! They make honey, have kinky sex between flowers, work as a more or less cohesive unit, and all kinds of things! How awesome is that? And to get one in my house, or off to the side? Yeah, I could live with that. Viva la Bee!

But death to the wasp. Fuck those assholes.

tendaji

Aug 15, 2008
Well it's a good thing that Honey bees do not actually sting people unless absolutely necessary, I mean they die if they lose their stinger, so I don't see how people would be afraid of being stung unless you are threatening the queen.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Well, honey bees are declining rapidly in numbers and in fact facing extinction due to urbanisation, so this is a great idea from that respect.

The first problem I can identify with this design is having to drill a hole through the outer wall of your house in order to install the thing. That's a pretty big commitment right there, and does the pipe going from outside to inside have a modifiable length? Because I live in a stone house with foot-thick walls. Ain't no flimsy 5 inch tube gonna reach through that bad boy.

Finally did anyone actually think properly about the fact that you have a sealed box full of bees in your house, and you have to open that box to get the honeycomb out of it, releasing all the bees into your home then seal the box back up, locking dozens of flying stingy things out of their nest, and sealing them in your house. How does that work?

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
I hope they don't intend for this to be implemented in the western continental united states... it occurs to me that providing more hives for Africanized killer bees to convert can only be a bad thing. Unless you're intent on being a Bond villain. Then having a hive with a kill radius of 1/2 a mile seems pretty sweet.

Metaik

Jun 18, 2010
And all it will take will be one drunken house party and *slip*, *crack* then a more painful version of Eddie Izzard's 'Covered In Bees';
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aFJCfoi8FU