Final Fantasy XIII-2's Collector's Edition Revealed

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Final Fantasy XIII-2's Collector's Edition Revealed

What will $80 buy you? How about Final Fantasy XII-2, the game's soundtrack, some snazzy artwork, and a retailer-specific bonus?

January 31st is starting to loom pretty large on the horizon, which means that Square Enix is getting serious about releasing definite details for <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIII-2-Collectors-sony-playstation3/dp/B0062VM8LU/ref=sr_tr_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320961900&sr=8-1>Final Fantasy XIII-2. The publisher has just revealed the (unsurprising) existence of the game's Collector's Edition, which is packed to the gills with all sorts of goodies that dedicated Final Fantasy fans will undoubtedly drool over.

The Collector's Edition is going to be available on both the PS3 and 360, selling for $79.99. The package will include a 4-disc official soundtrack, as well as a collection of concept art, featuring a bunch of (until now) unseen illustrations. Additionally, the bundle will come with extra bonuses, depending on which store you purchase it from:

GameStop:
? Alternate costume for Serah, visible throughout the game.

Amazon:
? Unique coliseum battle against boss enemy "Omega," who joins the player's party afterward.

Best Buy:
? FINAL FANTASY XIII -Episode i- novella, an original story that ties together the events of FINAL FANTASY XIII and FINAL FANTASY XIII-2.

As of right now, the Collector's Edition is a North America exclusive. Square Enix will presumably release something similar in other territories, but the publisher has yet to officially reveal any such plans.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Urgaaaaaaaah. I can't stand these kinds of things. If those retailer-specific bonuses were pre-order bonuses but the collector's edition came with everything, I would be like 'Okay, that's fine.' But no, this is specific to the collector's edition so any sane person can only get one instead of all three...

Well, time to go cancel my preorder at Gamestop and get it from Amazon...

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
I'd love to see that for some of the games that I might actually be willing to pay for. XIII was a terrible experience for me.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
is this the project known as "Versus 13" in the past? I never heard of a FF13-2.

Robert Roberge

Dec 14, 2010
Signa said:
is this the project known as "Versus 13" in the past? I never heard of a FF13-2.
no, I believe FFXIII Versus is someing along the lines of Dissidia for console. It a guess but thats what i figure because i have seen FFXIII versus keychains and they are tweapons of certain ff charachters like the gunblade and what not. I got Jechts sword

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Signa said:
No, Verses XIII is completely different. It stars Sasuke Uchiha some kid named Noctis who is basically Sasuke Uchiha. Also, he's a prince.

Robert Roberge said:
Signa said:
no, I believe FFXIII Versus is someing along the lines of Dissidia for console. It a guess but thats what i figure because i have seen FFXIII versus keychains and they are tweapons of certain ff charachters like the gunblade and what not. I got Jechts sword
Nooot even close, mate.

Final Fantasy XIII-2: Continuation of XIII.

Final Fantasy Verses XIII: Set in the same 'world' as XIII, but far into the future. Or past. They haven't really made it clear. It seems futuristic, though. Really has nothing to do with XIII in any way.

Final Fantasy Agito XIII: Renamed to Final Fantasy Type-0. Set between Verses and XIII, but also has basically nothing to do with the other two.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
Signa said:
No, Verses XIII is completely different. It stars Sasuke Uchiha some kid named Noctis who is basically Sasuke Uchiha. Also, he's a prince.

Robert Roberge said:
Signa said:
Nooot even close, mate.

Final Fantasy Verses XIII: Set in the same 'world' as XIII, but far into the future. Or past. They haven't really made it clear. It seems futuristic, though. Really has nothing to do with XIII in any way.

Final Fantasy Agito XIII: Renamed to Final Fantasy Type-0. Set between Verses and XIII, but also has basically nothing to do with the other two.
Ah. I'll have to correct you there. Versus XIII, like Type-0, is in no way related to XIII or XIII-2, short of the name. It's not set in the same world.

All these games are part of the "Fabula Nova Crystallis: Final Fantasy" which, while not sharing a universe, share the theme of crystals playing an important role somewhere.

There we go =)

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
LavaLampBamboo said:
Kopikatsu said:
Signa said:

Robert Roberge said:
Signa said:
Nooot even close, mate.

Ah. I'll have to correct you there. Versus XIII, like Type-0, is in no way related to XIII or XIII-2, short of the name. It's not set in the same world.

All these games are part of the "Fabula Nova Crystallis: Final Fantasy" which, while not sharing a universe, share the theme of crystals playing an important role somewhere.

There we go =)
Crystals are important in every single FF game, though. I think. Are there any that don't? (Materia count)

Aiden Raine

Oct 3, 2011
the game nobody asked for... or wanted... now coming to you with bonus content that nobody cares about!

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Aiden Raine said:
the game nobody asked for... or wanted... now coming to you with bonus content that nobody cares about!
I want it. I enjoyed 13. Just because you, and a very vocal group didn't like it, doesn't mean everyone else feels the same.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Eri said:
Aiden Raine said:
I want it. I enjoyed 13. Just because you, and a very vocal group didn't like it, doesn't mean everyone else feels the same.
Hell, I didn't even play XIII and I still want this. Especially because it looks like they're improving nearly everything that was criticized.

SergeantAnt

Feb 27, 2011
wow that actually kind of makes me mad.

so i have the choice of a costume(no), a super boss(why would this be an amazon exclusive!?!?), or a section of the story connecting the two games(WHY THE FUCK IS THIS NOT WITH THE GAME ANYWAY). seriously square i'm so fed up... looks like its time to change my profile pic :/. at least soon anyway.

how is it even fair to make gamers choose to pre order at a store when it's either a boss or a chapter. mind blown

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
SergeantAnt said:
wow that actually kind of makes me mad.

so i have the choice of a costume(no), a super boss(why would this be an amazon exclusive!?!?), or a section of the story connecting the two games(WHY THE FUCK IS THIS NOT WITH THE GAME ANYWAY). seriously square i'm so fed up... looks like its time to change my profile pic :/. at least soon anyway.

how is it even fair to make gamers choose to pre order at a store when it's either a boss or a chapter. mind blown
Actually, the section of story connecting the two games is available elsewhere. You just happen to also be able to get it as a preorder bonus.

I agree with the 'alternative costume' or 'Extra mode with super boss at the end and he joins you when you beat him', though. The feck? How is that even comparable?

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I was planning to buy the game from Amazon. It's a happy coincidence that it has the best bonus in my opinion...can't argue with more character options for combat.

Ragnarok185

Oct 14, 2011
Pre-ordered from amazon.
I AM SOOOOOOOOO excited for this game. also every person in Japan was asking for a sequel. so HA!. SE can take as long as they like with Versus otherwise it won't live up to the hype.

darknessknight1000

Sep 15, 2011
FF13 terrible, simply terrible. For me, if FF13 was another game with another name rather than of the FF franchise then I would consider it fairly good, but since its an FF game it didn't live up to its potential, crap characters like Hope and Sazch only Lightning was awesome. I'm not trying to be a hater it was an alright experience, but I was expected something very different, something like FF12 or even FF10 cause I really hate active turn based Final fantasy games. Here's hoping Versus 13 will be good, better be, i'm losing a lot of respect for square enix, first the long production of FF Verus 13 and KH 3, anything else and Enix can get lost.