Two Prototype Laptops Stolen From Razer

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Two Prototype Laptops Stolen From Razer

Looks like Razer needs ... wait for it ... sharper security. Someone ruffians have broken into their San Francisco Bay Area R&D labs and stolen two of their prototype gaming laptop hybrids.

According to Razer's Facebook page [https://www.facebook.com/razer/posts/10150543283337576], the two Razer Blade prototypes [http://www.razerzone.com/blade] were nicked earlier in the month and Razer respectfully asks that you don't buy one of them should some criminal-type offer you one from the back of his truck. That's assuming you have the cash in the first place. The current model of the Razer Blade with a 17" screen retails for just shy of three grand.

From the Facebook post:
As you can imagine, the return of these prototype units is very important to the company. We have already reported this to the authorities who are working closely with us on this matter.

We take this act of theft seriously and would like to appeal for its return and discourage anyone from buying the Razer Blade prototypes from the perpetrators, whether online or otherwise, as they are stolen property.
Razer is currently appealing for any information regarding the stolen prototypes, you can email them at [email protected] to negotiate your terms.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
Actually, what I find more interesting is that a laptop was developed just for gaming- how cool is that.
No offense, but have you heard of Alienware? They've kind of got a good reputation for putting out dedicated gaming laptops.

OT: I didn't even know Razer made laptops. Hopefully they can get them back an prosecute this guy, though. I'm interested in seeing this kind of tech, but not when it's in criminal hands.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
I've never really understood "gaming" laptops. I guess the idea of playing in a public place doesn't really feel right to me. Otherwise, if you're only playing at home why not get a more versatile desktop? Maybe if you were huge into lan parties, it might be worth it.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
All I heard was there might be a prototype laptop worth 3k out there I could get for probably a lot less provided those guys don't read news...

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
The Blade? Those two must be so happy right now. I mean....damn. I wish I could afford a MOUSE from Razer.

WickedFire

Apr 25, 2011
Dirty Apple said:
I've never really understood "gaming" laptops. I guess the idea of playing in a public place doesn't really feel right to me. Otherwise, if you're only playing at home why not get a more versatile desktop? Maybe if you were huge into lan parties, it might be worth it.
Gaming laptops are incredibly useful if you're a student. It allows you to easily take it into Uni when needed. And you can still play games when you visit home, which is better than dragging a desktop if you want to play on anything.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I dont know anything about this, I was no where near San Francisco just after 8 the other night.

---------------------------------
Message sent from my Razer Blade.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
TLS14 said:
Caramel Frappe said:
Actually, what I find more interesting is that a laptop was developed just for gaming- how cool is that.
No offense, but have you heard of Alienware? They've kind of got a good reputation for putting out dedicated gaming laptops.

OT: I didn't even know Razer made laptops. Hopefully they can get them back an prosecute this guy, though. I'm interested in seeing this kind of tech, but not when it's in criminal hands.
Alienware computers are ridiculously expensive, though.

Then again, if this prototype is $3,000...

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Dirty Apple said:
I've got a gaming laptop. Mostly the choice was because I didn't want to drop another grand to upgrade to a desktop, but your right; it's mostly cause of LAN parties. My friends are big into small LAN parties, but it's mostly console-based and the only games we all have in common are CoD, Halo, and L4D. After we exhaust those games we normally move on to playing our own games for a bit. Moving a desktop over to a friend's house twice a month... yeah a laptop is better.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
So pretty.......*sigh*

OT now: Bad criminals! Give Razer those laptops back! Although, I can see why they wouldn't sell it...*drool*

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Look on the bright side. At least these weren't left in a bar by some idiot.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
WickedFire said:
Gaming laptops are incredibly useful if you're a student. It allows you to easily take it into Uni when needed. And you can still play games when you visit home, which is better than dragging a desktop if you want to play on anything.
When I went to university, the trend of taking laptops into class for note taking was just starting. It was the good old pen and paper for me. At least it was when I got off my lazy ass and actually took some notes.

kael013 said:
I've got a gaming laptop. Mostly the choice was because I didn't want to drop another grand to upgrade to a desktop, but your right; it's mostly cause of LAN parties. My friends are big into small LAN parties, but it's mostly console-based and the only games we all have in common are CoD, Halo, and L4D. After we exhaust those games we normally move on to playing our own games for a bit. Moving a desktop over to a friend's house twice a month... yeah a laptop is better.
I've only participated in one lan party in my life. It was a glorious all nighter of Dungeon Siege when it was the newest shiny toy on the block. And, you're right if ease of transport had been an option for me, I probably would have gone to more.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
Well, I can already see that with the recent crimes dealing with MW3, there won't be a good impression on gamers with these scheme too.
So piracy makes people with MP3 players look bad?

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Grey Carter said:
Looks like Razer needs ... wait for it ... sharper security [http://mirrors.rit.edu/instantCSI/].

Fixed that for you, Grey.

Anyone else getting that "Apple-accidentally-leaving-prototypes-in-a-bar" vibe?

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Caramel Frappe said:
ElPatron said:
Caramel Frappe said:
Well, I can already see that with the recent crimes dealing with MW3, there won't be a good impression on gamers with these scheme too.
So piracy makes people with MP3 players look bad?
Sadly, it sort of does. That's why it's illegal to do piracy for music, games, or movies (...)

So piracy is illegal because it makes people look bad... Are we on the same wavelength?

Yet, those who stole the actual laptops are bad because those materials where physical, they weren't open to the public which was true theft. Piracy may be bad, but stealing actual products and devices are far worse in the public eyes to address it as an issue.

okay, we are definitely not on the same wavelength... Where did I address the issue of whether or not "piracy is stealing" or "the stealing of a physical object is just like stealing"?

I actually own an MP3 and try to download songs legally from my friend's CDs but sometimes songs aren't available in stores that I want so I sometimes search on Google for individual songs. I shouldn't do that, but least I limit how much I get from the websites.

Get off your moral high horse so I can steal it.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Man, 3 grand for a laptop. Ugh. I just built a PC for a guy with an i7 2600k, GTX 590, Asus Maximus Extreme-Z, 16 gigs RAM... for less than that.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Right...
I guess this sucks... but it turns out online security isn't the only thing in need of an upgrade.