Say Hello to Baby Dovahkiin

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Say Hello to Baby Dovahkiin

A couple of die-hard Elder Scrolls fans have claimed the prize in Bethesda's "Name Your Baby Dovahkiin" challenge.

You might recall that back in February, Bethesda put forth an awesome challenge [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107977-Bethesda-Ups-Ante-in-Elder-Scrolls-Baby-Naming-Contest] with an awesome prize: anyone who had a child born on November 11, 2011, and who named that child "Dovahkiin," which means "Dragonborn" in Skyrim's draconic language, would be given Steam keys for every game Bethesda has ever made [limited to those available through Steam, naturally] and, even cooler, for every game Bethesda ever makes in the future. That's a pretty sweet prize for something as simple as saddling your kid with the worst name since Sue [or possibly Obi-Wan] and sure enough, somebody's laid claim to it.

Megan and Eric Kellermeyer revealed on their webcomic site 56shards.com [http://www.56shards.com/2011/11/12/an-expected-arrival/] and also through official documents sent to Bethesda the birth of Dovahkiin Tom Kellermeyer, who came into this world at 6:08 pm on 11/11/11 at a healthy 8.5 pounds and 19.5 inches. "Mama and baby are doing perfect. The doctor said it was a perfect delivery," Eric wrote. "Our daughter Kyari is very excited to have a baby brother."

Congratulations to the proud parents and best of luck to little Dovahkiin, too. Here's hoping you grow up to thank your parents for the gravel in your guts and the spit in your eye, and if that doesn't work out, you can always fall back on Tom.

Source: Bethesda Blog [http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/11/16/dragonborn/]

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Ahhhh yes. I was wondering if anyone would claim this reward.

Well kid, all I can say is "Good luck, you're gonna need it"

albinoterrorist

Jan 1, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Luckiest.
Child.
Ever.
I'm so jealous.
Yeah, the bullying as a kid and the weird looks whenever he does anything official (job appliactions, legal documents, passport control, bank accounts, etc.) for the rest of his life is really gonna be a whale of a time.

Why make his first name Dovahkiin?
It was just to name the kid it. Not necessarily the first name. You could have made any of his middle names it..

But now, he is Dovahkiin.
Thanks alot, mom and dad.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Wow, someone actually did this, I wonder if they'll change his name once they get the rewards?

Edit: Also if that picture is to be believed the parents have two copies of Skyrim, one for PC and one for Xbox 360, excessive much?

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Honestly given some of the names I've seen popping up in the last 5 or so years for kids, this isn't so bad.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Considering their other child is named Kyari - this isn't too much of a step up. Can easily be shortened to Dova as well.

Although, what really surprises me is the boy's middle name. Tom. Dovahkiin Tom Kellermeyer. How out of place does that seem?

Seeing as they've got a website, I can imagine this will generate a lot of extra traffic - and therefore I see no inherent difference between this and the parents that force their kids into early acting 'careers' etc for monetary gain. Both exploitation, with both having some degree of negative impact on the child's well being.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Well, everyone is going to call him Tom anyway, so it's not this much of a deal. And if someone sees that his first name is Dovahkiin they'll just think it's Russian.

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
Woodsey said:
6_Qubed said:
I wonder what "Dovahkiin" would shorten out to.

My guess is "Keen."
My guess is 18 years of being bullied.
Well yeah, obviously. But kids are vicious little fuckers. If they couldn't find some clever angle to make fun of his name, they'd just call him "******" or something.

May 5, 2010
Wow, what a great deal! Every Bethesda game ever made, for free, and all you have to give up in return is YOUR CHILD'S LOVE AND RESPECT.

If I were that kid, I'd probably just tell people I was named after my German grandfather. Assuming he doesn't live anywhere near Germany. Actual Germans probably wouldn't fall for it.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
I don't think this will be such a big deal for the kid. Today, there's atleast three kids in every class with a "weird" name, atleast where I live. And there is such a thing as a name-change, if worse comes to worse.