South Park Renewed Until 2016

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
South Park Renewed Until 2016

Comedy Central hired Trey Parker and Matt Stone for three more seasons.

In a smoke-filled dorm room in 1996, a kid with a moustache held up an unmarked VHS cassette in front of me. "Have you seen The Spirit of Christmas?" he asked urgently and snorted with incredulity when I shook my head. We then watched possibly the funniest 5 minutes of animation I've ever seen. When South Park debuted a year later on Comedy Central, I felt like I was in on the joke. How could they let this on cable TV? Nearly 15 seasons and a feature film later, South Park is still produced almost entirely by Trey Parker and Matt Stone. And now they will be able to continue making the show until 2016.

"The collective genius of Matt and Trey knows no bounds," said the president of Comedy Central in a statement. "Week after week and season after season they continue to surprise and delight South Park fans, and that includes all of us here at Comedy Central. We're thrilled that the adventures of Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman will continue through 2016."

The two collaborators paid lip service to their overlords. "Comedy Central has been our home for 15 years and we love working there," said Parker and Stone, hopefully simultaneously in character voices. "South Park is a blast and we can't wait to make more."

I can't say that I watch every episode anymore, but I'm always impressed that Parker and Stone can write and produce a show that skewers current events so expertly. Watching the documentary 6 Days to Air on how they actually make the show [http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/southpark-documentary-trailer] is pretty damn amazing.

Source: Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/south-park-trey-parker-matt-stone-262355?]

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
So the brilliant "You're getting old" [http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s15e07-youre-getting-old] episode was just one elaborate trolling exercise?

Well played Matt & Trey, well fucking played.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Yuck, why do all the shows I lose interest in or actively dislike get renewed endlessly, while the ones i like seldom make it past series 2?

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
I foresee a slew of "BAWWW it should have died at series x!" type posts coming this way.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
Amazingly enough, South Park has managed to remain at more or less the same level of quality for all these years, so this renewal is deserved. Still, I hope that when the show has run its course, it's allowed to end with dignity like KOTH, rather than being stretched out awkwardly like The Simpsons has been.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Quellist said:
Yuck, why do all the shows I lose interest in or actively dislike get renewed endlessly, while the ones i like seldom make it past series 2?
i would make a comment about poor taste here, but.... this is south park hahaha, and my argument would be invalid by default.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
uppitycracker said:
Quellist said:
i would make a comment about poor taste here, but.... this is south park hahaha, and my argument would be invalid by default.
Heh, oh i used to love the show, then i just liked it, then i got bored with it. When i wrote 'actively dislike' i actually had the Simpsons in mind

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
When will people learn. South Park passed it's prime 3 years ago. Let it die. But big business can't stop from milking the cow till it's dead.

Though I don't watch the show, so I could care less I guess.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Quellist said:
uppitycracker said:
Quellist said:
Heh, oh i used to love the show, then i just liked it, then i got bored with it. When i wrote 'actively dislike' i actually had the Simpsons in mind
i feel the exact same way, about both shows. south park still has a golden episode every now and then, but yeah, i'm in the bored boat now for the most part.

THEfog101

Apr 18, 2009
I Love it, been watching it since day one and although some jokes are getting old and the series is getting a little long in the tooth its still genuinely funny and one of the few shows out there game enough to ridicule and make known in a comedic manner such issues that plague our world. In other words....STILL FUNNY.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Quellist said:
beats the other shows comedy central regularly airs. If they don't buy a syndicated show from some other network they usually resort to making there own show and. Well. They aren't great. That and they have just the worst taste in movies.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The current series has hardly been amazing, but I certainly don't think its ready to die yet.

The problem with having a backlog of several hundred episodes is that all the good shit in those series gets mashed together in a magic pot.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Tiger Sora said:
When will people learn. South Park passed it's prime 3 years ago. Let it die. But big business can't stop from milking the cow till it's dead.

Though I don't watch the show, so I could care less I guess.
It's prime was season 8. But still the series remains hilarious, there are some lamer eps granted but this season has given us the human centipad, city sushi and 1%, the first being one that I think will become a classic.

I'm extremely happy to hear the series is continuing, with Simpsons going up and down, Family guy being as shit as usual and shows like Metalocalypse, Aqua Teen and Archer having large gaps between series, having more Southpark to fill the animated comedy void sounds rather good to me.

Sep 14, 2009
sounds good to me, possibly more of something i enjoy? yes please.

better off that than leaving it to never be touched/gone on again (such as firefly...)

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Meh...lets hope those seasons arent as bad as this one...since its already rather bland or beating a dead horse...

Dooly95

Jun 13, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
Wow. UI don't know how, but I think there will be someway that they will manage to make it to 19 seasons without actually giving 2 of their four main characters any personality.

I cannot be the only one who keeps noticing this. Stan and Kyle are virtually without traits and, if it weren't for Kyle being jewish, all their lines could be swapped with no impact.
Huh. I was thinking Kenny and Stan. But then they kinda gave him something in that "You're getting old" episode.