Sega Acquires Puzzle Pirates & Doctor Who MMO Developer

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Sega Acquires Puzzle Pirates & Doctor Who MMO Developer

Three Rings Design joins the Sega "family" of development studios.

News Flash! Online games sell like electronic hotcakes! While that may seem like old news, the venerable videogame publisher Sega [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/misc/8600-Sega-Timeline] is finally diversifying into the massively multiplayer space with its acquisition of Three Rings Design. The San Francisco-based studio is most famous for the family-friendly MMO Puzzle Pirates and last year's critical success Spiral Knights - winner of 2011 Game Developers Choice Online Award for Best Online Game. Three Rings is also developing an MMO based on Doctor Who, all of which makes the studio an attractive property for Sega .

"We knew from the first time we saw Spiral Knights that the team at Three Rings was not simply talented but truly unique, and the close bond we have formed with them over the past year has only solidified that impression," said Haruki Satomi from Sega. "We are proud to welcome them as the newest member of the Sega family, and look forward to seeing what great things we can create together over the coming years."

For Three Rings CEO Daniel James, it is exciting to be a part of Sega's portfolio. "We are very fortunate to have found a company like Sega that both respects our identity and shares our passion for developing engaging and quality games," he said. "We are honored to be joining such a legendary team and look forward to collaborating on amazing ideas together."

The influx in publisher cash probably doesn't hurt, either, I'm sure. Joking aside, I think that this is a great deal for both companies. Sega gets a premiere family-friendly MMO studio to join its other subsidiaries Creative Assembly (Total War) and Sports Interactive (Football Manager). Three Rings no longer has to worry about a lack of resources as it takes on more and more ambitious projects. I call that a win-win.

Now, let's hope the Doctor Who game doesn't end up like Shadow the Hedgehog.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I hereby claim all related rings and Sonic jokes in the name of the lunar republic.

Anyway, let's hope they don't run this ship into the ground...Spiral Knights can't take any more drama.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
An... an MMO based on Doctor Who? What? When was that announced? How did I miss it?

I mean, I like Puzzle Pirates and Spiral Knights, but... wow.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I still don't get what's so bad about the Shadow game, I happened to enjoy it.

Also how would a Doctor Who MMO, I'm MMO where players are traveling through time would be pretty interesting.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Considering i love three rings' lead artist i've nothing but high hopes for at least the artistic approach of the doctor who mmo.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
I'm surprised Puzzle Pirates isn't dead yet. Seriously how has facebook not made it obsolete?