Cloudy With a Chance of Galactus

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Cloudy With a Chance of Galactus

Sometimes, bad remakes happen to good characters.

Read Full Article

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
But when he appeared in the execrable Fantastic Four: Rise of The Silver Surfer, it was decided that a giant humanoid space god was a little too silly to try and realize onscreen. You will please take note that the film's title character is a naked silver-skinned man who travels on a flying surfboard.
If I had known it was specifically for that reason, I would have been laughing for exactly THIS reason. That and the fact that the movie has the Four switching powers in horribly "comic" moments.

When I saw the cloud, I was hoping it was a "V'ger" thing. Like, Galactus was at the center of the cloud like a center of gooey, cosmic, planet-eating goodness.

GUESS NOT!

Chebs

Jan 14, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
When I saw the cloud, I was hoping it was a "V'ger" thing. Like, Galactus was at the center of the cloud like a center of gooey, cosmic, planet-eating goodness.

GUESS NOT!
That's what I thought too, but it's been a really long time since I saw it. I remember hearing that they didn't want to blow Galactus's badass reveal in the second FF4 movie because he was supposed to appear in another movie where they wanted to showcase him that wound up never happening.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Actually, the American Godzilla did breath fire. In two scenes. But they went by so fast that I'm not surprised you missed them. Also, one of them the directing of the shot is so bad that you can only figure out that it was breathing fire by realizing its the only place the fire could have come from.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Bob, the constant nitpicking and bitching about how Nolan's Batman doesn't use the sillier elements or how the Batsuit has the common sense to be made of Kevlar became annoying MONTHS ago. Stop it, you're just sounding childish now.

Besides that, this article is quite amusing. My favorite is remembering how 'Zilla got backhanded in Final Wars.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
Transformers and Batman don't deserve to be on this list, Godzilla is 50/50 depending on your take on it, die hard fan or not. Everything else does. I'd love to see Bob's artist renditions of how all this SHOULD have looked, but I doubt we'll get that. Just a whine list.

But it is good to see Bob still bitches about the little things and makes himself look like a clown doing it. Stopped watching his videos months ago and now I'll stop reading his whine articles too.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
So Bob's reason for hating the American Godzilla movie was the same as James Rolfe's; they took away everything that made Godzilla... well, Godzilla.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
RJ Dalton said:
Actually, the American Godzilla did breath fire. In two scenes. But they went by so fast that I'm not surprised you missed them. Also, one of them the directing of the shot is so bad that you can only figure out that it was breathing fire by realizing its the only place the fire could have come from.
He actually doesn't, is the thing.

When they were putting the movie together, American Godzilla wasn't going to breathe fire - just blow things over very hard. This got out to fans and caused a ruckus (early days of the internet) so they added two bits where something else explodes in front of his face and gets blown-out by his exhaling, so it would look like he was breathing fire for the trailers.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
MovieBob said:

When they were putting the movie together, American Godzilla wasn't going to breathe fire - just blow things over very hard. This got out to fans and caused a ruckus (early days of the internet) so they added two bits where something else explodes in front of his face and gets blown-out by his exhaling, so it would look like he was breathing fire for the trailers.
. . .

That has got to be the second biggest and most offensive sort of cop-out I've seen in a movie since the Disney Death trope. I need to take a shower now, that's how dirty the thought that I watched this movie makes me feel right now.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
I remember in the Chin Li film, Bison is having an evil moment and shortly before he kills someone he says "even milk sometimes goes sour" I remember laughing my arse off with my housemates for like ten minutes. Even? EVEN? pretty much all milk is known for is going sour, classic stuff.

That movie is definatly so bad its good

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
MovieBob said:
RJ Dalton said:

Ninja'd.

TDK's batsuit was bad, but nowhere nearly as bad as The Batnipple suit. But you have to remember that Nolan made his Batman movies with a closer grounding in realism (a tank that can perform a rampless jump notwithstanding), so full body armour as a first iteration does kinda make sense, in the second movie it was more streamlined. Perhaps in the third it will be closer to what is shown in the comics.

SamElliot'sMustache

Oct 5, 2009
The Dark Knight's Batsuit is not even close to the worst outfit in the movies (and in the film, I distinctly remember him doing rolls and twists in that suit that you definitely don't see happening in any of the other Batman films, so your line about how he can "only move his head" is a bit perplexing). Monochromatic and dull, sure, but not the worst. That honor goes to the black-and-silver one George Clooney wore.

Godzilla, I could see the line of thought for the redesign, to make him faster and more agile (and thus make faster-paced action scenes), but they went too far into turning Godzilla into just a giant dinosaur on the loose.

The rest are spot on, though this article seems a bit...random.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Boring. Anyone can rip apart a movie re-design they don't like, all you need to do is find a movie adaptation where something looks drastically different than it did in the source material and shout "that looks nothing like it's supposed to look!". It's got to be near the top of the list of things the Internet loves to complain about, somewhere between brown shooters and religion.

It would be much more interesting to see you list six re-designs that were actually good. Or better yet, six cases where it was completely inappropriate to keep the look of the source material.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Littaly said:
Boring. Anyone can rip apart a movie re-design they don't like, all you need to do is find a movie adaptation where something looks drastically different than it did in the source material and shout "that looks nothing like it's supposed to look!". It's got to be near the top of the list of things the Internet loves to complain about, somewhere between brown shooters and religion.

It would be much more interesting to see you list six re-designs that were actually good. Or better yet, six cases where it was completely inappropriate to keep the look of the source material.
Clue, Father of the Bride, Scarface, The Departed, The Thing, X-men First Class, Captain America, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Crow, Sin City, Thor, Watchmen, Under the Red Hood, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, The Adams Family, The Shining, The Patriots Game, Apollo 13, Field of Dreams, Forrest Gump, Psycho, Transformers the Movie, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, The Green Mile, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Harry Potter, Silence of the Lambs, Secrets of Nimh, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Princess Bride, Hunt for the Red October, Lord of the Rings, Shawshank redemption.

Yellow Journalist

Jun 16, 2011
artanis_neravar said:
Littaly said:

Clue, Father of the Bride, Scarface, The Departed, The Thing, X-men First Class, Captain America, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Crow, Sin City, Thor, Watchmen, Under the Red Hood, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, The Adams Family, The Shining, The Patriots Game, Apollo 13, Field of Dreams, Forrest Gump, Psycho, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, The Green Mile, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Harry Potter, Silence of the Lambs, Secrets of Nimh, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Princess Bride, Hunt for the Red October, Lord of the Rings, Shawshank redemption.
Nope. Littaly was asking for aesthetic redesigns. Let's parse that:

aesthetic - relating to the surface appearance of things, in this context referring to the "look" of a character or environment.

redesign - changing minor or significant aspects of said characteter or environment.

You responded with a list of well-regarded adaptations. It's possible that some actually have aesthetic redesigns - I'm not familiar with all of them - but the vast majority don't qualify. Silence of the Lambs, for example, is an adaptation of a novel to a movie - aesthetics don't even enter the picture as prose is not a visual medium. Aesthetics play a role in Sin City's success, but that picture is noteworthy for its FIDELITY to Frank Miller's original vision, rather than for any imaginative changes.

Have to agree with Littaly's point on this one - I read/watch MovieBob's stuff every week because he's an *intelligent* fanboy, but in this case he seems to have given in to his baser instincts.

Also, don't knock the (DKR) batsuit.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Yellow Journalist said:
artanis_neravar said:
Littaly said:

Clue, Father of the Bride, Scarface, The Departed, The Thing, X-men First Class, Captain America, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Crow, Sin City, Thor, Watchmen, Under the Red Hood, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World, The Adams Family, The Shining, The Patriots Game, Apollo 13, Field of Dreams, Forrest Gump, Psycho, Transformers the Movie, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, The Green Mile, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Harry Potter, Silence of the Lambs, Secrets of Nimh, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Princess Bride, Hunt for the Red October, Lord of the Rings, Shawshank redemption.
Nope. Littaly was asking for aesthetic redesigns. Let's parse that:

aesthetic - relating to the surface appearance of things, in this context referring to the "look" of a character or environment.

redesign - changing minor or significant aspects of said characteter or environment.

You responded with a list of well-regarded adaptations. It's possible that some actually have aesthetic redesigns - I'm not familiar with all of them - but the vast majority don't qualify. Silence of the Lambs, for example, is an adaptation of a novel to a movie - aesthetics don't even enter the picture as prose is not a visual medium. Aesthetics play a role in Sin City's success, but that picture is noteworthy for its FIDELITY to Frank Miller's original vision, rather than for any imaginative changes.

Have to agree with Littaly's point on this one - I read/watch MovieBob's stuff every week because he's an *intelligent* fanboy, but in this case he seems to have given in to his baser instincts.

Also, don't knock the (DKR) batsuit.
"When translating a property - be it a book, comic, game, TV show or even older movie - into a brand-spanking-new movie, one inevitably runs into some essential asset of said property that proves especially difficult to translate into present-day live action and may require a more radical overhaul than some other assets. Sometimes this approach will work, other times it won't." That's how Movie Bob started off his column. That's what he listed his 6 movies based on and that is what I listed my movies based on.

Clue - Went from a board game to a mini choose your own adventure movie,
X-men First Class - Changed the look and back story of the X-men from the previous movies,
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - made them more "realistic" and flawed
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World - Changed the personality of Scott, along with the entire ending of the movie
The Green Mile - altered the plot in several places
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - altered the ending of the movie
Lord of the Rings - Changed several factors, and removed some portions of the book
Transformers: The Movie - added several new characters, as well as introducing triple changers and killing off a large portion of the cast.

Just to focus on the ones that I am more familiar with

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
Once again, I'm depressed by Movie Bob's fanboyism. (My previous ones have been him calling a large slew of the Marvel movies good because they have a bunch of discreet nods and winks only a comic book fan would understand). Bob is outraged whenever something doesn't look like it should, regardless of whether or not that original look is completely ridiculous.

None of the Batman movies have tried to replicate the batman costume because no one wants to run around in fucking gray spandex and black underwear. There's a reason everyone goes to watch Batman and not Superman.

They changed Godzilla because the original model had stopped looking cool around the time everyone had reached the age of 10. I imagine the producers said to themselves, "gee, we could have a giant green lizard with a fat ass and what looks like down syndrome, or we could use this magic technology called CGI to create something that actually looks like it would be a fearsome predator."

They definitely should've gotten a bigger actor than the slight-framed fellow. But once again, they damn sure didn't need to keep the original M. Bison costume. The only villains that wear capes are named Snidely Whiplash. And the only reason M. Bison should be dressed as if he's a Latin American dictator is if he IS a Latin American dictator.

Galactus is the worst offender. The comic image is a giant man with what looks like hollowed out sedan sitting on his head. Every time I see pictures of him I can only think, "WHY?" Why is this impossibly gargantuan and powerful super being even bothering to wear clothes? And where the hell did he even find these clothes? This thing is bigger than a planet, who made the goddamn clothes for him? And why does he wear a friggin' helmet. What possible sort of protection could it be for him? Never mind that a giant man "walking" through space to pick Earth up out of it's orbit and bite into it like an apple would look completely retarded (not to mention that even if you do stop, what do you do now that Earth's out of orbit?). Just answer me why the hell a giant, immortal, planet-eating god of unlimited power justifies needing fucking armor.

TL,DR: Sometimes the way things originally look would look pretty stupid in today's world.