Torchlight II Delayed, Runic Says Play Skyrim Instead

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Torchlight II Delayed, Runic Says Play Skyrim Instead

Runic Games wants to make sure the game is as awesome as it could be.

The first Torchlight filled a niche that PC gamers had been craving since the last Diablo game came out. Torchlight was a surprise hit, but Runic Games was aware of all the glitches and bugs that made it through to release. Now that Torchlight II has the buzz and money behind it - not to mention the specter of Diablo III looming - Runic Games cofounder and CEO Travis Baldree says he wants to make sure the sequel is as polished as possible. Plus, he knows we're all playing Skyrim anyway ...

"The first Torchlightwas released in record time, but it had plenty of issues that a little more development could have resolved. We didn't have the resources at the time to give Torchlight that treatment," Baldree said.

"Right at this moment though, we do have those resources for the sequel, and we feel strongly that we should apply them to make this the best game we can make and hopefully one that you'll enjoy and continue to want to play in the future," he continued.

Baldree didn't say when Torchlight II would be out, but he did say that they were almost there and planned a beta before release. "The amount of time we need to take it the rest of the way is relatively small."

The crowded videogame release schedule might have had something to do with Baldree's decision to delay Torchlight II. "Besides, you're all playing Skyrim right now anyway, aren't you? Or Battlefield 3? Or Uncharted 3? Or Saints Row 3? Or Arkham City? Or Skyward Sword? Or Minecraft? Or Modern Warfare 3? Or Dark Souls? Or Assassin's Creed: Revelations?

"Those are awesome games. When Torchlight II goes live, we want it to be awesome too - all the way through," he said.

I can't argue with that.

Source: Runic Games [http://www.torchlight2game.com/news/2011/11/17/an-update-from-travis-baldree/]

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
You've got to love it when a developer puts politics to one side and just gives the thumbs up to the sterling work everybody else is doing.

If only more studios followed suit, then the gaming world would be a better place.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
Kmadden2004 said:
You've got to love it when a developer puts politics to one side and just gives the thumbs up to the sterling work everybody else is doing.

If only more studios followed suit, then the gaming world would be a better place.
If only more fans would do that as well, then the gaming world would be a betterer place.

Sadly, that will never happen.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
It's nice to see them admitting

"The game isn't quite finished, let us do a bit more work on it, enjoy the other awesome games you have anyway, and when you are done, BAM! Torchlight 2."

I love you, Runic Games =)

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Madmanonfire said:
Kmadden2004 said:

If only more fans would do that as well, then the gaming world would be a betterer place.

Sadly, that will never happen.
True, true.

The modern fanboy; trapped in the schoolyard mentality.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
I really like this. They're putting care into their game and they're acknowledging awesome other games that fans can play in the meantime. And he is right. The amount of new games you can buy right now is insane.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
At first I read the title as "Torchlight II Delayer - Runic Plays Skyrim Instead" and I thought "...fair enough."

targren

May 13, 2009
I tried Skyrim... didn't cut it. This news saddens me greatly.

I hope GoG has something great on sale this weekend...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Greg Tito said:
"Besides, you're all playing Skyrim right now anyway, aren't you? Or Battlefield 3? Or Uncharted 3? Or Saints Row 3? Or Arkham City? Or Skyward Sword? Or Minecraft? Or Modern Warfare 3? Or Dark Souls? Or Assassin's Creed: Revelations?
I like this. It's a not-so-subtle nod of respect to other developers as well as a (as I read it) light-hearted dig at the publishers for all releasing their games around the same time.

Which is kinda silly by the way. We only have so much time and money to spend guys!

Good to see they're putting real effort into polishing Torchlight The Second though.

GrindBass

Jun 7, 2009
So did one of the devs die then? :p

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/113759-Torchlight-II-Scheduled-For-Release-Unless-Someone-Dies

Not that I'm complaining. More polish is always a good thing

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Good News: You're not in the current christmas rush.
Bad News: The further you are away from Diablo III the better.

I know some people are going to be boycotting D3 and won't care, but let's be honest for the overall sales picture.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Wuggy said:
At first I read the title as "Torchlight II Delayer - Runic Plays Skyrim Instead" and I thought "...fair enough."
Same.
Either way, 's'all good Runic, just add a bit more variety and maybe I'll finish the game this time.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
That'd be Saints Row 3, my good man.
And oh boy, is it good!!! :)

Hurry up with this game anyway!

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
Ugh, first D3 and now this *sigh*

When I heard D3 was not happening this year after all I figured I'd at least have Torchlight 2 to play till it did come out.

Now it looks like that isn't going to happen this year either. Yes, I'm playing Skyrim to death. Yes, I played Dark souls to death as well. Both of those games won't hold a candle to how long I'll play Torchlight 2 (or Diablo 3) at least if they are nearly as good as their predecessors.

I just wanted one good action RPG this year (I guess Bastion could kinda count...but it doesn't have the replayability I like).

I understand waiting till you have your product ready to ship, and respect it. But that does not stop me from feeling let down, especially when previous messages said it would release unless on of the employees basically died!!!

So who died?

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Looking at that screenshot, I thought it was a completely different game... and now I realize that Dota 2 has more or less stolen Torchlight 2's art direction. Oh well.

I'm looking forward to this AND D3.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I wonder if Skyrims release has anything to do with it... I know how it is when a new game gets released and the entire dev team falls mysteriously ill.

Well I hope you guys beat it quickly, cuz we would really like to see Torchlight someday :p

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
As long as Diablo III's release window is dodged I can see this paying off. Although 2012 begin looks crowded as well.

At the moment there doesn't really seem to be a safe time to bring out a game. Torchlight II is a member of a niche genre - and it's downloadable content. I don't think the same rules apply...

Daemonate

Jun 7, 2010
Um, yes guys, except...if you are too slow and D3 makes it out first, you're fucked.
Bugs or no bugs, you better ship MONTHS before D3.