GameStop Reports Lower Than Expected New Software Sales

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
GameStop Reports Lower Than Expected New Software Sales

Gamestop reported lower-than-expected sales of new software for its third quarter of the year, but its digital business continues to grow by leaps and bounds.

Okay gang, let's all take a minute to feel bad for GameStop [http://www.gamestop.com], which reported total sales for the third quarter of 2011 of $1.95 billion, just a 2.5 percent increase over the $1.90 billion reported over the same period last year. Comparable store sales were actually down 0.6 percent, mainly as a result of lower-than-expected new software sales.

Digital sales continue to boom, however, jumping 51 percent for the PC market and 63 percent for consoles. Preowned game sales were up by 3.1 percent, while new sales increased 4.8 percent. The top selling games for the quarter were Gears of War 3, Battlefield 3, Madden NFL 12, Batman: Arkham City and Dead Island.

"In the third quarter, GameStop outperformed the market and continued to execute against the long-term strategic plan through additional investments in digital and emerging businesses," GameStop CEO Paul Raines said. "As we begin the fourth quarter, the strong sell-through of November new title releases indicates a good start to the holiday season."

And that's that for what is surely the hottest news of the day. What's it all mean? Digital is the future but retail remains relevant, and you can't read too much into a flat third quarter with a top-five lineup like that. The holiday quarter, which will include Modern Warfare 3, Skyrim and Assassin's Creed: Revelations, will be a far more telling and presumably upbeat indicator of the company's fortunes. Stay tuned for the next exciting update!

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Eh, retail is pretty much here to stay for a while.

Look at The Witcher 2. PC game published by a digital distribution service and had barely any ads except for the ones on the web. And yet it sold around 300k copies digitally on Steam, GoG, GG etc, and 700k on retail.

You never know.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Ooooohhh nooooo~

I'm so, so torn up over this.

Oh wait...

I don't have any huge problems with GameStop. I got my Collector's Edition of Starcraft II from them at a decent price and got into the beta... but I can't think of any other game I've ever bought from them. It seems like too much trouble for its worth.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Brandon Cecil said:
..wait people still buy PC games from a retail store?
Seems like it. It surprises me every time I hear of it.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
I cannot fathom why anyone would every buy from Gamestop -- Go to Amazon! You can save like up to $15 on newly released games - why would you pay list price?

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Seems like digital sales are just the logical progression of the industry. Producers save on the cost of packaging and distribution, consumers get to stay at home and download at their convenience, it's a win win.
Of course retail will always have a place for people who occasionally want a hard copy to keep on their shelf (myself included).

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
HyenaThePirate said:
Digital sales? WHAT digital sales? I wasnt aware you could buy downloadable games from Game Stop??
They bought a digital store a long time ago from Stardock called Impulse. So now Gamestop owns Impulse and now Stardock can put their games on other stores so now Sins of a Solar Empire can be on steam and other stores. This would effect me if I didn't own Sins of a Solar Empire already though I still have no idea what im doing in that game so I can't recommend it or discourage it.

Jan 22, 2011
Aethren said:
Brandon Cecil said:
..wait people still PC games from a retail store?
When you download 6+ gb games at 150 kb/s, you'll buy retail.
fair enough but most pc games require that you use steam or "games for windows live" there are hardly any if at all games that do not require DRM service anymore.