Arkham City's Fisticuffs Are Even Better In Reality

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Arkham City's Fisticuffs Are Even Better In Reality

In which "you hit like a girl" becomes a flattering compliment.

The Thousand Pounds Action Company has returned with a clip inspired by Catwoman's combat style in the recent (and brilliant) Batman: Arkham City.

You will recall Thousand Pounds as the people behind that whole Naruto thing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.268096-These-Real-Life-Street-Fighter-Combos-Will-Smash-Your-Face] the kids are so wild about these days. In sum, they're a group of geeky martial artists and stunt people who are really, really good at filming fight scenes.

Thus, it should come as no surprise that this Arkham City clip is both faithful to its source material and really impressive. In lieu of a hyper-sexualized cat lady in fetish gear, the video stars Mickey Facchinello, and straight up, she's awesome. Don't get me wrong; I fully realize this is choreographed and odds are solid that Ms. Facchinello couldn't reliably beat down a half-dozen burly dudes in reality, but that aforementioned choreography is so good that it plants a seed of doubt that maybe, just maybe she patrols the streets at night wrecking faces.

Then again, that's not giving enough propers to the star. I won't take the expected low-road by commenting on how physically attractive she is -- every other gaming journalist likely already has that creepy angle covered -- so instead, I'll praise how fluid and focused her movements are while engaged in these faux fisticuffs. Especially in the more obviously Muay Thai-derived attacks.

Tony Jaa would be proud.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
She used the whip, Oh yeah! This cat has claws!
I won't take the expected low-road by commenting on how physically attractive she is -- every other gaming journalist likely already has that creepy angle covered --
I'd like to infiltrate her bat-cave.
Sigh.

Internet, you're the worst.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
This woman kicks arse, the choreography is really impressive, what films would people recommend to me for fights like this?

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
I don't have the game so I have no idea if they copied the sound effects from that, but the sound effects really clashed with the action for me, making me really aware I was watching something faked up.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
Its the Cat!

Now that was awesome-though carefully avoided the likelihood of running into some bloody armoured thugs with knives >_>

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Earnest Cavalli said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I won't take the expected low-road by commenting on how physically attractive she is -- every other gaming journalist likely already has that creepy angle covered --
Sigh.

You had to be expecting it after you wrote that.

Anyway, I'm amazed at the video. Looks pretty damn professional to be honest, and that one maneuver she does where it looks like the guy's arm is supposed to break made me go "DAMN THAT LOOKS PAINFUL", even if the follow-up kick was sort of wimpy-looking thanks to the angle she had to kick at.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
ritchards said:
I don't have the game so I have no idea if they copied the sound effects from that, but the sound effects really clashed with the action for me, making me really aware I was watching something faked up.
Yeah same for me. The sound effects were really cheesy. Those sound effects are only awesome if you are watching a Kung Fu movie from the 70's.

and honestly I thought the action was pretty "meh."

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Now all they need is the actual cat suit and the bat suit when they film the guy doing the hand to hand combat. Regardless as usual from that channel, it's another superb action from them!

Dominic Burchnall

Jun 13, 2011
All right, don't get me wrong on this, I absolutely loved this test. It was almost all perfect. Only bit that didn't mesh for me was at 1:01 where she jumps up and lands on the guys' thighs before the nerve strike take down. There is no way that she could do that and they wouldn't both go crashing to the ground. I'm sorry, I know it looks awesome and I know it's being petty, but having nine years martial arts experience it just feels like an immersion breaker when I see them pulling moves like that. But the rest of it: top notch.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
That's actually really impressive. Someone should hire these guys! Seriously, if they're not working on a movie set or something, they are being terribly neglected.

Earnest Cavalli said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Sigh.

The sad part is that more than a few of us are thinking it. You know it's true. You implied as much in your article. Most of us are just know better than to actually write it out.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
What's annoying is that that fight had better fight choreography than any of the actual Batman movies.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
The Madman said:
What's annoying is that that fight had better fight choreography than any of the actual Batman movies.
So true. If I ever and up directing a movie with heavy emphasis on hand to hand combat I am giving these guys a call.

Anyway, that was awesome; and yeah, I would be lying if I said I wasn't more than a little turned on...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
I love a pussy that strug-

*slap*

No! I won't say it.

OT: Haven't played Arkham City (yet), but even then its very reminiscent of Arkham Asylum - the screen shakery when she gets hit in the back was a nice touch.

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
I thought the choerography was great, the acting was cool but there was still one issue that I had with the clip. Call it a pet peeve, I can't stand the Action Girl (look it up in TV Tropes).

A chick who can beat down a pile of burly thugs with absolutely no muscle mass. That kind of chick.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
At first I was like "Oh this is stupid half of the attacks she was using wouldn't even harm a real guy."

But then I was like "holy shit she just tornado kicked that guy in the face, what is this 2009?!"