Critical Miss: The Dragonslayer

zauxz

Mar 8, 2009
Ok, now that was genuinely funny.

Good job, probably my favourite comic as of yet.

Mista Miggins

Jul 23, 2010
I think the NPCs are communists.

If one of them has a problem, the entire city will fight to the death to resolve it,

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Yeh, seems like the people who gave you a quest to go kill Uber Powerful mage number 234 seem to be willing to try to kill you, a person who could probably kill you in one shot. That is quite unrealistic, albeit funny.

OldRat

Dec 9, 2009
Heh, that was funny. I mean, I don't get the point of it (Unless it's that Skyrim NPCs can be ridiculously tough and will punch the shit out of dragons if need be, AKA the Dragonslayer horse), but that was just funny anyhow.

sordcooper

Sep 14, 2010
Skyrim, home land of the nords; where even a simple merchant who's afraid of mudcrabs will grow a pair and throw down with a dragon!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I thought the core gameplay was roughly the same.

Isn't that like saying "I hated the core gameplay in Smackdown vs Raw 2010, but I'm thoroughly engrossed in the gameplay of Smackdown vs Raw 2011?"

Insert annual football title if wrestling is too much.

Jachwe

Jul 29, 2010
Alwayd love it when a dragon appears and everyone is charging it.

btw The Elder Scrolls 3 mechanics were so much better. You could steadily feel becoming more powerful when your stats increased. Now you have to hit a mark to unlock a perk instead. Lame!

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Odd i had the same situation. I was talking to a guard who said they have retired and want to settle down. Suddenly a Dragon and he draws a battleaxe from his ass and charges the thing.

I love the dragon random encounters, make things so much intresting.. however they fuck things up when the mission is a giant battle anyway and then a dragon comes to say hello and doubles the shitstorm.

Dragons reaction to the situation:

My reaction:

[sub]I just wanted to use those reactions in something...[/sub]

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Don't any of you realise what this means?
THE NPC's.
They're evolving.

Yeah, may be Dragons now, but eventually they'll be crushing Titans and gods... while we're left to deal with the mundane boring stuff.
Like Mudcrabs.

WE'RE SCREWED!

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Dragons are weaksauce in the game >.< Yeah its great that they can spawn randomly just about EVERYWHERE, but man are they weak. Seriously Im more wary of Bears and Giants more than i am of Dragons!

Still waiting for the mod that scales the Dragons to a more appropriate level of epicness.

p.s. I once fought 2, thats right TWO dragons in the town of Dawnstar, and the only casualties was a Guard who got killed more from friendly fire, and a stray female miner who was eaten by the dragon XD

less to say Shadowmere, my huscarl, and Spectral Assassin made the fight ez pz.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
I'm assuming the reason he fears mudcrabs more than a dragon is because those mudcrabs have evolved sentience and have developed assault rifles...or he's a lazy bastard.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
I thought the core gameplay was roughly the same.

Isn't that like saying "I hated the core gameplay in Smackdown vs Raw 2010, but I'm thoroughly engrossed in the gameplay of Smackdown vs Raw 2011?"

Insert annual football title if wrestling is too much.
I have the same sentiment as mr. carter there. Its the same if you look at it from the outside, but when you play it, it just feels "better" some how.

I was very much "meh" on Oblivion too, but for whatever reason, i can't get enough of Skyrim. Mind you this is just vanilla Skyrim, i can't wait to drop some hardcore mods on it! \o/

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
OldRat said:
Heh, that was funny. I mean, I don't get the point of it (Unless it's that Skyrim NPCs can be ridiculously tough and will punch the shit out of dragons if need be, AKA the Dragonslayer horse), but that was just funny anyhow.
I haven't played the game either, but I suppose every NPC starts fighting dragons when they show up. That would be odd if a person who is afraid of mudcraps starts fighting dragons.

phlebas

Nov 10, 2009
I take your point - but I've never considered fighting to be the core gameplay of Elder Scrolls games.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
If it is anything like Fallout or the previous Elder Scroll games, the NPCs that walk around town, give you quests, and often remark on how they're too weak to do those things themselves just have a flag in their AI that says what they are hostile too. If a dragon shows up, or the player steals a breadknife and is spotted, the entire town population starts fighting with the same AI routines and animations as the biggest badass soldiers you fight with.

It's not an uncommon problem. In the new Deus Ex, you can use the takedown moves on anyone, and some of the animations involve Adam blocking high level martial arts moves from the target as part of the takedown. So you end up with wrinkly old ladies doing a roundhouse kick. Smaller groups of bandits in Mount and Blade run away from you, but if caught will try to demand gold from you in exchange for your life. And they will charge you happily on the battlemap (though later games do make them run if they are losing the battle. But they start with a spirited attack.)

Untill a dev team has so much money to blow that they create separate AI routines and animations for all kinds of NPCs, we'll be stuck with either this or NPCs that can only cower in a corner while a dragon is om-nom-noming their kids.