Pure Chess: It's Time To Get Hype

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Pure Chess: It's Time To Get Hype

A chess game? With an awesome trailer? I'm as baffled as you are.

As the name would suggest, Pure Chess is an upcoming videogame simulation of the centuries-old, cerebral board game. It's in development by the largely unknown VooFoo Studios, will be published by the equally unknown RebelPlay Ltd., and is scheduled for release on the PlayStation 3 and Sony's imminent PlayStation Vita handheld. To most gamers this nebulous pedigree would suggest a budget-priced title destined for the bargain bin.

Then you watch the trailer and suddenly, inexplicably, confusingly find yourself excited for an upcoming videogame based on a pasttime that, in most mainstream media, serves as cultural shorthand for "boring nerd."

Not that the trailer is full of bombastic action or high-stakes tension between characters -- this is still a game where you slide pawns one-space-at-a-time across a checkered board -- but it's almost Gran Turismo 5-esque in its classic aesthetic appeal. Did you see those rooks? Straight up, those were some gorgeous rooks (and I say that as a guy who considers himself purely a "bishop man").

I still don't have much faith that Pure Chess will knock Modern Warfare 3 off the top of the sales charts, but I gotta hand it to the development team. If the goal of a trailer is to convince viewers to keep an eye out for the day your game actually hits shelves, this clip is a smashing success.

Now I just hope they can find a way to nerf the Queen. That eff-bag has been OP since day one.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
...wow...
Are those in-game graphics? Those are nice!

Still, I have chess on my Palm Treo 650.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
*looks at more medieval-style pieces*

They forgot to add the kings playing with them and the intercut siege parallels.

NZpablo

G-mans Henchman
Mar 30, 2011
Did anybody notice the pawns were the same style as the opening vid from Age of Empires 2

Kyrinn

May 10, 2011
Kimarous said:

They forgot to add the kings playing with them and the intercut siege parallels.
I see what you did there, and I was thinking pretty much the same while watching this.

OT: While I find chess games to be pretty boring, this is a cool video. Chess videogames I mean, real life chess is quite enjoyable.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Why don't all chess games include saxon style pieces?
It would certainly please me more when I'm indulging in my guilty pleasure of Chess Titans.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
..Honestly, it just looks like a chess game to me. A pretty chess game, sure. There's some serious graphics there. Its a pretty chess game. But its still just a chess game.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
I have this game already.

It's back home with a layer of dust over it.

Graphics don't make a game. Perhaps if we have a good AI, a true chess enthusiast will enjoy it. But odds are, they probably already have a copy on their computer.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Unless the pieces come alive and beat the crap out of each other (Battle Chess!) I just don't care.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Kimarous said:

Darnit, ninja'd.

I am not familiar with that particular chess set - is it an historic item? A well-known design? Directly cribbed from Ensemble Studios?

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Azuaron said:
Unless the pieces come alive and beat the crap out of each other (Battle Chess!) I just don't care.
Ninja-ed.... Seconded, Battle Chess remake ftw.

Edit: Already on the way. From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Chess

"A new version of Battle Chess is currently in development by Subdued Software via a license from Interplay Entertainment. It is set for a release date of Summer 2011 for the PC and iPad/iPhone."

Now will just have to wait and see if they turn it into an FPS as they seem to be doing with most franchise remakes....

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
Azuaron said:
Proper wizarding style wizard chess, I would buy that.

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
Kimarous said:

Great one there.

The graphics looks really nice. I hope it has many different sets, so it can bring a refreshing change to the same good millenia-ol' chess.

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
I prefer to play strip Chess IRL, now that's fun!
Is it a simple piece=forfeit system, or does the point value of the captured piece come into it?

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
Now I just hope they can find a way to nerf the Queen. That eff-bag has been OP since day one.
Queen is fine, noob, nerf Bishop plox.

OT: I'm not exactly sure what they mean by "Pure" Chess. No abnormal rules? Or perhaps Tournament Rules? Hmmm.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Playstation exclusive? This is bullshit! Where will us xbox owners get our chess fix? It's not like anyone plays real life chess anymore. It's unhygienic or something.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Still doesn't look as good as battle chess.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Are they trying to sell chess, or the fantasy of being the kind of person who has nothing better to do than play chess in their gorgeous modernist seven-figure skyline apartment?