Original Voice Actors Reenter Silent Hill 2

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Original Voice Actors Reenter Silent Hill 2

After a long struggle, fans will be able to enjoy both new and original voice acting in half of the Silent Hill HD Collection.

There's no nice way to say this: Voice acting in video games used to be, generally speaking, pretty bad [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XyghKl72R0]. The inclusion of accomplished voice actors, bigger budgets, and improved sound studios means that modern games often get the best-of-the-best when it comes to characters with speaking roles. The downside, of course, is that when remakes of classic games come around, the voice track is in a precarious position. Leaving the old voices intact might make the project sound incongruous, but recording lines with new actors could be a disservice to the original cast. In the case of the Silent Hill HD Collection, it will feature the best of both worlds. Players will be able to choose between the new, remastered lines or the original ones in Silent Hill 2. Unfortunately, the producers were unable to provide the same option for Silent Hill 3, which will feature only the new voices.

The announcement came by way of the official Silent Hill HD Collection Facebook page. "We're proud to announce that Silent Hill HD Collection will offer an option for original voices in Silent Hill 2," writes series producer Tomm Hulett. "This means fans and newcomers alike can experience the classic horror tale remastered with modern voice performances; as well as the original recordings from 2001." This option will likely please many longtime Silent Hill fans, as well as Guy Cihi, the original voice actor for Silent Hill 2 protagonist James Sunderland. Cihi previously urged Konami [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112698-Original-Silent-Hill-2-Voice-Actor-Speaks-Out-About-HD-Remake] to "do the right thing" and include the original voice track not for royalties, but to preserve a piece of gaming history.

Meanwhile, fans of Silent Hill 3 will have to keep their original PS2 discs handy. "Unfortunately," Hullet continues, "due to factors both technical and logistical, Silent Hill 3 will be presented with new voices only." Hullet does not elaborate on this, but many fans in the comments section surmise that this is due to Heather Morris, the original voice actress for Silent Hill 3's Heather Mason, being unreachable. If Morris herself weighs in, things could change, but the game is set to ship in January. Logistically speaking, there might not be enough time to include the original track.

Nostalgic fans of long-running series are a notoriously hard-to-please demographic, but it seems like Konami is doing its best to make the Silent Hill HD collection accessible for both veterans and newcomers. In the meantime, Guy Cihi was kind enough to comment on one of our previous Silent Hill articles [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112581-New-Silent-Hill-2-Voice-Actor-Defends-Changes]; if Heather Morris would like to leave her thoughts here, we would appreciate it very much.

Source: Silent Hill Official Fanpage [http://www.facebook.com/notes/silent-hill/original-voice-acting-confirmed-for-silent-hill-2-in-hd-collection/230717013661152]

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Take note, other developers. This is how you do it.

It's a shame about Silent Hill 3. Their actions with Silent Hill 2 definitely lend credence to the idea that they wanted to do it but were legitimately incapable of doing so for one reason or another.

I still haven't forgiven Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes for not including the older voice of Grey Fox.

Haz88

Nov 19, 2009
Now I might buy this instead of shelling out for a used PS2 and an old copy Silent Hill 2. Imperfection makes the best horror games IMO. More of this sort of thing.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
At least they were willing to meet fans half way on this, unlike other developers that will give fans the middle finger on such things.

It's too bad I have long since stopped caring on that matter, I still have my PS2 and my original copies, and I'm quite happy that way.

It does make me wonder whatever happened to Heather Morris though, did aliens abduct her or something?

Hitman Dread

Mar 9, 2011
Exterminas said:
Is that really a good thing? The voice acting was so horrible...
I agree, I really preferred the new actors.

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
At least they were willing to meet fans half way on this, unlike other developers that will give fans the middle finger on such things
Ya know these things aren't as easy as you think. Capcom has wanted to do an online port of Rival School for years, but can't because some they can't track down some of the voice actors to get approval and pay royalties for the port.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Well it's about time Konami fixed this. I'm not going to buy the game, but it's good to know they're paying tribute to the old SH 2 cast.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Hitman Dread said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
At least they were willing to meet fans half way on this, unlike other developers that will give fans the middle finger on such things
Ya know these things aren't as easy as you think. Capcom has wanted to do an online port of Rival School for years, but can't because some they can't track down some of the voice actors to get approval and pay royalties for the port.
Oh I know full well these things aren't easy.

What I was getting at was they didn't have to track down the old voice actors and try to get them to do a remake, but they did, and that's great. And they could've said, "Well we can't get everyone on board for this, so let's not get the old ones back", but they didn't, so everyone wins.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the new voice overs, and trust me, I want to punch myself in the mouth for that since I love Troy Baker and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
Wait, wait, wait. People were upset because the last cast got replaced by a better one? I heard there were issues regarding the VAing in the remakes, but I never thought it would be something so... eccentric(?)

Oh well. I suppose this is the best option and pleases everybody. In the end, pleasing as may people as you can is what their job is. Good on you Konami, even if having this debacle elaborated on makes me very sad.

Mr. Eff_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2009
Good. The new voices failed to capture the emotion of the original game. They tried to make them gritty and dark, which completely missed the point.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
So similar to Halo aniversarry graphics toggle?
Thats neat I guess, also I heard Silent hill 2 is coming for the 360, is this true?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
imnotparanoid said:
Thats neat I guess, also I heard Silent hill 2 is coming for the 360, is this true?
The Silent Hill HD collection (SH2+3) is being released on both PS3 and Xbox 360.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Amnestic said:
imnotparanoid said:
The Silent Hill HD collection (SH2+3) is being released on both PS3 and Xbox 360.
DO WANT. Seriously its about time I played a horror game with some, horror.
Screw you Dead space ¬_¬

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Amnestic said:
I still haven't forgiven Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes for not including the older voice of Grey Fox.
The Twin Snakes was a different beast altogether. They didn't just use the old recordings, the original actors actually reprised their roles to re-record the original lines. Needless to say there were bound to be a few gaps. That they managed to get hold of so many of the original actors was a miracle in itself. I heard David Hayter actually payed them out of his own personal money simply to get them on board so the game would seem authentic.

OT: As for this... whereas I'm real happy about this news, I still shall not be buying this game. Odd really because Silent Hill 2 is in my top 5 all time favourites. Then again that's probably the very reason I don't want to play this "remastered" version. I still have my special edition and director's cut versions of SH2 and the original SH3 along with a perfectly operational PS2. If this "collection" actually contained Silent Hill 1 and The Room, I would be all over it. But for 2 games I already own, love and cherish... nope, you're not destroying my memories Konami!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You take what you can get, I guess.

Still sucks about SH3. The old dude's performance might've been terrible, but Heather was brilliant.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Exterminas said:
You're right, it was terrible wasn't it! I dunno though, I think that's why I thought it worked - the whole game was totally surreal and then you've got people talking like they don't remember how talking works; it went with the atmosphere.

Granted I haven't heard the new voices, so they may be better.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
The new voice acting is terrible. I can't believe that there are people that think the new one is better.

Erja_Perttu said:
Exterminas said:
You're right, it was terrible wasn't it! I dunno though, I think that's why I thought it worked - the whole game was totally surreal and then you've got people talking like they don't remember how talking works; it went with the atmosphere.

Granted I haven't heard the new voices, so they may be better.

It sucks ass. I won't be happy until the completely remove them from the game or at least they put the old ones by default and you activate the new ones in a config buried deep down in the menu.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
ares5566 said:
This is a ploy do not support the new Silent Hill devs if you want to play this game play the original on ps2 or on pc (which can already run HD quality) Also to the naysayers SH2's voice acting was amazing the jail scene is so memorable.
Dude, even the people that prefer the old work say it's balls. It's balls.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Ok, sooooo... who's going to hire a private detective to track down Heather Morris? :p
'Cause I really doubt SH3's new voices are much better than SH2's. Especially considering they never showed them off.