South Korea's "Shutdown Law" Takes Effect

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
South Korea's "Shutdown Law" Takes Effect

As of this week, children aged under 16 in South Korea are barred from playing online games between midnight and 6:00 am.

South Korea's government has long been worried about the prevalence of passed a Shutdown Law in April [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99262-Korean-Government-Wages-War-On-Gaming-Addiction] this year which would ban all gamers aged under 16 from playing online games between midnight and 6:00 am. Earlier this week, the law went into effect.

The Shutdown Law (also known as the "Cinderella Law") is the brainchild of the Ministry of Culture, Sports, and Tourism (MCST) and the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family (MGEF). Although it only covered MMORPGs when first drafted earlier this year, the law now prevents those aged under 16 from playing various forms of online game during the shutdown period (the PSN is already working to these new standards, and XBL has been given a two-month "grace period" to teach its system how to track users' ages).

The law's passage has been met with furious opposition from South Korean gaming groups and civil rights advocates. The Korea Association of Game Industry (KAOGI), an amalgam of 14 different games developers and publishers, has criticized the law for "excessive prohibition" focussed on one group and is reported to be preparing a lawsuit. Similarly, cultural solidarity group MoonHwaYunDae (MHYD) filed an appeal against the law to South Korea's Constitutional Court just over a month ago, but have heard little back.

The obvious way to attempt to dodge this law - by which I mean the teenager illegally hijacking a parent's identity to play - has already been taken up by 5% of teenage gamers, claims South Korean gaming site ThisIsGame [http://www.thisisgame.com/go/2011/11/23/shutdown-system-is-working-now-in-korea/]. To deal with this problem, the MGEF wants games companies to collect additional information from gamers, including social security numbers and phone numbers, to strengthen account identification systems. As TIG notes, this is "exactly the opposite of personal information protection law."

The idea behind this law is that it'll push teenagers towards spending the wee hours sleeping rather than gaming, meaning that the government thinks twilight gaming poses so great a threat that parental control of power cables and ethernet wires isn't enough of a deterrent. While this law is offensive to the civil liberties of children, it is true that this group need sleep more than most; trying to judge whose responsibility the protection of that sleep-time is invokes a whole heap of ideological questions to which everyone will have a different answer. For now, though, the South Korean government's opinion is crystal clear.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/38251/South_Koreas_Shutdown_Law_Goes_Into_Effect.php]

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
Mmm I'm not sure its going to have that much effect; if Korea is anything like the west, half the gamers will lie about their age to circumvent having to get age restrictions on their profiles.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
I mean, it does sound like a noble idea, but there have go to be better ways of going about doing this.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Can adults opt in? I have to set an alarm clock to remind me to go to bed with some games (Minecraft and Battlefield 3 are the biggest offenders at the moment).

This needs to be an education campaign and not a law. If you educate people will stop a lot of people doing it, if you outlaw it a lot of people will find a way around the restrictions.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
So they just can't play online games during those hours? Then they'd just play them offline out of boredom. Ridiculous idea.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Hevva said:
The obvious way to attempt to dodge this law - by which I mean the teenager illegally hijacking a parent's identity to play - has already been taken up by 5% of teenage gamers, reports South Korean gaming site
How can that number possibly be based on any actual data? Was there a survey on adult accounts asking if they were really a lying teenager?

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
is it really that hard for S-Korean parents to yank their kids from the computer/internet cafe,s?

IzisviAziria

Nov 9, 2008
teqrevisited said:
So they just can't play online games during those hours? Then they'd just play them offline out of boredom. Ridiculous idea.
You've been a naughty boy! no more chocolate cake for you! From now on... you only get... Carrot cake!

Seriously, agree with your sentiment. This measure is a complete waste of South Korean taxpayers money. It will be impotent, it will be a civil rights infraction, and worst of all, it's a complete ***** slap in the face to all South Korean parents.

"Hey guys, you can't seem to raise your kids so we're gonna do it for you. kthx"

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I can understand it from a parents point og view, failing school because of games is noy really a laughing matter, been there myself and its not a happy destination.

But i'm passive on the subject. I'm not a parent so I dont have to worry and im in my 20's so it wouldnt affect me

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
RuralGamer said:
Mmm I'm not sure its going to have that much effect; if Korea is anything like the west, half the gamers will lie about their age to circumvent having to get age restrictions on their profiles.
sinterklaas said:
Shouldn't the parents be doing this?
In South Korean most computer gaming is done in cafes etc. Owning a personal computer isn't common thing. So it is up to the owner of the cafe or whatever they may be called to enforce this new law. I read about this a last year or early this year.

So lying on a profile doesn't work when the owner of a shops asks for ID, and well I don't know how parenting works in South Korea, but apparently the parents weren't stopping this before.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Jadak said:
How can that number possibly be based on any actual data? Was there are a survey adult accounts asking if they were really a lying teenager?
They ask it to teenagers.

Just like they ask students if they ever cheated in a test.

I would support this, but not during summer or holidays.

Plus, if someone has been playing for more than 3 hours straight, they could just decrease XP/gold/points rates over time until playing did not generate any more XP/gold/points.

It's much better than giving you a schedule to play on.

Blargh McBlargh said:
It's pretty goddamn disgusting that their government is trying to decide what people can and cannot do with their own spare time, no matter what reason.

I guess you don't know how gaming is a time sink in S. Korea.

If a government has no way to replenish their work force because everyone is failing at school and the population gets older and unable to work, how can you sustain a country? You don't, it crumbles apart.