Notch Gets His Very Own Team Fortress 2 Hat

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Notch Gets His Very Own Team Fortress 2 Hat

Thanks to the solid dudes at Valve, Notch is now rocking his very own unique Team Fortress 2 hat.

Team Fortress 2 hats are all about status and they don't get much statusier than the "Top Notch," a new and extremely rare lid developed by Valve and turned loose over the weekend. How rare is it? So far only a single player has one: Markus "Notch" Persson, the creator of Minecraft.

"I got invited to play in the third TF2 Mixup with a bunch of famous TF2 personalities. Robin Walker, my third favorite person at Valve, was there, and kept killing me with his super hax. And by golly did I have a great time!" he wrote on his Primeval Warrior [http://notch.tumblr.com/] after playing for awhile, but then later on he was awarded something really special: a hat that looks like a cardboard box with several smaller pieces of cardboard taped to it in the blocky likeness of a face bearing an uncanny resemblance to Notch himself, an effect completed by the fedora that sits atop it all.

"Hooooly cow. Thank you, Valve," he wrote. "You wouldn't believe the amount of medic I get now. Also, spies. I am never quitting TF2 again, and you should all go buy it right away. How much is it, you ask? It's FREE! YES!"

The Top Notch is available for all classes, but don't hold your breath waiting to try it out yourself. "Welcome to a secret society so exclusive it makes the Illuminati look like a Costco," the Top Notch item description says. "How exclusive? You are the only member. This is the only item of its kind in all of existence. So don't craft it, Miney."

Source: Team Fortress 2 Wiki [http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Top_Notch]

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Well Minecraft has sold more than 3 copies and has a letter "e" in it so a TF2 Crossover Item was inevitable, disappointed that the Item's a hat and not a remodeled equalizer though.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
SO he libels Yogscast and sicks his horde of drooling retards after them and he gets a fucking hat. Be dick get reward.
Aye, I thought this was ridiculously ill timed too.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
SO he libels Yogscast and sicks his horde of drooling retards after them and he gets a fucking hat. Be dick get reward.
I am confused, Yogscast?

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
That's pretty cool. I wonder what the requirements are to get one, apart from being Notch of course.

And yeah, Valve obviously gave him the hat because of what he said about the Yogscast...

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Angry Juju said:
SO he libels Yogscast and sicks his horde of drooling retards after them and he gets a fucking hat.
Because this post obviously makes it clear that the yogscast do not have a horde of drooling retards.

*sarcasm off*

So how long is it till we start getting skins to put on our personal 'steve' hats in tf2?
Funny, sounds like you're calling him a drooling retard. I'm sure I must be reading that wrong, but I suggest you change that. People could get confused and report you.

OT: I wonder if anybody else has a unique hat...

Cyfu

Nov 25, 2010
Angry Juju said:
Korten12 said:
I am confused, Yogscast?
they're a couple of youtube celebrities who make minecraft videos

it's a long story full of the blame game so i'm going to sum it up nice and quick

They were doing something at minecon, notch was in a bad mood, notch called them dicks and banned them from minecon, yogscast explained what they did and said, notch apologized, people like the second poster apparently still hate notch despite the apology.
of course we do. Yogscast lost ALOT of subscribers, which in turn means that they lose money and their site got DDOS'd. it wasn't till after that notch apologized. an apology doesn't fix that.

Poisoned Al

Feb 16, 2008
Angry Juju said:
people like the second poster apparently still hate notch despite the apology.
But how will they perpetuate retarded drama if they just drop it and just get on with with their lives? Oh right, they don't have a fucking life to get on with.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
Korten12 said:
I am confused, Yogscast?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.326085-So-notch-is-an-assh-le
Most recent one I could find ...

Anyways ... Ill timed and as always the most useless way to honour someone who causes controversy at least once a week ... Perfect business move, but imho quite a dickmove nonetheless.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
SO he libels Yogscast and sicks his horde of drooling retards after them and he gets a fucking hat. Be dick get reward. Real bad timing.
I think it's safe to say this was in the works LONG before the incident at Minecon. And in any case, I think everybody needs to just get over it. Notch has apologized, Yogscast has accepted the apology, and both of them are back to doing what they normally do. So put away your torches and let it blow over already. Keeping the flames of contempt lit will help nobody.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
I feel the apology was half assed for all the shit it caused. If i hated notch i wouldn't still be playing minecraft.
Then never get into a situation where you'll meet a lot of game developers or movie actors/directors or writers. You'll cut down on your entertainment options damn fast.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Can somebody please explain why this guy is getting so much attention? I mean, granted, he made one of the most successful indie games ever, but it's not like he didn't receive compensation for it (i.e.: craploads of money).