239: Journey Into Darkness

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Journey Into Darkness

2007's The Darkness wasn't just a competent first-person shooter - it told a powerful story about love and the loss of humanity through gameplay alone. Logan Westbrook takes a closer look at Starbreeze Studios' oft-overlooked diamond in the rough.

Read Full Article

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
I remember it was the story that made the darkness good, the random calls from Payphones and the characters made it worth playing rather than the lacklustre multiplayer

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Out of all the games I have played over the years I have never been so immersed in the story of a game like The Darkness. The Demon possessing you truly feels like another character, and even though you control it for most of the game it never seems a part of you. Especially in the Hell levels where you travel into the world of the Darkness, and a boss fight you win by not fighting (something that took me ages to find out, and was a surreal experience).

Another weird moment is during a loading screen. To cover the load, and narrate the plot, there are scenes of Jackie standing in a dark room illuminated by a spotlight from above. He gives little monologues giving a bit of backstory or just cleaning his gun, and they are very nice. There was one, though, where he is simply standing there, and all of a sudden a noise is heard out in the dark. For me that was a big moment in the game. I had just accepted that he was standing there narrating, but now I saw it in a different light. Where actually was he? The darkness and the light took on a totally different meaning. He wasn't just standing there. He was trapped there surrounded by the darkness that had invaded his soul.

The game itself has flaws, the levels are fairly open, but it is far too easy to get lost with no map to show you the way. The Darkling AI can be frustratingly useless, there are too many loading screens to get to different sections, and the last level at the mansion was a bit of a let down.

Those are things I can completely ignore as it is one of the deepest games I have ever played, despite how short the story actually is. As you alluded to you can watch TV. There are a few scattered around, and they each have 5 or 6 channels with actual programs on like movies, music videos, and cartoons. In addition there are notes with telephone numbers on scattered about the world. Pick them up, and you can call the numbers, each with a different message.

Not wishing to spoil anything, but the ending is very strange, and bittersweet. If you don't have this game, buy it now. It's dirt cheap, a good action game on its own, and is the best example of storytelling in a videogame ever.

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
A corking article. One that highlights the importance of a good story and narrative in any single player game. While storylines exist in most games, the Darkness truly kicked it up a notch, it made you genuinely care for Jenny. When she died, it was a total punch to the guts.

Storytelling like this should be rewarded somehow. The story sucks the player in, makes you LIVE in it's world, then makes you care. (For the lack of a better word) This is the kind of storytelling that movies can never hope to have.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Geez, this article makes me wish I hadn't passed up this game. Great read!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Man. Starbreeze are masters of anti-heroes.

Riddick and Jackie are fantastic examples of this. Although the Riddick games didn't feature any moments of "snuggling on the couch", it gave you little hub areas where you could walk around an take short side-missions and you could find cigarette packs with unique text on each. And Bounty Cards with funny crimes.

Insert Comedy Here

May 22, 2009
Heh, I was sad that I ran out of time to play this. I rented it for the weekend, and got really engrossed in it, and decided to really take my time with the game.

Also, I got stuck.

trog08

Jul 24, 2009
I loved this game. As stated previously the story in engrossing and there are quite a few nice little subtleties about it that help. Another aspect of it that did it for me was the soundtrack, Theres some really great orchestral stuff in there aswell as some quieter stuff that helps drive the mood of the story. I also just read a moment ago that there is a sequel being written but Starbreeze aren't behind it...

Poopie McGhee

Über Sparrow Kicker
Aug 26, 2009
I'm kind of glad I wasn't the only one that enjoyed this game... And yes, the story was really interesting...
About the article, though... *Spoiler Alert* just saying...

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I loved the Darkness for it's character development, which I've always been a sucker for. The mechanics are a bit bland, but I can always excuse it just for the sake of progressing through the storyline to get to the next Half-Life esque "cutscenes".

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
Well described! I, too, felt like the Darkness wasn't given a fair shake by most. If they had devoted the resources they put towards multiplayer (that was, predictably, dead on arrival) into the campaign instead, things might've been different.

Stupid tacked-on multiplayer... when will these developers figure out that not every game can be Modern Warfare and stop trying? People like single-player games too.

Apr 28, 2008
I remember The Darkness...

Hell of a game.

One of the greatest stories in an FPS, right up there with Bioshock.
Thats right, I said it, right up there with Bioshock.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Irridium said:
I remember The Darkness...

Hell of a game.

One of the greatest stories in an FPS, right up there with Bioshock.
Thats right, I said it, right up there with Bioshock.
It's worth saying. It really is. I'd go so far as to say it's better personally. It kills me to see this game so overlooked. Hell, you can find it in most bargain bins for a 5 spot these days.

cynicalandbored

Nov 12, 2009
Great article, and a great game. My only pet peeve about it was that the city was almost entirely unpopulated on street level, which took away a bit from the immersion. Otherwise, everything said in the article was entirely true. Bravo.

(whitty name here)

Apr 20, 2009
Great Game. Article describes it well.
One of the most immerse storylines I have ever played.
I really loved finding the 4 horsemen in the hell levels, a little thing I got to enjoy while progressing.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Whilst I still consider The Darkness to be massively over rated, I have to say that that scene really worked to perfection on me, it completely blindsided me and made me one with Jackie for that brief moment.
A shame the story and immersion was down hill from there, not to mention the decidely average gameplay.

Newtilator

Sep 16, 2009
Finally, someone finally recognises the fAantastic experience that wa the darkness. Everythging about this game, from the Demonic world based on World War 1 to the Darkness constantlywhispering in your ear. Everything was amazing. The boss fight you won by being nice to your enemy, whilst images of your dead girlfriend flicker in your eyes, It was a truly beautiful game.
Plus, you could summon a funny irate Imp to jump on mobsters chests and stuff a power dril in their mouth.