Introduction

konor77

Aug 26, 2009
I love UB control. The last tournament I was at I actually milled myself in one game due to casting forbidden alchemy 7 or so times. Also not all of the top 8 was aggro, the deck that won was wolf run ramp.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
konor77 said:
I love UB control. The last tournament I was at I actually milled myself in one game due to casting forbidden alchemy 7 or so times. Also not all of the top 8 was aggro, the deck that won was wolf run ramp.
I opted to give Snapcaster Mage [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=226758]s. Did you fare pretty well in the rest of your matches?

Also, the Ramp thing actually had me scratching my head a bit when I was writing, as I wasn't too sure what to call this style of Ramp deck other than than "Aggro." It's not Control, and it doesn't really look to Combo like Valakut used to. It kind of got defaulted to the Aggro category for lack of a better fit in the 3 broadest archetypes. Do you think it fits better elsewhere?

PvtJet

Aug 30, 2011
I just started playing over the past summer (missed it as a kid) and due to opening a Liliana in a pack decided to try my hand at a Solar Flare deck.

Not that I've invested to much money in the game, but I have fun playing on my dorm's floor with friends. Except against my one friend's hexproof deck. F*** that crap.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Sure takes me back... I started in Revised, just before The Dark... and I sold out of the game right around the time fifth edition rolled around...

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
I dunno about your deck. Invisible Stalker is really not what you want to be doing right now in standard, because the aggro decks simply don't care about the swords (they'll outrace you by miles) and the midrange decks aren't all that popular at the moment.

You could try Bloodline Keeper instead if you wanna go with the whole sword thing, since he's actually good without a sword in play (and the endless 2/2s are decent at saving some life against aggro)

And I'm assuming you're lacking on duals, since you only have 2. (Scars lands are ridiculous in price right now, it's actually really annoying)

EDIT: I do like U/B control, it's just never been my style of play (and it plays a lot of expensive cards). I'm currently trying to get BUG Necrotic Ooze to work, since it looks like a lot of fun

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
I've being playing for a couple years, never competitively, but I'm pretty decent. Had one ridiculous Shards of Alara deck where I got stupendous amounts of Bant cards, and just shoved all 26 rares into one deck that worked pretty well.

I meticulously planned out a pretty kick-ass mono-white Soldier's tribal deck, but I've never got around to buying it, as the ~£80 is a little out of my price range for a card game that I don't play that often/competitively.

Nice article, though, I look forward to reading more in the future.

Motakikurushi

Jul 22, 2009
Oh Blue and Black decks, perfect for pissing the other player off by countering every spell they use and punishing them for doing anything. It's a shame that the great cards are extremely difficult to get and actually investing money into what is essentially a card game is a concept extremely laughable to me, but I would seriously like to get better at this game. There are certain cards I would kill to get my hands on.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
ZeZZZZevy said:
I dunno about your deck. Invisible Stalker is really not what you want to be doing right now in standard, because the aggro decks simply don't care about the swords (they'll outrace you by miles) and the midrange decks aren't all that popular at the moment.

You could try Bloodline Keeper instead if you wanna go with the whole sword thing, since he's actually good without a sword in play (and the endless 2/2s are decent at saving some life against aggro)

And I'm assuming you're lacking on duals, since you only have 2. (Scars lands are ridiculous in price right now, it's actually really annoying)

EDIT: I do like U/B control, it's just never been my style of play (and it plays a lot of expensive cards). I'm currently trying to get BUG Necrotic Ooze to work, since it looks like a lot of fun
Well I have to say you are spot-on across the board. I've just been so eager to see Invisible Stalker [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=220041] work since it got spoiled. It's kind of a pet deck, I suppose. While it may not be well positioned in the Standard environment, I still *really* want to see how it performs locally.

I've only got access to a couple of dual lands, and they're in there. I tend to blow my Magic budget on boosters, leaving precious little to spend on singles when trying to assemble something and, given the current price of the Scars duals, they're just way out of range.

Also, I've seen some pretty nasty looking Necrotic Ooze [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=207876] builds, so good luck!

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Good article, and I for one welcome a weekly magic column. I've been playing since the original Mirrodin block, and despite it's issues (FUCK AFFINITY) I still loved it. Scars of Mirrodin was a nice return, but I have to admit, I'm a little bummed out that the plane that got me into magic has been wiped out and taken over by pure evil. And Venser (my favorite character) kicking the can was just depressing.

For standard, I'm running a White/blue/Green Birthing Pod deck, and it really get's some nice results. Skaab Ruinator is just hilarious. Also have two Commander decks, both control/combo, one with Vorash(G/U/B) and one with Crosis(R/U/B). The Crosis one is more for shenanigans, and pissing friends off with copying Cruel Ultimatum 5 times in a turn...I don't have many friends willing to play against it anymore.

As for you U/B deck, I gotta say, it's not doing it for me. Invisible stalker/swords just doesn't work as well as we all wish it would, it's just no Squadron Hawk.

For starters, one-of's in general aren't a good idea. Is that single Tezzeret really doing anything to reliably affect the outcome of your games? Why run a single Sword of Body and Mind/War and Peace mainboard? Are those two inkmoth nexus's really worth it when they're the only infect sources in the deck? Why do you only have one titan!? Control decks run on stalling till you get you bomb them, I know they're kinda expensive, but get some more Grave Titans, or maybe some Wurmcoil Engines in there!

Really now, it's kinda like you're trying to combine two types of decks into something that isn't working. You know what Invisible stalker likes? Mirran Crusader, Angelic Destiny, Geist of Saint Taft and Mentor of the Meek! A good U/W aggro deck just loves him. U/B control? Not so much. Maybe try turning it into a full on Solar Flare deck? Add some white, Fiend Hunter, Sun Titan, Unburial Rites, Think Twice, Forbidden Alchemy...you really don't "need" Snapcaster Mage for it to be effective, but I won't lie, it'd help.

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
I am very happy to see this column pop up... I started playing just before Innistrad hit (about 2 weeks, I think) and I'm having great fun with it. So far just causal play, but I'm hoping to hit the occasional tournament/FNM after the holiday rush is over. I expect to get trounced, but at least I'll be able to take the Rules Advisor test, which is my ultimate goal right now. In the meantime, I'll keep messing around with my 6 decks. (That happened faster than I expected.)

Freddyqaqualung

Nov 16, 2010
I've been playing for a couple years now (never tournaments, just with friends) and I've gotta agree with Annihilator being my favorite effect. I recently made a BG Eldrazi deck after I got my hands on Emrakul, and it tends to work at least moderately well most of the time.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Finally someone starts a MTG column here. I haven't been able to play at my local shop for almost a month due to family/work, but this Saturday I'm up for Innistrad drafting :D

I'm a limited player at heart, I don't like dropping huge amounts of cash to build stock decks, and I enjoy working within the confines of a very restrictive ruleset.

Right now I'm running Esper Reanimator (not Solar Flare, Reanimator, I have 2x Sheoldred, Whispering One and a Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur in my deck) and having a blast with it, although I lose every single game to mono red and tempered steel*. I just swapped some cards around (Added a couple more removal spells to the sideboard and swapped my Jace's Archivists for Merfolk Looters) so I want to see how it performs.

I play at 3rd Coast Cards in Houston (Katy) for free FNM (when I can) and drafts on Saturdays, anyone in the area should come down and play with us :)

*Funny story. I had a game against mono red where he got a T1 Goblin Fireslinger, I mana leaked a T2 shrine, he got T3 Shrine/Fireslinger while I Forbidden Alchemy'd on his end step. I binned an Unburial Rites, land, and Elesh Norn. I reanimated the Elesh Norn on T4, and wiped his board. He played a Manabarbs, took 4 from Norn on my turn while I drew lands off my draw step and think twice. Now at this point, my hand is a couple land, Black Sun's Zenith, and 2 Doom Blades. He cast another shrine and passed the turn. I draw another land, flash back think twice (more land), and attack with Norn. He casts a Stromkirk Noble, uses the morbid'd Brimstone Volley and a Galvanic Blast to kill Norn. Eventually, he double shrines me and I lose.

Evidently, that's how you beat a T4 Elesh Norn as Mono red ><

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
I like the idea of a MTG column, although in all honesty I go to sites like TCG player and Channel Fireball for MTG articles.

Having someone with no tourney experience, that still seems to be at the above average but not competitive level do the articles is a bit strange to me.

I don't really think your control deck can work. It has no card draw for late game card advantage. It has no big spells for late game finishers, aside from the 1 Grave Titan.

The sweepers for Black right now (Black Suns Zenith) are only decent at best, and seem to backfire on your current win condition(little dudes + equipment).

Equipment used to be so good because stoneforge allowed you to pick out the sword which had the proper protections + get card advantage, and the small bodies to use them (squadron hawk) were basically free. Now a days the equipment is only decent, and I think you would be better off if you want an equipment based deck to run monoblack infect with livewire lash or w.e that card is called.

Oct 30, 2010
I quit a few years back (Future Sight). My local scene had devolved into almost exclusively drafting.

I'm not against paying for Magic, but when I know beforehand that every card I draft, from the chase rares to the worst jank, is immediately going into a box at home it got harder and harder to justify the cost.

It's a shame, but I like the idea of this series. The WotC site for Magic is so incredibly poorly designed it has stymied my earlier attempts to find out what's been happening...

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
I'm such a newb at magic it hurts. I bought a red and black booster pack two years ago and my friend and I play each other in sporadic bursts. Half of our rules are house rules, but still, we have fun.

From what I last heard, Red deck is UP. Can anyone explain why? (If this is true that is.)

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
This new segment is great! I love MTG. While I had played a bit with friends years in the past, it was about a year and a half ago that I started getting my own cards and building my own decks. Now I play anywhere from 1-4 times a week.

Regarding Standard being mostly aggro-dominated at the moment, I think that's mainly because there isn't much to choose from in Standard at this time since we just had a rotation. Personally I prefer Legacy; there are SOO many more cards to choose from and you don't have to worry about rotation since everything except Power 9 and some of the cards on the relatively small banlist are legal.

My current Legacy decks are Dredge, Tezzeret-Affinity and I'm now working on a reanimator deck.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
I used to get together with a bunch of guys and play a tournament every Saturday at the card shop down at the end of the street, but when the owner quit the business and the card shop became a driving school ( oddly right at the time I needed to learn to drive) I all but quit the game, it was a financial burden, and you can only play the same three people so many times before it becomes pointless, I still have my old white cleric deck ( built for the sole purpose of boosting my life at every turn, to where I just wear down the opponent) I had a chance to get back into it about a year ago but I just can't seem to bring myself to pay through the nose for pieces of cardboard. I'd much rather use it to upgrade my PC.

It was fun in school but as an adult I have other concerns that need to be addressed. I find my entertainment through music and the occasional video game, but most of my time is spent focusing on work and school (collage) .....

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
Encaen said:
ZeZZZZevy said:

Well I have to say you are spot-on across the board. I've just been so eager to see Invisible Stalker [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=220041] work since it got spoiled. It's kind of a pet deck, I suppose. While it may not be well positioned in the Standard environment, I still *really* want to see how it performs locally.

I've only got access to a couple of dual lands, and they're in there. I tend to blow my Magic budget on boosters, leaving precious little to spend on singles when trying to assemble something and, given the current price of the Scars duals, they're just way out of range.

Also, I've seen some pretty nasty looking Necrotic Ooze [http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=207876] builds, so good luck!
I'm lucky to have a good trade group to work with, along with a local card shop with good prices. If you can find anyone to trade with consistently, it goes a long way with with getting the cards you need.

As for the deck, I wish you success! I'm a fan of brewing and hopefully you come out of the tournament with a good experience and more ideas.