MMO "Unlaunched"

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
MMO "Unlaunched"

Glitch, the bizarre world-building MMO from Keita Takahashi, the man behind the utterly mental Noby Noby Boy and Katamari Damacy, has been "unlaunched" after two months of release.

The game [http://www.glitch.com/] was returned to a beta state not because of glitches, which would have made for a spectacularly wry headline that would have amused you for all of half a second, but because it was missing important features.

"There are two obvious and huge improvements we need to make: the first is to make the early game reveal itself more easily to new players so they can get into the fun faster," wrote Tiny Speck's Stewart Butterfield. "The second and larger task is to give those players who have gotten over that initial hump and fallen in love with the game - spending dozens or even hundreds of hours playing - the creative tools that they need to change the world in more tangible ways: building whole new locations themselves, designing new buildings, setting up resource flows and forming flexible organizations to create bigger things together."

Apparently, the team had hoped to add features and fix issues over time, as many MMOs are wont to do these days, but that proved difficult. "Making radical changes to core game mechanics is something that's a lot harder to do while the front doors are open," Butterfield continued.

The game is still playable in its Beta state, though the development team may be slow to fix "non-critical bugs." Any player who has spent money on the game's premium content can claim a full refund via the game's official site. [http://www.glitch.com/login/?r=%2Freturns%2F] There's no information on when the game will be relaunched.

For those who haven't heard of Glitch - and I admit, it managed to slip under my radar completely - it's a world-building MMO that takes place in the minds of "eleven peculiarly imaginative giants." Just check out the distinctly unsettling trailer at the top right there.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-30-glitch-mmo-unlaunched]

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
Honestly? The trailer wasn't nearly as weird or psychadelic as I was hoping.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Made by the guys from Katamari Damancy?

What, did they run out of acid and realized that they had released by accident?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I've been playing the game for a while and I was freaked out by the trailer too, but it's not even half as wierd as the trailer makes it look.

The game plays entirely on your browser, you don't need to download anything, it uses Flash, it has a 2D perspective, comparable to MapleStory and the gameplay itself is simple enough. You don't kill things, instead, you "create" things, instead of sending them into oblivion.

Sometimes the game is kinda trippy, but it's quite fun nonetheless.

Also, what's not to love about a game where you need to stroke 5 pigs instead of killing 20 rats?.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Grey Carter said:
retyopy said:
Honestly? The trailer wasn't nearly as weird or psychadelic as I was hoping.
The crows and weird-ass Cthulhu monster doesn't do it for you?
The Cthulu monsters are pretty standard for the internet at this point. Hardly creepy though since they're drawn up in that same style as farmville and it's ilk. The crows are a bit unsettling, but without having looked further at the game they're probably meant to hint at the conflict they've developed for the game. After all, not every thought you have is a good thought.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
This looks like FarmVille, on EVERY DRUG, EVER.

So yeah, probably better than FarmVille.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Wonder how many people were playing this.

SupahGamuh said:
Also, what's not to love about a game where you need to stroke 5 pigs instead of killing 20 rats?.
Depends. Was it consensual?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Doesn't look so weird to me, It looks like a particularly happy maplestory.

If you think i'm saying that because it's 2D. It is.