Kaiju Santa Cards Arrive In Time To Horrify For The Holidays

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Kaiju Santa Cards Arrive In Time To Horrify For The Holidays

Santa Claus has never looked so terrifying, or quite so delightful.

Now that the Holiday Season is upon us, it's time to legitimize the Postal Service's existence by sending out a ton of greeting cards. If you haven't found a set of nerdy cards to freak your friends and family out with this season, you may want to check out these <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiju>Kaiju-anatomy Santa Claus cards, which are almost guaranteed to be the most bizarre things you'll see all week.

The cards are being sold by Brad McGinty, a Minnesota-based comic artist and animator. According to McGinty, these are all that remain of his grandfather's failed greeting card company that he tried to start after World War II. McGinty's grandfather was working with an artist name Haruo to create cards that would appeal to folks both in Japan and the West. Unfortunately, the results were a massive failure and pretty much bankrupted his family:

The story of my grandfather's failed card company was pretty well known in my family. My grandfather always insisted that it ruined his life and was the cause of his "whiskey fits." Not only did he blame Haruo for the fiasco, but all of Japan for his financial ruin. He even went as far as to contact the Irish Press in 1956 with a completely fictitious tale about being swindled out of his money while trying to stop a Japanese murder plot against the Pope.

However, McGinty's mother discovered a bunch of the cards in an old ammo tin. Now, the artist is selling them via his website in just about any quantity you could hope for. I'm not going to lie: I'd be tempted to send one to my mother if I wasn't sure it'd give her a heart attack.

Source: <a href=http://www.bradmcginty.com/?p=1366>Brad McGinty

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
The guy's grandfather was definitely onto something. He was just decades ahead of his time. I want one of these right now. Every passing minute is just a mocking reminder that I do not possess a diagrammed cross-section of Ultra-Santa.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Thanks long dead Grandfather person, I was just about out of nightmare fuel but you managed to completely fill me up for months! :D

I get what the grandfather was doing with those cards but damn, they just un-nerve me for some reason and I'm the sick freak who enjoyed "Fulgrim" and the Night Lord triology so far. Not sure why it creeps me out but it just does. I'll admit, nice art work though, atleast he put alot of effort into those cards with the details.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
How could anyone look at one of these and think "You know what, these would make amazing greeting cards. Japan loves monsters, right? And the west love looking at horrific depictions of one of their most beloved children's stories. But then again who doesn't? I know I'd love to get one of these in the mail." to themselves?

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Umm, I'm pretty sure this guy is just tacking on a funny story to something he made, not his grandfather. The pictures on his blog of his "grandfather" are all fake and easily recognized as good photography mixed with some photoshop filters.

Tetsuo Panyagua

Dec 1, 2011
KeyMaster45 said:
Umm, I'm pretty sure this guy is just tacking on a funny story to something he made, not his grandfather. The pictures on his blog of his "grandfather" are all fake and easily recognized as good photography mixed with some photoshop filters.
Damnit, you beat me to it :)

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
An interesting hybrid of cultural perceptions, even if the backstory is made up. Peronally I'll hold out for the Combat Menorah Mecha, composed of eight smaller robots of course.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Haha that's brilliant! I love the poison gift liver and the celebration bowels! Hilarious! And the story behind the cards is pretty hilarious too. And "seasoned greetings"? Classic!

Live4Lotus

Dec 5, 2009
I just bought 5 of these; they are so f**king crazy I couldn't resist. I have no idea who I can send them to. "American Christmas Devil" - What more would you expect from someone who you shot in the face?

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
This card gave me some messed-up nightmares... o_O

I also bought 10 of those cards.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
How did THAT fail to take hold in Japan?
Maybe it was too soon after the bombings for them to accept something that looked like a nuked holiday figure?

OT: I don't think any of my family members have the sense of humor to want something like this, and i don't really do the whole card thing with my friends so... i'll leave the spreading of Bizarro Santa up to someone else >_>

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
KeyMaster45 said:
That and the fact that the guy is a comic artist and writer, the "old" cards have his website stamped on them, he's standing in front of a bathroom with a "whites only" sign just to show "see it's really old!" and the caption on the third picture down (the one with the bad photoshop lines around his hand). Not to mention the "old ammo can" is a modern can for a belt of 7.62 for an M60/M249, not a .30 or a box of clips for an M1 Garand as it would be if it were from the WW2 era.

Regardless, sold.