Infinity Blade 2 Dev Admits Crunch Wasn't Worth It

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Infinity Blade 2 Dev Admits Crunch Wasn't Worth It

Sure, Infinity Blade 2 is out, but the crunch time everyone went through to get it finished just wasn't worth the stress.

Mobile gamers are undoubtedly thrilled that Chair Entertainment has finally put Infinity Blade II out on the App Store. However, in order to meet the December 1st deadline, the studio spent the past few months in a Team Bondi-like crunch mode (albeit without all the screaming), which one of the developer's heads has stated just wasn't worth the stress.

Speaking to Gamasutra, Chair co-founder Donald Mustard explained that the crunch came about because the studio shipped two games in six months. However, while the fast development time has its benefits, it's also got its downsides:

"I think in retrospect, having done it twice, that our development cycles are a little too short. Not that the games are less polished because of it, but we're way more burnt out because, in order to make II feel the experience it needed to be, required way more crunching than is effective. It required for us, for the last two or three months, to just death march kill ourselves. I mean, guys are just working so many hours, doing so much, and that's not really good, I think, for the longevity of our studio."

"And so we definitely won't do that again. It's not worth the cost. I would rather take an extra two or three months than burn the guys out, or burn even me out. It doesn't allow enough time to sit there and let the game breathe."

Mustard's comments are certainly nice to read, since they demonstrate his concern for the development team. Mustard also made a point of mentioning that he is interested in developing Shadow Complex II, though it'll probably take more than six months to get that sucker finished.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/38790/It>Gamasutra

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
It's kind of like mercenary work...you can choose what to do, but at the end of the day, you gotta do what you have to so that you can put food on the table.

Mischlings

Feb 18, 2011
Assuming that they not only are serious but will actually keep their word in the future, I am really happy to see someone saying this. Crunch time in anything only ends up hurting the people working on it, and any way of slowing it down or even stopping it has to be a good thing.

Good job, Chair Entertainment. Now stick to your word, and convince others to do so as well.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
On the other hand you get developers like Valve who have absolutely no deadlines and thus no pressure to get things done in a timely manner. Yes the games are good but are they good because they spent an extra three years ( and counting) on it?

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Good lesson, other than the lives and safety of those you care about there really isn't anything in life that is worth sacrificing yourself over.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
Video game crunch time is pretty mortifying to watch. I think I can wait for Shadow Complex II

risenbone

Sep 3, 2010
Well yes crunch time is a bad thing. It speaks to problems of managers of the industry that they can't schedual or budget properly. Though I believe those are mere symtoms whats truely going on and that is it would appear as though most game devs have a tendancy to over promise what they can actually deliver and leave themselves little to no wriggle room for when things enevitably go wrong.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
If they put it out on Android, I would care more.

WHY DO YOU HATE ANDROID USERS SO MUCH, CHAIR ENTERTAINMENT?

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Hey, everyone relax. Yes, we're clearly reverting to the days of 100+ hour work weeks for everyone who isn't wealthy, but now it's entirely their choice. Sure, the economic pressures of capitalism run amok might compel these people to destroy themselves at work, but they could always opt for starvation and homelessness.

The important thing to remember is that no CEOs broke a sweat.