Brink Goes Free on Steam to Celebrate New Clan Site

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Brink Goes Free on Steam to Celebrate New Clan Site

Splash Damage is giving Brink veterans some thank-you features, and greenhorns a reason to enlist.

With all the attention Bethesda is enjoying from Skyrim, it seems someone over there decided it's perfect timing to divert some of the spotlight to one of its less successful titles: Brink. Brink was released back in May to sales and reviews that could be most fairly described as, well, fair. Still, the first-person, Parkour-based shooter has maintained a decent community of players since launch, and its developer, Splash Damage, is looking to reward it while hopefully bringing in some new blood at the same time. To accomplish this, its brand new clan and tournament system has just gone live in tandem with a free extended weekend of play on Steam.

Splash Damage's new Clans and Tournaments site [http://battle.brinkthegame.com/] will allow groups within the Brink community to track stats and organize officially for the first time. According to its official blog, here are some of the features players can currently sign up to enjoy for free:

? Create your own Brink clan, allowing you to manage everything from your name and logo to recruitment status, and your members.
? If running your own clan isn't your thing, join an existing squad that's currently recruiting.
? Fight for position on Brink's Global Clan Ladder by challenging other clans and defeating them in exciting clan matches.
? Enter your clan into tournaments with unique rule sets and map rotations.

If you haven't taken the time to try the shooter yet, Splash Damage wants to earn your support by offering the entire game for free on Steam for four full days. The download went live today at 1:00 P.M. EST and will be available until 1:00 P.M. EST on Monday, December 5th. If you like it, you'll then have the option to purchase Brink for 75% off retail price.

Brink may not have created the same retail lines as other 2011 shooters, but instead of whining about it, Splash Damage has chosen to roll out new features, offer free play, and give potential gamers a sweet, sweet discount. You may not have liked Brink if you're someone who played it, but if you haven't, and were ever even sort of interested in doing so, you've officially lost your excuse not to try it.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-01-brink-is-free-to-play-on-steam-all-weekend]

Virmire

Sep 25, 2011
Damnit! Title said 'Free Game' text said 'For four days'.

I just want to see if my laptop can even consider playing this...

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I'll have to try it. I thought it looked pretty fun in the trailers but it never really was on my radar.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
If there are any veterans still playing Brink, they definitely deserve a thank-you.
I still play. I love that damn game. I really don't see why many hate it, aside from the singleplayer being a cut-and-paste. It's got a fluid movement system, deep character customization, and a solid multiplayer community. Seriously, guys. Pick this one up.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Worth a shot I guess. If I like it even just a little a 75% discount isgreat.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
Among the headlines below the article;

"Bethesda to release Brink ahead of schedule"

lol... Remember how many people thought that was a great idea? No wait, you don't have to remember, you can still go look!

OT: I wasn't interested when the trailer came out, as I saw a slew of things that weren't going to be in the game (well okay, maybe just one thing. Action rolls. Seriously, watch that trailer and count how many friggin' action rolls the characters do. You'd think with all that rolling around it'd be a key feature in the game... But there was no rolling was there? No. Sliding doesn't count). Anyways, after the reviews, the backlash from the community, and now this.. Even being free.. I'm still not interested. They seem desperate.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Hmm let me think about this, I want to start a new shooter and Brink free for 4 days, or I can play Team Fortress 2 which is free forever...decisions decisions.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
Any game that locks the fps@30 can die in a horrible pit of fire. Despite the fact that Steam forums tend to be a whine den there is always truth in them. Will not try or buy.

Now in other new Terraria is 75% off as well.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I'm looking on Steam and I can't see free Brink.

edit - Oh I see it is only play the game for free for four days not get it for free for four days, won't be bothering with this then (for that reason and because I can't figure the download out.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
Vault Citizen said:
I'm looking on Steam and I can't see free Brink.

edit - Oh I see it is only play the game for free for four days not get it for free for four days, won't be bothering with this then (for that reason and because I can't figure the download out.
It should be in your games list if not just quit and restart Steam. It will say Brink - X days left than you click install. Then you decide if you hate the game a lot or a little.

The biggest reason I never picked up it is the gameplay trailers looked dull to me. And than I read it was fps capped @30 and said fuck that.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Just bought it for $5. I doubt I'll be disappointed. I watched my roommate play it and it looked like it was passable at $10.

Akyho

Nov 28, 2010
Thats not free....download it and in four days it says "buy it for 75% off" thats not free...its a free weekend. Fact Checker! Fact Checker! Get your Fact Checker here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xTtCXVuu-8

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
It's not THAT bad of a game, I assume the lag problem is fixed by now. Multiplayer was fun, singleplayer was still rubbish though no denying that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Yopaz said:
Worth a shot I guess. If I like it even just a little a 75% discount isgreat.
You know, I've bought several games off Steam that I really enjoyed for five bucks or less. I'm not sure "It's only five bucks" would be enough for me if I liked it just a little.