Anime Review: Aquarion

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Anime Review: Aquarion

Aquarion is a mecha anime that you'll probably like more than you thought you would at first. Probably.

Read Full Article

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
I've seen about 1/2 of this series and was not able to finish it. I never felt like I was missing anything, but I might just have to track down the rest of it now.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
Is the orgasmic sensation thing true? Because that would be hilarious.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Arrers said:
Yep, every time the ships merge into the giant mecha, the 3 pilots get the experience of a virtual threesome. Cheesy lines about it being so hot, amazing, etc are soon to follow. I kid you not. It's been awhile but I believe the story explanation has something to do with their souls touching. Although now that I think about it this adds a whole new level of creepy the brother and sister characters.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Arrers said:
It is, indeed, true.

My personal take on the series was that it was actually quite amusing when they were trying to play up the humorous elements of it, but whenever they tried to play up the drama they faceplanted faster than a cripple getting their crutches kicked out...and it felt just as embarrassing to watch.

Slycne said:
this adds a whole new level of creepy the brother and sister characters.
Especially when you consider the zeal with which the sister wanted to merge with her brother.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
Slycne said:
Arrers said:
Yep, every time the ships merge into the giant mecha, the 3 pilots get the experience of a virtual threesome. Cheesy lines about it being so hot, amazing, etc are soon to follow. I kid you not. It's been awhile but I believe the story explanation has something to do with their souls touching. Although now that I think about it this adds a whole new level of creepy the brother and sister characters.
Okay, I'm going to have to see this show.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Slycne said:
Arrers said:
^ this

It had me laughing so much. You'd expect them to stop making a big deal about merging in later episodes... but they don't. Even when there is five or so merges in an episode! Those poor pilots must feel so exhausted.

RollForInitiative said:
Slycne said:
this adds a whole new level of creepy the brother and sister characters.
Especially when you consider the zeal with which the sister wanted to merge with her brother.
This kind of made sense come the end of the series. Though, it did feel incredibly awkward the whole time getting there.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
Aquarion is unintentionally funny? This is the first time I've heard of this. I've always assumed it was a parody. Granted, I've only watched about 3/4th of it, but I should finish it soon enough.

jezzy

Jul 7, 2009
I always skip straight to the ending theme. Yui Makino is a sweetheart <3

Arella18

Apr 22, 2009
Yeah the orgasm thing is uber creepy...and it goes even creepier for the bro/sis...>.> I couldn't watch any more of the series cause...well I was laughin to hard to know what was going on.

trombone2007

Aug 14, 2008
The biggest problem that I have with Aquarion is that when one of the vectors got damaged in any way, Aquarion could still form. It seems like they're trying to mix in transforming jet planes and magical machine healing.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
I remember seeing the names of the episodes of this on Xbox's Anime channel and thinking "Either this show is trying to take itself to seriously, or the names are all jokes." After reading this review, I'm still not sure.

I'm almost tempted to watch it, but I'm afraid I'd just be bored since I'm generally not a fan of the mecha anime concept. I had to be forced to watch Eva just because the first thing I saw of it was a giant humanoid shaped robot and the first thing I did was look away.

Though interestingly that could also be considered a show that A: had some pacing issues (though not quite as bad as taking until the last 6 episodes to actually get going), B: took itself too seriously and C: was confusing and deliberately withholding of information. Somehow that show worked for me though. Could've been the finale... or any number of things. But I liked it.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Haven't finished this series yet but I do have to say watching it with subtitles is definitely the only way to watch this one the dubbed really does leave out alot of the story. After watching complete collection box 1 I have to say I really liked it so far it is definitely a little different and does not seem to take itself to seriously but there are good underlying story points to it.
The opening song and the closing songs are epic also.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Onmi said:
coldfrog said:
I remember seeing the names of the episodes of this on Xbox's Anime channel and thinking "Either this show is trying to take itself to seriously, or the names are all jokes." After reading this review, I'm still not sure.

I'm almost tempted to watch it, but I'm afraid I'd just be bored since I'm generally not a fan of the mecha anime concept. I had to be forced to watch Eva just because the first thing I saw of it was a giant humanoid shaped robot and the first thing I did was look away.

Though interestingly that could also be considered a show that A: had some pacing issues (though not quite as bad as taking until the last 6 episodes to actually get going), B: took itself too seriously and C: was confusing and deliberately withholding of information. Somehow that show worked for me though. Could've been the finale... or any number of things. But I liked it.
Eva struggled with funding all the way through to the end, add in the fact that Hideko Anno was off his Anti-Depressants and well... you start to understand how it went from serious if slightly light deconstruction of the mecha genre too "Lets see how much we can bend Shinji until he snaps"

If you ever look to get a more flowing new interpretation check out the Rebuild of Evangelion movies (As they are released) since Anno is off the depressants and has enough funding for the 4 movies.

Though I don't get how you don't like Giant Robots (Big mecha fan so the concept is ALIEN to me)
I absolutely refuse to watch Rebuild of Evangelion as a matter of general principle just because of that irritating new female Eva pilot with the obscenely ugly plugsuit.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
CantFaketheFunk said:
I absolutely refuse to watch Rebuild of Evangelion as a matter of general principle just because of that irritating new female Eva pilot with the obscenely ugly plugsuit.
I absolutely refuse to watch Rebuild of Evangelion as a matter of general principle just because it's Evangelion. You already know full well what my opinion of that series is. 0=)

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
RollForInitiative said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
I absolutely refuse to watch Rebuild of Evangelion as a matter of general principle just because it's Evangelion. You already know full well what my opinion of that series is. 0=)
Sounds like you're about as big of an Eva fan as I am...