The Skyrim/Dragon Age Baby

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The Skyrim/Dragon Age Baby

Blending the locations of Skyrim and the characters of Dragon Age 2 would make one damn fine RPG.

Read Full Article

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
As some one who has only played Skyrim I can only say that it would be interesting. You love the places in Skyrim yet for me its a little bit of ehhh. I wish the cities were much bigger than they are. If Windhelm was suppose to be the once capital and Solitude is suppose to be the capital then why are they so small. When I was first dropped into Skyrim I took a look at my map. I imaged the nine hold as being great cities. When I first got to white run, I thought that it would actually be true, yet I I went up north to Morthal and Dawnstart It got very disappointing. Solitude was one that had me very interested because it was set on a arch way, but I can to realize that it wasn't anything except for 2 streets and a castle on one side. I have no clue what the other games have been like because this is my first ever Elder scroll game as well. So I have nothing to compare them to.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
To be honest the game fusion I really want to see is a Pokemon game done by Bethesda (and yes I know that will never happen).

I believe that you are right in who should bring what to Dragon rim but I'm curious, who do you think should do the game play?

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
enzilewulf said:
As some one who has only played Skyrim I can only say that it would be interesting. You love the places in Skyrim yet for me its a little bit of ehhh. I wish the cities were much bigger than they are. If Windhelm was suppose to be the once capital and Solitude is suppose to be the capital then why are they so small. When I was first dropped into Skyrim I took a look at my map. I imaged the nine hold as being great cities. When I first got to white run, I thought that it would actually be true, yet I I went up north to Morthal and Dawnstart It got very disappointing. Solitude was one that had me very interested because it was set on a arch way, but I can to realize that it wasn't anything except for 2 streets and a castle on one side. I have no clue what the other games have been like because this is my first ever Elder scroll game as well. So I have nothing to compare them to.
Oblivion and Morrowind both had (significantly) larger cities - and more - than Skyrim, and a super city each, which were massive. I don't think that Skyrim lacks big cities for lack of effort though, but rather for reasons of lore. Still, it's a bit of a shame. Especially for my thief character, it would be so much cooler if the cities were bigger, and felt more alive.

GoodApprentice

Apr 27, 2010
I found the character-heavy elements of Dragon Age very appealing for the first playthrough. My attempt at a second playthrough ended when I realized how annoying it gets endlessly wading through all that now-stale conversation. I don't mind the Scroll's low-maintenance approach to its followers. If someone dies or becomes annoying, you can drop them like a sack of taters.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Bobbity said:
enzilewulf said:
Oblivion and Morrowind both had (significantly) larger cities - and more - than Skyrim, and a super city each, which were massive. I don't think that Skyrim lacks big cities for lack of effort though, but rather for reasons of lore. Still, it's a bit of a shame. Especially for my thief character, it would be so much cooler if the cities were bigger, and felt more alive.
Ohh don't get me wrong, Its wasn't lack of effort, the cities might not of been huge but that really didn't effect the level of immersion I felt when playing the game.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
I frequently have the exact same wish. While playing Morrowind, "If only Bioware wrote the dialog." While playing Dragon Age, "If only Bethesda made the environments." That being said, I think Bioware has a leg up on Bethesda in bringing me the ultimate RPG: Mass Effect 2 was both amazingly written and had excellent, detailed environments (if much more closed).

Maybe Dragon Age 3 will bring us the fantasy nirvana we crave...

HoradricNoob

Jan 31, 2010
My feelings exactly, I have lived in and loved Tamriel ever since I saw a buddy playing Morrowind on his shiny new xbox and said "Yes. Nay, Hell yes. Give me some of that." and rushed out to buy the game on PC.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Wow, fancy that. My friend and I had always been talking about something like this.

Small world

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
Can anyone identify the city used in the screen shot? I'm shamed to admit that I don't recognize it.

OT: That would be good, but we'd still have another bioware problem in the games. Namely someone who is meant to be an uberbadass, yet dies like everyone else in just as much time.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Sucal said:
Can anyone identify the city used in the screen shot? I'm shamed to admit that I don't recognize it.
The Imperial City from Oblivion.
OP: I'll just insert things about DA:O instead. I love Sten, Wynne, and Morrigan. There are a handful of characters I remember and will remember. Lucien Lachance and Cicero come to mind.

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
I wholeheartely agree with this article. Shouldn't be too much to ask from especially Bethesda though, since what you're asking is basically The Elder Scrolls with the kind of characters and stories typically found in Fallout 3 and New Vegas.. games that have been described as 'Oblivion with guns' waaaay too often.

Fifty-One

Sep 13, 2010
I'd agree. Right now the characters that have stuck out the most in my head were the family that lived in the Lighthouse between Dawnstar and Winterhold. And they were dead before I got there.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Aye, hence why I much much MUCH prefer Bioware games to Skyrim. Interactions with other characters are better RP material than interaction with the environment. Also much more developing your own character in Bioware games, which the lack of isn't such a bad thing in Skyrim, it's just something I greatly want in an RPG.

The companion system was a big fail in Skyrim. If you look at FO:NV, All the companions were awesome. This is because each one had a story, and there weren't about a 100 of them.

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
I would love for this to happen, especially if we could take Dragon Age's pause and play fluid 'turn/time based' party strategy game play and give The Elder Scrolls some really engaging combat, rather then the amusing combat it carries around now. But that's a bias I have for thinking Dragon Age 2's combat is the absolute best thing ever.

This is also a good move for Dragon Age. All of those super padded repeat caves and their guarded in rotating shift denizens could have a real home. The Elder Scrolls leans a lot on recycled assets for its sheer size, but I enjoy searching around extra environments and they don't force me to trudge through a hundred bodies to get from quest point to quest point if I just want some story progression. It would streamline the narrative experience while actually adding more side quest availability rather then just taking it out and making a shorter game.

You (may?) have to admit that assaulting a bandit's lair 4 man tactical style is a lot more fun then *crouch, roll, roll, roll, mouse 1 and 2=15 to 30x damage+one handed perksx2 hits(and Plus power attack scalingx3 hits if you know it's big enough to live 4000 damage (It isn't, ever)), Repeat.

I would love to have "Dear Varric, please learn to parry. Love, your innards." instead of "Patrolling the mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter" or "I'm sworn to carry your burdens."

There is probably more I could ramble on about but I'll stop myself there.
Greatest game idea ever.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Witcher 2.

...well, not really. Dialogues are too shallow, and locations are too small. But it has the storytelling quality of a really good Bioware game*, and the eye candy of a really good Bethesada game.

*Dragon Age 2 is not a good Bioware game.

EDIT: Oh, and how about Human Revolution? That has very good Bioware-style dialogue, and is actually much better at authentic nonlinearity than any Elder Scrolls game I've played. Supporting cast is not really the focus, though, so it still doesn't fit the bill.