Skyrim Creation Kit Out in January, Goodbye Backwards Dragons

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Skyrim Creation Kit Out in January, Goodbye Backwards Dragons

Finally, modders will have the full toolset available to create whatever they wish in Skyrim.

When Oblivion was released in 2006, Bethesda put nearly all of their software tools used to create the game on the disc. That was not the case for Skyrim's release on November 11th, and Bethesda didn't say when such tools would be made available to the public, if ever. Thankfully, today the company announced that the toolset - dubbed the Creation Kit - will be available for download sometime in January. Further, the Kit will hook into Valve's Steam Workshop which will allow modders to share and rate other people's mods much easier than collating them from various mod websites. Oh, and those pesky backwards flying dragons [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114453-Skyrim-Patch-Makes-Dragons-Fly-Backwards] will be fixed as soon as is humanly possible.

"Beginning in January, PC players will be able to download the same development tools we used at Bethesda Game Studios to create Skyrim," reads the post on the Bethesda Blog. "In tandem with the Creation Kit's release, we will roll out a new Wiki and videos to help you get started."

The Steam Workshop integration sounds cool because you'll be able to pick mods from any device connected to the web, and those mods will download when you boot up Skyrim on Steam. "Like a live Netflix queue, when you fire up Skyrim, mods you flagged will be automatically downloaded and installed."

The post also outlined the plan for future bug fixes and kinda-sort explains/apologizes for the bugs in Patch 1.2 as they prepare the next update. "Among other things, the update will fix issues like magic resistance not calculating properly and the rare, amazing backwards flying dragon," the post read. "We've also realized that with the millions upon millions of people playing Skyrim, we need to treat our updates with greater care. If we get too aggressive trying to fix a minor issue, we run a risk of breaking something larger in a game like this."

PC players take heart, Bethesda will be rolling updates out to you much faster than your console brethren. "We'll be releasing an incremental update next week. We anticipate it will be up on PC first, and then hit PS3 and Xbox 360 later in the week. Overall, you should expect updates to be hitting the PC and Steam earlier and more often, as that's a process we control. Console updates will follow, as they must be certified and processed by those manufacturers."

While Skyrim certainly isn't bug-free, I haven't experienced any of the soul-crushing glitches that so many others have. Hopefully, any issues people experience will be patched out as quickly as possible.

If not, the modders will be able to fix them when the Creation Kit lands in January.

Source: BethBlog [http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/12/01/skyrim-what-were-working-on/]

sinterklaas

Dec 6, 2010
Steam integration sounds nice. I'm not a modder however so while it sounds nice I don't actually know if it's a good thing. Regardless, regular modsites can still be used.

Weekly patches sounds awesome though!

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
I'm just anxious to know if they've fix the 360 glitch that breaks the Thieves Guild quest line. I'd really like to play a run of that guild at some point.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Yay!
Now to spend hours browsing and downloading mods to end up never using them!

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
I still have yet to update my Xbox version. Might as well do it until I hear of it fixing stuff.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Huzzah, i was wondering when the modkit would come. Cant wait for the late christmas present of riding dragons!

as for the patches coming out earlier on pc.. well lets just hope they actually fix the game instead of making them worse this time -.-

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
This game is buggy as all hell.
When this game is patched by the developers, it is inadvertantly broken as well.
This game's players are relying on modders to fix the glitches before Bethesda do.

And yet this game has a HUGE fan base.

WHY?! Why do we still play your games Bethesda?! Seriously, only Bethesda can get away with something like this. Then again, their games are SO good that people are willing to overlook transgressions so serious that they would otherwise cripple any other dev studio.

PureIrony

Slightly Sarcastic At All Times
Aug 12, 2010
And I just had to buy console. Granted, it wouldn't have run very well on my PC, but still...

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
When this game is patched by the developers, it is inadvertantly broken as well.
This game's players are relying on modders to fix the glitches before Bethesda do.

WHY?! Why do we still play your games Bethesda?! Seriously, only Bethesda can get away with something like this. Then again, their games are SO good that people are willing to overlook transgressions so serious that they would otherwise cripple any other dev studio.
Tell me one other studio that gives us games with area's to move in that are this large, that give us practically never ending gameplay, AND don't expect us to pay for half the content on the disc through day one DLC. Not to mention if they look more at shivering isles and the morrowind DLC, give us mini expansions that are practically as good as the main game itself.?

Oh and Obsidian doesn't count. Their games are even more crippled by even worse bugs, and most of the tools and assets come from whoever is outsourcing to their sequel recently.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Still on the fence of whether to purchase this game or not.... It looks amazing and it looks buggy and my computer is not very stable right now...

I think I'll wait till January when the creation kit comes out and 'hopefully' the bugs will be less severe.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Sucal said:
Tell me one other studio that gives us games with area's to move in that are this large, that give us practically never ending gameplay, AND don't expect us to pay for half the content on the disc through day one DLC. Not to mention if they look more at shivering isles and the morrowind DLC, give us mini expansions that are practically as good as the main game itself.?
Any MMO developer, but I'll point at Blizzard with World of Warcraft since they're the most obvious.

hazabaza1 said:
Yay!
Now to spend hours browsing and downloading mods to end up never using them!
Are...are you in my PC? Are you in my head?

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:

I think you answered your own question there at the end. Bethesda's games are just so damn good that we don't care. And Skyrim's actually really stable for a Bethesda game as long as you don't install the 1.2 patch.

OT: Great news. Can't wait for all the mods, mostly an inventory mod that allows me to actually sort my backpack.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Lost In The Void said:
I'm just anxious to know if they've fix the 360 glitch that breaks the Thieves Guild quest line. I'd really like to play a run of that guild at some point.
What glitch is that? And does it happen on the PS3 as well? Oh, I better not be cheated out of my trophy.

I want them to fix the armor resistances. Hell, I want them to fix resistance period. I am getting stomped by dragons and normal mages alike. I had gear that resisted everything rather nicely. Hitting me with an ice attack was like flicking my arm. Then the patch came out. Not only do armor resistances no longer work, but it seems like drinking potions no longer work either. Dragons now strike fear into my soul, something they haven't done since I was level 10ish, and I'm level 56 now.
Please fix this bug. I can live with everything else (would prefer to have them fixed though), but this needed to be changed back.

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
Amnestic said:
Any MMO developer, but I'll point at Blizzard with World of Warcraft since they're the most obvious.
Except that all... except maybe guildwars expect you to pay for all the stuff on disc multiple times. Be it by World of Warcrafts style, where upon they force you to pay a monthly fee to use the stuff on the disc. Or its a 'free to play' game where they force you to pay for individual things on the disc.

Heck, sometimes its both, like Eve.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Sucal said:
Proverbial Jon said:

Oh and Obsidian doesn't count. Their games are even more crippled by even worse bugs, and most of the tools and assets come from whoever is outsourcing to their sequel recently.
Look, I love Bethesda, but they have no excuse for being this terrible at play testing and fixing problems.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Proverbial Jon said:

I have a better question: why is Bethesda given free reign on this while Obsidian gets blasted for it?

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Steam integration with a mobile device?
New patch?
Mod support next month?

FUCK YEAH! Skyrim, you're going back on the Christmas wishlist!