Team Reassembles Shredded Document, Wins Prize

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Team Reassembles Shredded Document, Wins Prize

Don't just shred your bank statements, you have to blow them up!

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is the United States' premier research agency for technology used in the military. Many of the innovations DARPA has produced were created using the challenge model (including this here internet) where specific tasks must be accomplished. DARPA has taken to issuing some of the challenges to the public, like on October 27th when it the DARPA's Shredder Challenge was proposed. After only 33 days, a team calling itself "All Your Shreds Are Belong To U.S." successfully reassembled five sheets of shredded paper using custom algorithms and claimed the $50,000 prize.

[gallery=562]

"Lots of experts were skeptical that a solution could be produced at all let alone within the short time frame," said Dan Kaufman from DARPA. "The most effective approaches were not purely computational or crowd-sourced, but used a combination blended with some clever detective work. We are impressed by the ingenuity this type of competition elicits."

The challenge will hopefully provide applications immediately useful by the U.S. military. "Today's troops often confiscate the remnants of destroyed documents in war zones, but reconstructing them is a daunting task. DARPA's Shredder Challenge called upon computer scientists, puzzle enthusiasts and anyone else who likes solving complex problems to compete for up to $50,000 by piecing together a series of shredded documents."

How did the awesomely named "All Your Shreds Are Belong To U.S." (according to the leaderboard [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qItugh-fFgg], "All Your Shreds Are Belong To U.S." was the only team to come close to finishing the challenge. And it only took them 600+ man-hours in 33 days!

Let me be the first of many to say congratulations to the winning team. You are way better at figuring this kind of stuff out than I am and deserve your place among the Starfighters in the Rylan Star League.

But please, don't look at all of the credit card bills and financial statements I just shredded. Thanks!

Source: DARPA [http://www.darpa.mil/NewsEvents/Releases/2011/12/02_.aspx]

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Moral of the Story: If you want your Documents destroyed for good then just use an incinerator, or a cigarette lighter, or a match, or chuck them in water...

Just use something that isn't a Shredder basically.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
This will just lead to bankruptcy in the shredder industry.

Just what USA needed.

USA! USA! USA!

theonecookie

Apr 14, 2009
Bah, who need a shredder a bucket of water works a lot better good luck putting mushy goo back together

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Drat! I knew I should have used something better than a manual shredder to dispose of draft world domination plans! Brb burning the local landfill.

DannyJBeckett

Jun 29, 2011
Octogunspunk said:
Drat! I knew I should have used something better than a manual shredder to dispose of draft world domination plans! Brb burning the local landfill.
But, if you shredded them, that means they were no good, so you're no threat to anyone anyway?

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
I heard about this challenge. I didn't think it would be solved so quickly though.

HeatproofShAdOw

Apr 12, 2011
Who shreds sensitive documents today? It's all about the burning of the persons secret military plans.

*shifty eyes*

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
DannyJBeckett said:
Octogunspunk said:
But, if you shredded them, that means they were no good, so you're no threat to anyone anyway?
No, I just made better plans. And more importantly, on illuminated manuscript, which is so much cooler.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Seriously, evil villains... your giant vats of acid can be used for more than just subjecting British agents to pointlessly complicated executions.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Bathtub + water + bleach + sensitive information = privacy.

I also tear things up and put the pieces in separate trash cans, and empty the cans based on when they get full rather than it being garbage day. Been doing it for years, mostly because I know that if I were inclined to go through people's trash, I'm enough of an obsessive that things being torn up wouldn't stop me from piecing them together. Gotta assume that it might be the same for a few of those who are so inclined.

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
Medical grade incinerator. If it can reduce bone to ash, what chance does paper stand? I then dissolve the ash in sulphuric acid...then I burn the acid.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Honestly, I don't think it'd be that hard as long as you know what the non shredded version looks like.

Simply gather all the peices, mark each one with a identfier lay them flat, and scan them using a printer.

Then digitally copy, rotate, and past the peices in photoshop/gimp, then do the same to the actual peices once you have it done on the computer.