Review: BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Review: BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger

BlazBlue takes the 2D fighter archetype, turns everything way past 11, and proceeds to rock your face off.

Read Full Article

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
Argh. I really want this game now.

Admittedly, I've always wanted a Guilty Gear game, so that isn't surprising. The question is now whether or not it will come out in Australia and if it does, when.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
GG was a really cool fighting game, and it is the lolar opposite to SSBB, where each character has the exact same moves.

I hope this game gets the recognition it deservesm especially considering what happened to the design team.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Nice review, also in the video your voice really wasn't what I expected it to be, it's almost telemarketer-ish.

But I want this game bad, I loved Guilty Gear. I guess I'll just have to wait for them to port it to PC, or sprite rip so I can drop it into M.U.G.E.N., but it wouldn't be the same.
randommaster said:
GG was a really cool fighting game, and it is the lolar opposite to SSBB, where each character has the exact same moves.

I hope this game gets the recognition it deservesm especially considering what happened to the design team.
Meh that's far from true really. The roster in Smash Bros is extremely varied.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
As much as I love Guilty Gear, I have grown tired of the same characters. Going to give BlazBlue a try.

Viruzzo

Jun 10, 2009
Though I doubt I will be able to put my hands on it in Italy, I really look forward to this game... I hope the gameplay improvements make up for the decreased sillyness compared to GG.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Nice review, also in the video your voice really wasn't what I expected it to be, it's almost telemarketer-ish.

But I want this game bad, I loved Guilty Gear. I guess I'll just have to wait for them to port it to PC, or sprite rip so I can drop it into M.U.G.E.N., but it wouldn't be the same.
randommaster said:

You misunderstand me. It's not about the roster, but the individual character's moves. Each character in SSBB has the exact same controls. They have different move, but the same controls. GG, and now BB, have a very wide variety of inouts that varies from character to character.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Funk, you forgot to tell us that the ninja shouts everything he does. Everything. Even when he escapes from a throw.

But yes, I'm pissed off that the 360 version of this is region locked and there's no confirmed date for the PAL release in horizon. What the fuck, people? Who's benefitting from that sort of crap, anyway?

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
randommaster said:
ChromeAlchemist said:

randommaster said:

NYou misunderstand me. It's not about the roster, but the individual character's moves. Each character in SSBB has the exact same controls. They have different move, but the same controls. GG, and now BB, have a very wide variety of inouts that varies from character to character.
Aye, I see what you mean but it's a different game really, it's meant to be simple to pick up and hard to master. It's more about the effects of the moves and not the complexity of their input. But anyway this isn't about Smash Bros, this is about BlazBlue, which looks just great.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Woe Is You said:
Funk, you forgot to tell us that the ninja shouts everything he does. Everything. Even when he escapes from a throw.

But yes, I'm pissed off that the 360 version of this is region locked and there's no confirmed date for the PAL release in horizon. What the fuck, people? Who's benefitting from that sort of crap, anyway?
Are some games locked and others aren't on the 360? If so, it's probably coming to Europe soon enough, hold tight.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
Are some games locked and others aren't on the 360? If so, it's probably coming to Europe soon enough, hold tight.
Yup. Ghostbusters isn't released here, for instance, but you can get the US version since that one is region free. There are plenty other examples as well. Lost Odyssey is another good example.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
randommaster said:
ChromeAlchemist said:

randommaster said:

NYou misunderstand me. It's not about the roster, but the individual character's moves. Each character in SSBB has the exact same controls. They have different move, but the same controls. GG, and now BB, have a very wide variety of inouts that varies from character to character.
Aye, I see what you mean but it's a different game really, it's meant to be simple to pick up and hard to master. It's more about the effects of the moves and not the complexity of their input. But anyway this isn't about Smash Bros, this is about BlazBlue, which looks just great.
You disgaree with me and I must argue! raghasihoajsg.!?

I'm a big fan of both sereies', and the diffenence from other fighters is the main reason.

I wonder if we're going to get another character like Bridget.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
randommaster said:

I'm a big fan of both sereies', and the diffenence from other fighters is the main reason.

For the preservation of many young people's childhoods, I pray we do not.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
randommaster said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
randommaster said:
ChromeAlchemist said:

randommaster said:

Carl Clover fills the "aww cute little kid" quota, but he's recognizably male. (Unless they pull a reverse Bridget and he's actually a girl...)

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
Carl Clover fills the "aww cute little kid" quota, but he's recognizably male. (Unless they pull a reverse Bridget and he's actually a girl...)
That's possible. This is from the guys responsible for Bridget after all. I want this game. Too bad I have no 360. I suddenly got the urge to eat steamed buns after watching the review supplement. Does that make me a deviant?

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
The thing I love about this game is the same thing I love about the Street Fighter games, as it lacks one of the things I loathe about Soul Calibre. It has a simple moves list that you can learn fairly quickly so that you can focus more on practicing your timing and how to combo moves together. Unlike with Soul Calibre where every character's moves list is akin to an encyclopaedia, and if even one of those moves can't be recalled at the top of your head in the heat of battle, then you're going to miss-out on a key advantage to work around your opponent's attack (or defense).

I have limited time with most fighting games as I don't currently own any current-gen consoles, but I still like to play them with my friends, and I always feel that I'm at a massive handicap when my friends are all unleashing a flurry of attacks, and I can only remember a handful of them. Meanwhile when we play Blazblue or Street Fighter, it's just a matter of learning my timing, so when I lose it's more about me needing to learn my timing better, and less about needing to study a bible-sized User's Manual so I can find-out what one move I should have used in some given situation.

Zera

Sep 12, 2007
Though forgivable, 12 characters is stil pretty slim, but I'll give the benefit of a doubt since this is a start of a new series. Its really a great game. I just wish my freinds would stop complaining about my main character Nu...

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Zera said:
Though forgivable, 12 characters is stil pretty slim, but I'll give the benefit of a doubt since this is a start of a new series. Its really a great game. I just wish my freinds would stop complaining about my main character Nu...
I play Nu, and she's pretty damn powerful. Her C attacks chain into each other easily (2C -> 3C is a guaranteed combo and knockdown) and her Drive can lead into powerful combos from across the stage. Also she can do a nigh instant low hit from behind. There's a reason she tops tier lists :p

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Damn, yet another game to add to the list of "do want once I'm working." I really hope I get hired soon.