Big Battlefield 3 PC Patch Coming Tomorrow

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Big Battlefield 3 PC Patch Coming Tomorrow

A massive and mandatory patch for the PC version of Battlefield 3 is coming out tomorrow.

Tomorrow's PC patch for Battlefield 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Battlefield-3-Pc/dp/B002I0HJZO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1323119567&sr=8-4] does an awful lot of bug-squashing and gameplay-tweaking, but two gigabytes is still uncomfortably huge, especially for gamers stuck with less-than-ideal internet connections. But the meaty bulk is apparently not just due to all the fixing being done but because it also contains most of the Back to Karkand map pack that comes out next week.

It's kind of a weird approach, given that not everybody is going to want the map pack in the first place, and even DICE acknowledged that the strategy is less than perfect, saying, "This is not ideal, so we aim to make potential DLC content in the future as optional downloads."

But it is what it is, and this time around it's a whopper. Here's what you get for your gigs:

Bugfixes:

Fixed a problem with spawn timer now showing blue border on startup and lost spawn point
Fixed a problem where player who joined queuing on End of round got spawn screen stuck on screen, but unable to do anything with it untill next round loaded
Fixed a problem where camera would change to 3rd person on killcam when killcam was turned off in server settings
Fixed stat references on several dogtags
Fixed for surveillance ribbon not counting TUGS
Fixed a missing combat area lines on the minimap for Grand Bazaar conquest small
Moved a tank spawn in US base on Caspian Border so it would not be destroyed by a falling tree
Fixed a problem where placing C4 with the russians soldier was playing US faction VO
Fixed a problem where TV guided missiles could be shot into its own helicopter and destroy it
Fixed a problem when attempting to fire lock on weapons without a target
Tweaked the chat, it should now be a bit easier to read
Fixed several vehicles that did not properly shoot rockets and guns towards their predictive sights
Fixed the G17 Supressed Laser not working properly
Added alternate HUD colors to help colorblinds
Added a network interpolation setting. This allows users with good bandwidth reduce latency, but might increase some stuttering. The user can find what works best for his connection by tweaking the slider
Increased the Spawn protection radius on TDM
Fixed a problem with smoke on land vehicles, Missiles should now miss more often
Fixed a problem where users could end up with IRNV scope in any vehicle
Fixed a problem where player dies if vaulting over a ledge and into water while sprinting
Fixed several crashes and increased general stability
Fixed a problem where the user was unable to revive two players that have the bodies one over the other
Fixed so you can assign an axis and use as a digital input. This makes it possible for the player (on pc) to assign one of the sticks on a gameped to be used for throttle/brake
Fixed a problem with the Kill camera acting up when suiciding from parachute
Fixed air radar was showing to much - now lasertagged, heatsignature above threshold, enemy missiles and capture points are only visible on air radar
Fixed a problem where the game would enter a technical hang if the user pressed pause menu and tilde at the same time
Fixed a problem where you could get green flashes on screen
You can now reassign cycle weapons
Fixed so the weapon zooms automatically after bipod deploy is gone when using zoom toggle
Fixed a problem where the parachute would stay stuck in air if the owner was killed

Balance Tweaks:

Fixed several weapons so they are properly suppressed and hide the player on the minimap when fired
Tweaked Tactical Light so it is not as blinding over longer ranges
Tweaked the IRNV scope so it is limited to usage only at close range
Reduced heat masking effectiveness of Spec Ops Camo
Fixed a bug where Ammo spec would give additional 40mm grenades instead of Frag spec
Increased the number of additional 40mm grenades from Frag spec
Fixed so AT mines only live for 20 seconds after a player dies to prevent infinite mines
Increased the Time to Live on sniper caliber rounds to allow extreme distance shots
Fixed several weapon descriptions, calibers, and fire rates. The weapons themselves have not changed
Fixed so the M9 and MP443 pistol can be equipped by the opposing faction when it is unlocked at 100 kills
Fixed Laser Guided Missiles missing their targets if the target is moving too fast
Reduced the effectiveness of Stealth on Air Vehicles
Reduced the effectiveness of Beam Scanning for Jets
Reduced the damage done to Armored Vehicles and Infantry from AA guns
Increased the damage RPGs and Tank shells do to AA vehicles
Slightly decreased the accuracy for all weapons on fully automatic, burst fire is now preferable at mid to long range
Increased the effective accuracy of long bursts for LMGs when using a bipod
Slightly increased the range of the 44magnum bullets
Increased the close range damage of 4.6x30mm and 5.7x28mm bullets
Increased the reload time of the Mortar from 3.5sec to 4.8sec and increased the time it takes before a shell hits the ground
Reduced the aimed accuracy bonus given by a Suppressor for the MP7, P90, PP2000, PP-19, and UMP45
Increased the range and FOV for designating targets with the SOFLAM and vehicle Laser Designators
Decreased the effectiveness of 12g FRAG ammo when equipped on semi-automatic and automatic shotguns
Slightly Increased the power of Fighter Jet Cannons against all vehicle targets, especially Helicopters
Decreased the power of Miniguns against Jets and Helicopters
Increased the power of Stingers against Jets
Flares reload times for Jets and Helicopter Gunners have been increased
Tweaked the AN94 so its burst fire better conveys the real world advantage offered by this weapon
Added Single Shot to the AN94 as an available fire mode
Slightly increased the recoil on the M416 and removed the Burst Fire mode (this weapon incorrectly had burst fire, which was not authentic)
Tweaked the spawns for TDM on Kharg Island, Grand Bazaar, Caspian Border, Seine Crossing, Operation Firestorm, Damavand Peak and Noshahar Canals
Moved a tank spawn in US base on Caspian Border so it would not be destroyed by a falling tree
Tweaked the Gas station Capture area on Conquest on Caspian Border
Tweaked the max vehicle height on Noshahar Canals

DICE also said it's returning the number of players required to start both ranked and unranked game rounds back to one in response to complaints from individuals and ranked server provider companies. "Our plan for the future is to introduce a warm-up mode, where players can move about and play the game, but with scoring disabled; then, when the number of players goes above the threshold - that's when the real round starts," the studio said.

Full details on the upcoming patch are available on the Battlelog [http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/gate/?returnUrl=|bf3|forum|threadview|2832654489494744784|].

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-05-hefty-battlefield-3-pc-patch-due-tomorrow]

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
I guess...Huzza! though even this patch might not help me get actually lag-free servers...
So playing the game might still be yuck for me online.
Which is weird as I always have an fps of 50 and I always pick 30 Ping servers. -.-

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
Favorite part of this entire post.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
I certainly hopes this fixes the incompatibilities with my Nvidia 460GTX. I have grown tired of constantly getting severe artifacts all the time. There are a lot of 460 and 560 card owners that are seriously pissed. Nobody has even told us if it is Nvidia's or Dice's problem.

foxlovingfreak

Sep 9, 2009
TheJwalkR said:
Wait, why do you have a screenshot form BF: BC2?
Oh man I can't belive I did not notice that untill you pointed it out.

As for the patch I am amazed how many problems had to be fixed in the pc version. I thought by clicking on this it would mention 3 or 4 but a whole page! Im stil in shock.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
How about actually making the guided missiles do some damage. That one would be a welcome change in my book.

Or having the old damage factor for stingers, the choppers are unstoppable now.

The Atomic Irishman

Oct 11, 2009
wooty said:
How about actually making the guided missiles do some damage. That one would be a welcome change in my book.

Or meet in the middle, Stinger and SA were way to strong at the start and could peg a chopper/jet for almost 80% of their damage in one shot. And about a month ago a recent patch turned choppers/jets back into the death machines they were in BF2. perhaps bump the damage for Singers to about 45% or more. And leave aircraft as is.

silverbullet1989

Jun 7, 2009
Considering the state of bad company 2 on the pc when that came out, i dont think dice are doing tht bad of a job at getting things up and running smoothly.. ive not had any crashes at all, and only occasionally do i get the connection to EA lost problem... Just alot of balancing and bug squashing to do.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
If this patch got rid of Origin, I'd be tempted to buy the game.

P.S. Thanks

N3vans

Apr 14, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Decreased the effectiveness of 12g FRAG ammo when equipped on semi-automatic and automatic shotguns
Well thank christ for that. CQB stops being fun when you're constantly on the business end of some prick with an automatic noob-cannon.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
So.... they made the DLC part of the patch? What kind of brilliant idea is that? That if you force people to download it anyways, they'll be more inclined to buy the activation code?

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
The Atomic Irishman said:
wooty said:

Or meet in the middle, Stinger and SA were way to strong at the start and could peg a chopper/jet for almost 80% of their damage in one shot. And about a month ago a recent patch turned choppers/jets back into the death machines they were in BF2. perhaps bump the damage for Singers to about 45% or more. And leave aircraft as is.
The old way of having one stinger disable a vehicle was good enough for me, hitting it once the pilot stops spamming flares. Still gives you time to either bail out, set it down for repairs or use the extinguisher. But yeah, 45-50% damage would be ok, after all these buggers can take out a chopper in one hit in real life.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
They forgot the most important bug. Removing E <url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114522-EAs-Online-Passes-Have-a-Limited-Shelf-Life>A from the equation.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
IRNV is nerfed, good good, slower flare reload, good good, reduced accuracy of auto fire good good, mines despawn when you are killed... awwwwwwww!

Bad Cluster

Nov 22, 2009
No balance tweaks for MAV bots? Yeah, waiting till next patch.
Don't know what MAV is?
Watch this video:
That was Beta footage, yet this remains true to this day (minus C4 cruise missile mode).

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Hope this patch allows me to play the game. Last patch broke it -- couldn't load an MP game up at all.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
So.... they made the DLC part of the patch? What kind of brilliant idea is that? That if you force people to download it anyways, they'll be more inclined to buy the activation code?
Well, considering pretty much everyone who owns it now, got the DLC for free, not that terrible of an idea. Still not a great idea, but not nearly as bad as you're making it sound.

])rStrangelove

Oct 25, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Slightly increased the recoil on the M416 and removed the Burst Fire mode (this weapon incorrectly had burst fire, which was not authentic)
I LOLed. Authentic firemodes in an arcade shooter. Sheer irony.