Nerdy Menorahs Light Up for Hanukkah

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Nerdy Menorahs Light Up for Hanukkah

Just in case eight nights of presents aren't already memorable enough, you can spice up the Festival of Lights with Disney, Star Wars, or sparkly animal menorahs.

Up until relatively recently, wildest menorahs [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanukkah] out there.

[gallery=567]

Disney princesses? Check. Flowery lizards and sparkly, purple rhinos? Double check. Whether your tastes skew towards steampunk or Star Trek, Hello Kitty or X-Men, there's a lot you can do with nine candle holders and a little creativity. Megan S. of the blog Stellar Four scoured the depths of the internet to find this small treasure trove of Hanukkah kitsch, but with fifteen days left, there's still plenty of time to make your own menorah with whatever trappings you choose. Tired of the old tile-and-clay menorah you made in Hebrew school? Swap it out for nine incarnations of Doctor Who or the cast of Super Mario Bros. or the Fellowship of the Ring (make sure that Gandalf is the shamash. He has a way with light). Be sure to post your creations in the forums.

As December 25 approaches, there are sure to be plenty of creative convergences of nerd culture and Christmas, but it's good to remember that December is chock full of holidays, from Kwanzaa to Festivus (for the rest of us [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS7-jcsB_WQ]). For all of our Jewish readers, you have until December 20 to craft a menorah whose tale will be retold for eight crazy nights. Everyone else, channel the spirit of whatever holiday you celebrate and make something marvelous!

Source: Stellar Four [http://www.stellarfour.com/]

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
lol Kwanzaa is a joke. As for this, no. Hanukkah is not like Christmas and I hate the idea of people trying to make it similar (commercialized)

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Finally a gift for the nerdy Jew without good taste!

Alright, the steampunk one is awesome but Star Trek heads? That's like instead of a tree me getting a cardboard cut-out of William Shatner to decorate and place my presents under.
Wait... anyone know where I can get one?

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Quaxar said:
Finally a gift for the nerdy Jew without good taste!

Alright, the steampunk one is awesome but Star Trek heads? That's like instead of a tree me getting a cardboard cut-out of William Shatner to decorate and place my presents under.
Wait... anyone know where I can get one?
There was only enough Shatner Talent to act for one day, yet he managed to act for the full eight days.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Does anyone else find the Disney Princess menorah hilarious, considering that Walt Disney was supposedly anti-semitic?

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Neat! I'm not Jewish, but I really like these, especially the steampunk, light saber and Star Wars menorahs in particular.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I love the steampunk one and really, really want it for the office. But the sparkly rhino is pretty damn fantastic, too.