EA's Theme Park Can Cost More Than Attending a Real One

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
EA's Theme Park Can Cost More Than Attending a Real One

The classic amusement park simulator is getting a free-to-play reboot, but can still cost an arm and a leg to play.

A few years back, Electronic Arts suggested it was reviving some of the classic franchises produced by Peter Molyneux's old company Bullfrog Productions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93806-EA-Reviving-Classic-Bullfrog-Games]. While it might be a while longer before we see the likes of Wing Commander and Populous, EA has recently brought back Theme Park, the quirky and humorous amusement park simulator that let players build their own versions of Universal Studios or Disney World. Unfortunately, fans nostalgic for Bullfrog's classic title will probably be sorely disappointed to hear that EA is releasing the game under a limited and surprisingly costly "free to play" model.

Developed for iOS devices, the reboot of Theme Park gives players a small amusement park where most of the framework (walkways, trash cans, etc) has been placed, and can select from lots of varying size to set up shops and rides. As players level up and gain experience, they can expand their park to include larger attractions such as roller coasters and Ferris wheels. However, players can only earn experience points by tapping repeatedly on existing attractions every few moments (a slow and tedious process at best), and most of the game's attractions are locked behind the higher levels.

Additionally, the interesting roller coasters require "tickets", the game's premium currency that can be acquired by shelling out actual cash. In order to access some of the lower-end, locked attractions, players would be looking at dropping upwards of $60 dollars USD or more for a single attraction for their digital theme park.

Compared to how you could attend a real theme park, such as Six Flags [http://www.kingsdominion.com/shop/shopping_general_admission.cfm] for just over half the price at $35 USD, the premium costs of Theme Park are rather excessive to say the least.

Currently the game is available in Canada via the region's iTunes store, and will more than likely be making its way south to the US market in a few months.

Source: Destructoid [http://blog.games.com/2011/12/05/theme-park-ios-preview/]

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
I normally give EA some slack, most people working for them aren't douche-bags so it's unfair to blame them as a whole for their CEO's but really? No one during production or early marketing saw the prices and didn't call BS on it?

Apr 28, 2008
Well what do you expect from a company that has subscription fees and DLC [http://www.destructoid.com/oh-ea-subscription-charges-added-to-tetris-mobile-app-217054.phtml] for fucking Tetris.

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
I don't know what's worse. This, or those microtransaction prices they shoved into EVE.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
The item is worth what the customer will pay for it...

This isn't EA being evil, this is them being exactly as reasonable as their customers. Which is how it should be.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
WMDogma said:
While it might be a while longer before we see the likes of Wing Commander and Populous
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/wing_commander_1_2

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/populous

Once again, GOG is here to save the day and make everyone else look like pathetic tools. I always thought Roller Coaster Tycoon was better than Theme Park anyway, but that's just my opinion.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
kiri2tsubasa said:
If it is like other f2p games I have played that use micro transactions then it is logical to assume tha the tickets are not the only way to get the rides. The other way is by using a large amount of in game currency that you can easily (relatively speaking) acquire.
Unlike past examples of the "art", there are no free alternatives here.

Quite honestly, EA has already gone straight off the deep end. The forum debacle, the origin disaster, the Tetris (and need for speed - I'm still trying to get a refund for my lost products) incident, and now this. It's like the entire company has been taken over by marketing executives and boardroom committees, and the last true programmer left a few months back.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Did someone move a decimal somewhere? Because $6.00 sounds high, but still better, but $60 is just insane.

Oh well, don't have any iOS devices, so I can't play it anyways.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Anyone remember the black blobbish announcer guy in theme park world?

Well im pretty sure he is laughing in a "mwhahahahaha" manner after reading this.

nonl33t m4st3r

Oct 31, 2009
Who thought this was a good idea? 60 bucks for one item? That's ridiculous; no one in their right mind would pay a new games' worth for an item in a F2P game.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Ea, come on now, you're making it *really* hard for me to keep defending you. I like a challenge and all, but come on, you're being unreasonable now!

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
I won't blame EA for setting redicules prices, i blame idiots who PAY them prices. If they wouldn't pay it, they prices would go down, to logicl levels quickly. People paying it only encourges them. I will say for my part, When i buy DLC, it's only for a game I really REALLY like. (Mass Effect 2, Deus Ex, CoH spring to mind. I haven't even gotten the DLC for Arkum city yet because i'm not a fan of challange mode.) And I've only dont Micro transactions one ONE MMO, CoH, a game i played like an addicit for 7 years.

I'd never spend money on stuff like this. I hope people don't. Don't let EA get used to this kind of crap, because, they'll be releasing a game in a few weeks that i prey to god won't get littered with micro transactions. (SWTOR.) And with Mass Effect 3 a few months after that... lets hope this stuff fails epicly so they future stuff we (I) may want is more reasonably priced. >.<

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Looks like EA is going for the tricking little kids into buying super expensive things using mommy and daddy's credit card tactic. Damnit EA you are really making it difficult to defend you.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
Goddamnit. I loved Theme Park! Making my own roller coaster and watching all those customers walking off the buses or boats. Aw man, good times.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Considering the good ol' Theme Park could happily boil down to fleecing your stupid customers for as much as could be managed, there is a delightful humour to be found here. EA are savvy.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Irridium said:
Well what do you expect from a company that has subscription fees and DLC [http://www.destructoid.com/oh-ea-subscription-charges-added-to-tetris-mobile-app-217054.phtml] for fucking Tetris.
Subscription fee and dlc for tetris?

What the... seriously? Woah EA you are really the worst place on earth... i suspect there's a gateway to hell within EA's corridors.

And Tetris... the most basic game in history... did it really needed dlc and goddam fee's? WHAT THE HELL!?

EA = The cancer of gaming...