David Jaffe Doesn't Want Online Pass for Twisted Metal

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
David Jaffe Doesn't Want Online Pass for Twisted Metal

David Jaffe would rather not use an online pass system in the upcoming Twisted Metal revival, but admits it's not his call.

"I'd actually prefer that we don't do it," he said, when asked about Sony's controversial use of online pass codes in an interview with Eurogamer. "Even though it's probably good business, only because we have such a mountain to climb in terms of gaining people's good faith, especially in Europe, and really letting people know that this is a title that's worth getting excited about."

The online pass system requires users to enter a one-time-only code to access a game's online features. Players who bought the game second hand, or aquired it by more nefarious means, have to pay a premium to acquire a new code. Many proponents of the system maintain it's vital for fighting piracy, and allowing publishers to profit from second hand sales. Detractors argue that it's an intrusive system that puts profit before user convenience. Jaffe reckons that getting as many people to try Twisted Metals multiplayer features, and making that experience as convenient as possible, is more important than worrying about lost sales.

"I'm okay with the fact that we might lose sales on this first game if, because of it, we generate a lot of fans that otherwise wouldn't have played the game," he said. "The online is so much the bread and butter of this game, so I'm okay with it because it means we're setting ourselves up for a possible return to the franchise one day."

"I know that we have been asked to look into some code work for it but I don't believe that a decision has been made at this point. Or if it has been made it has not been shared with me yet," he said. "It's not my call and I'd totally understand if Sony as a company said 'Look, this is a mandate that permeates all of our titles. We're not making selective choices'. Those are decisions that I'm no longer privy to as I don't work for Sony any more."

Twisted Metal's release was recently pushed back to February 2012, a decision Jaffe insist was not made to avoid the Novemeber games rush. Talking about the issue; he offered one of his characteristically candid observations of the industry:

"I'd wear that as a badge of honour. Anyone who is basically not living in that quadruple-A stratosphere would be wise to get the fuck out of the way of that oncoming train. The fact that we swim in waters where it's not done for a developer or a publisher to admit that your game isn't currently one of those juggernauts, that doesn't necessarily speak about the quality of Twisted Metal. It just speaks to the fact that we know where it sits in the zeitgeist and we know where it sits in terms of marketing dollars and the hype machine."

Truth.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-07-jaffe-hopes-to-avoid-twisted-metal-online-pass]

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I was considering getting it after having destructive fun with the original two as a kid. I will definitely be getting it now. Treating me as an actual consumer and not just a bag of money goes a long way.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
Grey Carter said:
"I'd wear that as a badge of honour. Anyone who is basically not living in that quadruple-A stratosphere would be wise to get the fuck out of the way of that oncoming train. The fact that we swim in waters where it's not done for a developer or a publisher to admit that your game isn't currently one of those juggernauts, that doesn't necessarily speak about the quality of Twisted Metal. It just speaks to the fact that we know where it sits in the zeitgeist and we know where it sits in terms of marketing dollars and the hype machine."
Another arrogant troll developer running his mouth with trash talk to try and sell his game. I wonder why a 15 year old franchise like Twisted Metal lacks the "marketing dollars" and "hype machine" to be a part of the "zeitgeist" ? Maybe because they milked their brand into the dirt and weapon + driving games fell out of the mainstream a decade ago? Will they give you another chance after this one flops, Jaffe?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
See, this is why David Jaffe is awesome. I hope he can successfully keep the online pass bullshit out of this game. I wonder if we can help. Does anyone know if that "share" thing Sony ran where you can submit ideas is still active? ...Oh who am I kidding, Sony never listened to the ideas on that thing anyway. It doesn't matter if it's still around or not.

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
EverythingIncredible said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Retailers have a standard payment on game, they don't do it on a case by case basis. This isn't antiques roadhsow, the policy is "trade in 3 games and get a new one for $10
That's not how it works where I am from. You trade in games, you get in store credit depending on the game traded.

More popular games or games in demand could get you up to 25$ while others could get you as little as 25 cents.
That is how it works in my town too. The employees have a big book o' games that have a trade in value beside each one. New releases net a consumer 25$-30$, everything else is individually decided. Example: I just traded in Skyrim at GameStop today and got 32.60$ out of it.

RedEyesBlackGamer

Jan 23, 2011
OutrageousEmu said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Retailers have a standard payment on game, they don't do it on a case by case basis. This isn't antiques roadhsow, the policy is "trade in 3 games and get a new one for $10
That's not how it works where I am from. You trade in games, you get in store credit depending on the game traded.

More popular games or games in demand could get you up to 25$ while others could get you as little as 25 cents.
That is how it works in my town too. The employees have a big book o' games that have a trade in value beside each one. New releases net a consumer 25$-30$, everything else is individually decided. Example: I just traded in Skyrim at GameStop today and got 32.60$ out of it.
And do you have any evidence (you know, actual evidence) of athem paying less for a game with online passes?
I never buy games with online passes, so I have no experience with trading them in.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Let them sell the games for $/?10 less and let /everyone/ buy the online pass in the store. No more bloody codes in the box and people that don't care about multiplayer are better off to boot.

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
Well after all the depressing news EA has been generating, its nice to see that there are still some people in this industry who give a rat's ass about their consumers.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
The Twisted Metal series is still going?

Nostalgia bomb!

That was one of the first games I ever played when gaming became a choice for me and not something my grandmother made me do to keep me out of her hair...

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
You'd be losing sales with an online pass anyway since by taking away trading in your game, you are devaluing your product. Making people less likely to buy it in the first place.
I suspect, given the huge amounts of sales by some games with online passes, that you are talking about such a tiny section of the market that it really wouldn't matter, or come close to the amount of money they lose through providing servers/people buying second hand.

I don't have conclusive evidence for that, but equally I don't know of any game that comes with an online pass that has had any significant drop in expected sales

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
BrotherRool said:
You'd be losing sales with an online pass anyway since by taking away trading in your game, you are devaluing your product. Making people less likely to buy it in the first place.
I suspect, given the huge amounts of sales by some games with online passes, that you are talking about such a tiny section of the market that it really wouldn't matter, or come close to the amount of money they lose through providing servers/people buying second hand.

I don't have conclusive evidence for that, but equally I don't know of any game that comes with an online pass that has had any significant drop in expected sales
They don't lose any money through providing servers to people buying second hand. Those people are just taking the server space the original owner was taking. It's not like the original owner can go back online with it after they sell it can they?

At this point I don't buy games with online pass anymore because I used to often buy used and I find it kind of insulting.

And it's not so much about a sudden drop in sales. Like Jaffe says, it's about expanding your consumer base. If the best part of Twisted Metal is locked people are less likely to play it and less people will want to get the next title at launch. Also, I'm betting that one of the reasons that Battlefield 3 hasn't done as well as MW3 is because when someone rents or borrows it they can only play the lame campaign.

It is weird, the way the industry has been acting, it's like they're trying to stunt the consumer base for these big budget titles.