MechWarrior Online "Community Warfare" Explained

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
MechWarrior Online "Community Warfare" Explained

If you've been wondering how the real-time "Community Warfare" is going to work in MechWarrior Online, the latest Piranha Games dev blog is here to help.

One of the coolest things, potentially at least, about the upcoming MechWarrior Online is the promise of an organic, "living" Inner Sphere in which the fortunes of Houses, merc units and other factions will wax and wane in real time. But how exactly is that going to work?

"It all starts with the concept of the Inner Sphere and a living timeline," developers Paul Inouye and Bryan Ekman wrote in a new dev blog. "Wednesday December 7, 2011 is Wednesday December 7, 3048. This means that every time you log into MechWarrior Online, something new has happened. News updates via the ISN feed [https://twitter.com/#!/InnerSphereNews], news reporter features and battle feeds keep players up to date on current events."

Staying up to date will be an important part of the game because the nature of faction warfare means that things can and will change quickly and regularly. Players will be able to join a faction - a House, the FRR, whatever - or a mercenary company, or operate as a "lone wolf." The Inner Sphere itself will be divided into three types of worlds: Core Worlds, managed by the development team, that are "necessary for future planning and part of major historical events"; Faction Worlds, that do not play a "significant" historical role and that are fought over by Faction players; and Border Worlds, contested by mercenary companies by way of a contract bidding system and that have no impact on historical events.

Each type of planet offers particular bonuses to controlling factions or mercenary companies, and planets can even change from Border to Faction to Core and back as the needs of the game evolve. Players [except for Lone Wolves] will also earn "Loyalty Points" as they play, which will determine military ranks, the types of contracts available to merc companies and other bonuses. To encourage regular play, Loyalty Points will also be taken away from inactive players, which could lead to reductions in rank and loss of influence.

This is all based on beta concepts and Piranha said everything is subject to change as testing progresses, but the multiplayer-only nature of the game suddenly isn't sounding so bad after all. Full details of Piranha's plans for MechWarrior Online Community Warfare can be found at mwomercs.com [http://mwomercs.com/news/2011/12/44-dev-blog-1-community-warfare]. [There's also a really groovy map - don't miss it!]

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
So how does this game work? Is it MW5 or does it use the MK4 engine the official site doesnt seem to have much information

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
So...in effect it's MechAssault 2's Conquest mode, only far better and far more realized, played out in the same style as MechWarrior 2 and it's ilk?

Yep. I'm sold. I've been a fan of Battletech for years. So glad I already signed up.

Spacewolf said:
So how does this game work? Is it MW5 or does it use the MK4 engine the official site doesnt seem to have much information
It's supposedly a lot like the classic Mechwarrior series of game-play. I.E. Mech 2, 3, and 4.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Vigormortis said:
So...in effect it's MechAssault 2's Conquest mode, only far better and far more realized, played out in the same style as MechWarrior 2 and it's ilk?

Yep. I'm sold. I've been a fan of Battletech for years. So glad I already signed up.

Spacewolf said:
It's supposedly a lot like the classic Mechwarrior series of game-play. I.E. Mech 2, 3, and 4.
huh pretty cool pay per month i assume though unless it uses a microtransaction system

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I hope the mechanics are similar to MW3, not MW4. Also, the game's using CryEngine3 last I heard, so here's hoping their art assets are up to par as well.

I'm waiting with bated breath!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Roll on 3050 so I can smash through the Inner Sphere, this time past Tukayyid and all the way to Earth, for Kerensky and the Star League!

Ahem... where was I?

Looking forward to this game, Mechwarrior is made for an MMo, provided they get the blasting and stomping (and heat/armour/weapon system management) right all will be well.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
So they are remaking the multiplayer for chromehounds.

I guess it will be cool if it has servers that work.

TripleDaddy

Mar 17, 2010
So is anybody else old enough to have played BattleTech:3025 on GEnie?

I still have my House Davion hat.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Spacewolf said:
Vigormortis said:

Spacewolf said:
huh pretty cool pay per month i assume though unless it uses a microtransaction system
Free-to-play. I'm not sure what sort of system they are going to use to help support the game (I assume micro-transactions of some sort), but the game will be free-to-play.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Raiyan 1.0 said:
I hope the mechanics are similar to MW3, not MW4. Also, the game's using CryEngine3 last I heard, so here's hoping their art assets are up to par as well.

I'm waiting with bated breath!
I sincerely hope it's not. Having system requirements that high will put a severe damper on the player base.

But as for your first point, I whole-heartedly agree. I loved MechWarrior 3. It honestly felt far more tactical and immersive then 4 did.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
I'm not sure how their idea of syncing the calendars will work once you start hitting the various big events(Clan invasion, Lyran secession, Word of Blake splintering, etc)..My guess is they'll just say it's a fresh time line splitting off of the real story on game day 1.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
This is going to be ace. Seriously, it seems to be shaping up to be exactly what I'd hoped for when I first heard about this title. So much so that Im at the kind of nervous stage where I think it might end up going horribly wrong... :(

elilupe

Jun 1, 2009
If the gameplay is adequate, I will be getting this asap just because of how awesome this multiplayer sounds